Main Menu

Was there ANY news of the Dredd movie at Bristol??

Started by Buddy, 17 May, 2011, 05:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jock

hey all,

there's a totally legitimate reason why nothing more has been seen yet, and it's nothing to do with speculating this or that or the other. it's logistical and simply a matter of time. thanks for your patience...

radiator

QuoteI'm starting to get the impression that the powers that be think it's a bit of a turkey and are keeping a low profile so as not to draw attention to it.

Nah, I doubt that very much. I very much believe that the enthusiasm shown by John Wagner, Jock and Urban himself is sincere. John Wagner is a man of integrity - if he was genuinely displeased with the production, then I have no doubt that he would remain silent on the matter rather than giving it a glowing appraisal.

QuoteWhy not release a pic of Anderson... what possible harm could it do?

Certainly no more than the Lawmaster & Toyota pick up trucks pics, in fact a good publicity shot could only do the film good.

I'm beginning to think there aren't any good publicity shots.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that the big cheeses got very pissed off about the leaks so far (the script, the unflattering set spyshots), and have clamped down a lot since filming ended. From their point of view they are trying to protect their substantial investment. Again, I'm speculating, but I have got the impression that DNA and the people actually making the film are very keen to get material out there, but have been instructed not to do so yet by the movie's backers. The mysteruious Kapow! panel cancellation would seem to back this up.

Remember that there's a year to go before release and as others have said Dredd isn't likely to have the benefit of a massive advance publicity campaign - comparing it to a similar production - how much buzz was there about District 9 at this point in that films production? I don't think I was even aware of that film until it was about to be released.

dracula1

There's more conspiracy theories linked to this film than in the whole boxset of the X files. Thanks to Jock for shedding some light on it though.

dweezil2

Nice one Jock! Hopefully sanity can now be restored to the board!

Well partial sanity at any rate :lol:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Buddy

Quote from: jock on 18 May, 2011, 11:56:20 AM
hey all,

there's a totally legitimate reason why nothing more has been seen yet, and it's nothing to do with speculating this or that or the other. it's logistical and simply a matter of time. thanks for your patience...

Fair 'nuff Jock.... now... just tell us exactly what is the totally legitimate reason nothing more has been seen yet.....

Molch-R

Emperor

Quote from: Buddy on 18 May, 2011, 05:41:54 PM
hey all,

Fair 'nuff Jock.... now... just tell us exactly what is the totally legitimate reason nothing more has been seen yet.....

If I had to guess, it is because releasing pictures of Anderson would be A Big Deal and get some solid press. As I'd assume they haven't got skips full of cash to spend on advertising they are keeping their powder dry until closer to the time of the film's release so they can use precision-targeted PR to help build and then maintain momentum in the lead-up to the films release. You drop the Anderson picture too early and you get a spike in publicity but with nothing to back it up with the interest just fades and people get distracted by some other shiny film bauble. I can't think of many films that start their publicity a year early - most of the images from, for example, Captain America and X-Men: First Class were also snatched in public places and the PR machine didn't start rolling until a long time after that.

As I've said before, I suspect some of the sneaked pictures from the Dredd set were disappointing because there is a lot of post-production required - it is just cheaper these days to do it digitally than build a lot of props and sets. Adding all that takes time too.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Christov

Would rather see the film when the post effects are looking competent.

See early Green Lantern reactions for what happens when you show a film when the effects are primitive.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Buddy on 18 May, 2011, 05:41:54 PM
hey all,

Seriously why should a private film company tell us anything yet until it's ready? There is absolutely nothing abnormal with there not being any news/pictures at this time, IT WON'T BE OUT FOR A YEAR! We aren't working for them, they don't owe us anything, we are the same as any punters. Releasing anything now is obviously not part of the intended schedule which is not only designed around impatient fanboys.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Emperor on 18 May, 2011, 06:55:31 PMAs I've said before, I suspect some of the sneaked pictures from the Dredd set were disappointing because there is a lot of post-production required - it is just cheaper these days to do it digitally than build a lot of props and sets. Adding all that takes time too.

or simply the fact that the pictures had nothing to with cinematography or craft, like a restaurant advertising their courses with uncooked food.

mogzilla

perhaps people are just after something simple like a test shot of the costumes like the sort of thing they'll put in the making of...book

JOE SOAP

What's wrong with waiting, like we used to?

We'll be sick of it this time next year.

mogzilla

your talking to the bloke who bought every tie-in novel /comic etc ,i'm naturally impatient :D

W. R. Logan

Personally I couldn't give a stuff that we've seen bugger all.
It's not out till next year so id rather see some pics and a trailer a few months before it's release.

Meathook

Well I think you may be onto something there a la turkey, let's hope it gets an actual screening and is not put straight to DVD!!!!! >:( >:(
Each peach pear plum!