Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Which is what I said.For those who already read the book,its not really worth it IMO.

CalHab

That would be me then. I enjoyed the first two issues.

Smith

Night Owl Society #1 A very interesting setup,but its so obviously a movie pitch its embarrassing.
Hook Jaw #5 That certainty ended with a bang. :)
X-O Manowar #2 Kindt isn't in a hurry,it seems.But this is one of the rare cases where decompression works,so...

CalHab

Quote from: CalHab on 27 April, 2017, 07:35:57 AM
That would be me then. I enjoyed the first two issues.

Just to clarify, I meant that I haven't read the book but am enjoying the comics. Which agrees with what Smith said.

Smith

I got you the first time.  :)
In that case,knock yourself out,its a fun read.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Smith on 27 April, 2017, 08:02:36 AM
Night Owl Society #1 A very interesting setup,but its so obviously a movie pitch its embarrassing.
Hook Jaw #5 That certainty ended with a bang. :)
X-O Manowar #2 Kindt isn't in a hurry,it seems.But this is one of the rare cases where decompression works,so...

Get ya self over to the 'New Comic book day mega thread' its perfect for this kinda chat!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=35547.0

Smith

I know,I just posted here because Im lazy.
You might as well answer there if you have a comment. :)

Tony Angelino

I'm currently reading the "I may get shot for this..." thread on this very forum. Just when you thought it was about Carlos it turns out to be Ron.

It is gripping stuff. Lee Child take note.

JoFox2108

Quote from: positronic on 27 April, 2017, 01:12:34 AM
Quote from: Smith on 26 April, 2017, 01:42:26 PM
I complain way too often about an adaptation being different from the source,but with American Gods,its quite the reverse.Its the same thing,but with pictures.I know that statement makes no sense,but Its kinda how I feel.So,for those who read the book,dont expect anything new here.Which isnt necessarily a bad thing...Anyway,sweet covers.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless the reader's expectation going into it was different. I'm not clear on why it would be unless someone was under the impression of a prequel/sequel, as opposed to a straight adaptation. Clearly not everyone reading the adaptation will have read the prose version beforehand.
I was thinking of reading American God's for the first time, but if there's a comic version I think I'll go for that.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

QuoteIt's all a deep end.

Fungus

Seriously behind with the prog & meg recently, but got up to speed finally today. Decided to cut the pull-list completely (excepting the odd series about to finish, eg. Providence, etc.). Being constantly behind is simply annoying. Anything umissable appears, I'll buy a trade (That'll be Black Hammer and  few others... Fair enough)

Anyway, point is: read Unfollow 16 & 17 today, wonderful stuff. It's became a 'clearer' read in recent months, a reduced cast does make it more enjoyable. The points made about social media are broadly true but as an old fart I take some of it with a pinch of salt. It's clever and thought-provoking but the online world is not everything, even if things do continue in that direction.

Unfollow is a landmark series though, Rob W & Michael D should feel proud of themselves.

positronic

HONDO CITY LAW by John Wagner & Colin MacNeil; Robbie Morrison & Frank Quitely/Andy Clarke/Neil Googe. - I guess I should have read the initial Wagner/MacNeil story (featuring Judge Inspector Totaro Sadu) prior to reading Judgment Day, if I'd known beforehand that he was going to be an important character in it. Oh well. I winced a little at the pidgin-English VO narration by Wagner in that first story ("Our Man in Hondo City"), an embarrassment when read today (and now that I think of it, even at the time it was first published), but otherwise a good story. I quite liked the main character that dominates this collection, Judge Inspector Aiko Inaba of Hondo City. I was surprised at how brief of an on-panel career as a Judge Inspector Shimura had -- were there other stories prior to these not included here? Or would there be more of those included in the HONDO CITY JUSTICE trade collection? I liked the story and most of the artwork here (Neil Googe's work struck me as more of a Marvel-type art style).

positronic

KIKAIDER CODE 02 Vol. 1 (of 6) Story by Shotaro Ishinomori; artwork by MEIMU - This was a translation produced by CMX, a briefly-existent sub-imprint of DC's Wildstorm, in 2005 (originally published by Kadokawa Shoten in 2001 in Japan). It's a good superhero story, an updated retelling of Ishinomori's follow-up to the hit tokusatsu television series Kamen Rider, Android KIKAIDER. This follows along with many of the same sci-fi tropes as Osamu Tezuka's AstroBoy, and shares some of the same inspirations (Collodi's Pinnochio and Shelley's Frankenstein), but the specifics of what themes interest Ishinomori about the topic of artificial humans have more to do with the Jewish tale of The Golem, and a traditional Japanese tale about the legend of Minamoto Yoshitsune. In this story robotics genius Dr. Komyoji creates Jiro, an android in human form, resembling his dead son Ichiro (again similar to Tezuka's AstroBoy, but from there the story skews in a different direction than Tezuka's). Dr. Komyoji has created for Jiro a "Gemini Circuit" conscience chip (a reference to Jiminy Cricket), so he can recognize evil and resist serving its ends, but he disappears before perfecting the circuit, so he was never sure if it would work or not. Jiro appears human, but is conflicted by how the circuit processes information in his electronic brain. He's able to transform his appearance into a combat mode that appears more like a standard robotic exterior, but it's divided down the middle, one half blue, one half red (with partial transparent shell revealing the circuitry beneath), and symbolizing the conflict of his robot self as a machine made to obey orders, and his android self as an artificial human of free will. I'm not familiar with mangaka MEIMU's prior work, but this is a decent modern update for the turn of the millenium, if perhaps a little overly busy in some panels for the kind of pace most manga are intended to be read at. Overall a 3.5 out of 5, a good start for a series, and hopefully it develops even more as it goes along.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: JoFox2108 on 30 April, 2017, 11:33:13 PM
Quote from: positronic on 27 April, 2017, 01:12:34 AM
Quote from: Smith on 26 April, 2017, 01:42:26 PM
I complain way too often about an adaptation being different from the source,but with American Gods,its quite the reverse.Its the same thing,but with pictures.I know that statement makes no sense,but Its kinda how I feel.So,for those who read the book,dont expect anything new here.Which isnt necessarily a bad thing...Anyway,sweet covers.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, unless the reader's expectation going into it was different. I'm not clear on why it would be unless someone was under the impression of a prequel/sequel, as opposed to a straight adaptation. Clearly not everyone reading the adaptation will have read the prose version beforehand.
I was thinking of reading American God's for the first time, but if there's a comic version I think I'll go for that.

Sent from my HUAWEI M2-A01W using Tapatalk

For my money the best version of American Gods is the incredible full-cast audio book they made for the anniversary of its release a couple year back. Mind I haven't seen any of the TV show yet so maybe that will beat it - but I doubt it :)

positronic

It's interesting that you can do many different versions of the same story for different media, and yet all of them can still be interesting, even though they all follow the same story closely. I'm thinking of something like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

Theblazeuk

Ah yes but H2G2 is quite different in all its formats