Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Geoff on 21 November, 2019, 11:23:35 PM
Not me!

In the same auction, the art for the famous Crumb 'Stoned Agin' poster sold for $690,000!

There's some rich people out there who like underground stuff..

Yeah, I just saw that one! Baby Boomers have all the cash.

Original Art heads are speculating that the mystery buyer of Dredd stuff might be Manuel-From-Fawlty-Towers-Shame broadcaster, Jonathan Ross*. He bought the McMahon Dredd-In-Big-Chair cover that was recently up for auction, apparently.

I noticed this detail on the original art, which made me laugh:

* Although, like every UK comic fan of his age, Ross's primary interest is in sixties Marvel, he seems to have a genuine interest in some aspects of 2000ad art, rather than just being a speculator or compulsive collector: https://youtu.be/62zIih0bdLc?t=598

Geoff

He bought the McMahon Dredd-In-Big-Chair cover that was recently up for auction,]
[/quote]

Makes me feel better about being the under-bidder on that one! I may be a comfortable Gen X'er but I can't compete with Wossy's Boomer millions!

Colin YNWA

Stunning piece up on eBay by Chris Weston. Many will have seen this via Faciebooks I'm sure but just incase I think this deserves as much exposure as possible - even for those of use for whom it is well out of range.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Judge-Dredd-fully-painted-original-poster-art-by-Chris-Weston-2000ad-2000-ad/202980352662?hash=item2f42926296:g:WVwAAOSwpPlerJKy

ming

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 03 May, 2020, 01:42:20 PM
Stunning piece up on eBay by Chris Weston. Many will have seen this via Faciebooks I'm sure but just incase I think this deserves as much exposure as possible - even for those of use for whom it is well out of range.

Yeah, that's a stunner - absolutely jaw-dropping work by That Nice Mister Weston.

ming

I picked up another beautiful Rogan Gosh page a while back, one of my favourites from the whole story.  There's so much going on in this page and it's as good an example of McCarthy's artistry as I could wish for.  Milligan's dialogue on this page is just as good as the art - one of those pieces I love as much for the words as for the pictures.

I got a few other McCarthy bits and bobs recently but I'll dump those in another thread later.

Colin YNWA

CalHab

That's incredible. I don't know if I've ever seen a McCarthy piece for sale, and that ones an absolute beauty. Where did you find it, if you don't mind me asking?

ming

Quote from: CalHab on 07 May, 2020, 09:57:44 AM
That's incredible. I don't know if I've ever seen a McCarthy piece for sale, and that ones an absolute beauty. Where did you find it, if you don't mind me asking?

It was listed on Heritage Auctions, a US-based site (https://www.ha.com/).  They've had a few McCarthy pieces there over the past few years (I've bought a few); I think most have come via the art dealer Albert Moy, who bought a huge pile of stuff from Brendan about 10 years ago (I think).

I've found a few McCarthy pieces on eBay over the years but they don't seem to pop up often.

Brendan also sold off some stuff himself recently; nothing 2000AD-related but a few gems (he emailed out a list, first come, first served.  I'll post some pieces in the non-2000AD art thread later).

ming

CalHab, there are a few McCarthy pieces available here but several of these were bought from Heritage and are just being resold at inflated prices (earlier Heritage sales here).  Buy a page for under $300, sell it on for $1,200... Art dealers, huh?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 08 May, 2020, 07:48:05 AM
CalHab, there are a few McCarthy pieces available here but several of these were bought from Heritage and are just being resold at inflated prices (earlier Heritage sales here).  Buy a page for under $300, sell it on for $1,200... Art dealers, huh?

There is some lovely stuff but as you say seems quite expensive (mind a lot of art is going that way). $100 for a single colour guide wow!

CalHab

I was watching that Kev O'Neill page on eBay, and noticed quite a few other pages up at the moment. Prices seem like they're falling, which wouldn't be surprising. Or is it just the pages I'm watching (which aren't the top end of the market)?

RaggedMan

How do you find the Kevin O'Neill page?
I mean there's probably no way i'll ever be able to afford anything but it's nice to dream occasionally!

Colin YNWA

Prices on eBay of the type of thing I'm looking at seem to be much of a muchness. At the moment I'm still getting some great deals - hopefully without the artists feeling short changed - by contacting artists direct or dealing with their 'agents' or in the case of some just folks who help out cos they are nice (Wiggz if you still come here, yes that's you!).

There are also a couple of 2000ad original art groups on Facebook worth checking out. You could certainly ask about Kev O'Neill stuff but I'd imagine folks would be reluctant to sell - but there has to be a point when stuff moves on...

CalHab

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 May, 2020, 01:14:53 PM
Prices on eBay of the type of thing I'm looking at seem to be much of a muchness. At the moment I'm still getting some great deals - hopefully without the artists feeling short changed - by contacting artists direct or dealing with their 'agents' or in the case of some just folks who help out cos they are nice (Wiggz if you still come here, yes that's you!).

I had a very happy experience getting some Henry Flint pages through Wiggz.

Wiggz

Colin and CalHab - I do still come by here every now and then -thank you both for those nice comments. =)