Main Menu

'Concrete'

Started by bigjobs67, 31 January, 2012, 01:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Chuff me that is lovely

Colin YNWA

Right you lot are in trouble now, okay I own enough comics already damnit.

All this talk of Concrete, here and elsewhere as it goes coursed me to check out the limited amount of Concrete I had from back in the day, never got round to rediscovering it since I returned to comics, so many things to check out. Anyway I dug out 'A New Life' part 2 and within about 6 pages (I was only meant to be flicking through) I was completely sold.

So my question is how do the new slightly smaller trades serve the series, do they cramp the art or does it work okay?

TordelBack

It works okay.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the two old 2000AD-size collections I have, but the repro in the small trades is generally very good and they each have a nice Chadwick introduction. 

The only one to watch is probably Strange Armour (Vol 6), the colour series, which is de-coloured for this edition, which for me makes the art a bit disappointing (but then I don't own the original).

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 March, 2012, 09:32:27 AM
It works okay.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer the two old 2000AD-size collections I have, but the repro in the small trades is generally very good and they each have a nice Chadwick introduction. 

The only one to watch is probably Strange Armour (Vol 6), the colour series, which is de-coloured for this edition, which for me makes the art a bit disappointing (but then I don't own the original).

Yeah the Complete Concrete volumes do look very nice (the cover of the first one is lovely) but alas they have fallen into the realm of trade collections that sell for silly money (well you can get them from the US but that has the same effect). So its either a nice set of the newer trades OR the floppies, and trades to fill gaps, which I think would get complex?

EDIT to add: And having looked at that useful link from Judge Jack it becomes clear that even getting the floppies will mean needing to get a number of the trades anyway. Which kinda boxes off the decision.

Spikes

Colin, if you was to buy the newer trades, then you wouldnt need to buy a great deal else as they collect literally everything, barring, of course, the three new stories from last years relaunched DHP's.
In fact, these trades contain some Concrete material that you cant get anywere else.
Though i dont own any of these myself - im strictly floppies when it comes to Concrete, i do own those large "2000ad" style reprint collections that Tordel refers to. And very lovely they are too.

Had a look on E-Bay earlier, and whats on the UK site is a bit pricey for some reason, but believe me, you can pick up most Concrete stuff for peanuts really. Guess its down to waiting and pouncing on the bargains.

TordelBack

Tell you what Colin, I'll try to get some photos together of the four of the dinky trades that I have - they are quite handsome, if I hadn't started into Concrete before they came out I'd probably have got all seven myself.

Colin YNWA

Thanks for the offer but to be honest I'm sold. The size isn't too much smaller than the floppies and the same size as my Complete Bone (what, what???) and the Black and White Zot! which we have in the library I work in and so I had a nosey at and decided it wasn't a bad package at all and I love me Zot! floppies. I did a dry run order on Book Dep (I do this a lot, load them into the cart then try to ignore them until the next day. If I still want them then I know I want them. I've been inching all day so I know I'll get them) and they come to just over £50 which for the amount of comics included is really good.

The frustrating thing is the floppies are dirt cheap in the US 'Mycomicshop' has all the series at silly cheap prices. Postage gets in the way and I know, much as I love my floppies, I'd be irritated that for a little less and could have the whole kit and caboodle.

Looking back though its amazing that you can do this. Concrete was one of any number of black and white independents that I enjoyed when I first collected in the late 80s early 90s but continually struggled to get hold of, especially if you didn't get in at the get go. Some I kept going with, others, like Concrete I didn't see enough of to really get going on, some I tried but gave up on 'cos you couldn't find enough. Hence my collection had say 7 Mr Monster books, 8 Megaton Mans, 6, Naughty bits, 7 Fish Police etc etc. These days on almost a whim I can get all of Concrete. Cos I'm lucky having a little extra cash is a big factor (I used to skip lunch at school to get as much comic money as possible) but so are the likes of Dave Sim, for all his modern madness, for really kicking the doors open...

... and on that tangent I will continue to try to resist pressing 'Checkout' until the morning.

Evil Pants

For those of you interested, Dark Horse just solicited a floppy containing the brand new Concrete stories that Chadwick did for the latest incarnation of Dark Horse Presents:

CONCRETE: THREE UNEASY PIECES
Paul Chadwick (W/A/Cover)
On sale July 18
FC, 24 pages
$2.99
One-shot
One of the medium's all-time greats is back in this collection of Concrete stories from the relaunched Dark Horse Presents! In three new adventures, the most human of heroes intervenes in a burglary that turns out to be much more, investigates a possible sighting of the aliens who gave him his rocky body, and develops an alternative to the Taser: himself. This issue strikes the perfect balance of inviting stories for new readers and character development for longtime fans!

• Collecting the Concrete stories from Dark Horse Presents #1–#3!
• Great jumping on point for new readers!
My opinions on comics can be found here: http://fourcoloursandthetruth.wordpress.com/

Webcomics, as written by me, can be found here: http://condoofmystery.com/

Spikes

For those looking to grab some really cheap Concrete comics, the original first ten issues are on E-Bay now  -   
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CONCRETE-ISSUES-1-10-1ST-PRINT-PAUL-CHADWICK?item=261004651348

Seller states there all first prints, and in good condition, and for a combined price of just over a tenner (at the moment...), you really cant go wrong. Only just over a day left on these though, so look lively people!

Spikes

Still no sign of the long promised new series, but found this rather nifty Motion Comic.

Colin YNWA

AND Necroposting is on... cos that's what a two year reading list does to ya.

Anyway finished reading the first four Dark Horse volumes of Concrete over the last week or so with a lot of public transport with one thing or another and have to say they are simply superb. Quite brilliant comics. Often people talk about the deconstruction of the superhero. Or other titles presenting a realistic vision of people with superpowers and frankly I'm hard pressed to think of any that have done it was well as Concrete.

Its a wonderfully written, beautifully observed, reflection on what might occur if Ben Grimm (he is The Thing right - physically at least) was a different man in a more sober world. Its beautifully mundane. The challenges he faces so often more to do with internal struggle not outer shells. The series has a fantastic supporting cast that helps earth things and cast light upon the series eponymous star. There are times when I stopped and pondered the stoic nature of Ron, though the characterisation is strong enough throughout that I conclude this is more to do with the love of the superhero genre and the marks its left on me. Concrete is not the story of a superhero mind, its more an autobiography and a study of human nature and self doubt, regardless of how bound it is by apparent strength, be it physical or sexual - in the case of Larry.

All that before I even touch the art, the oh so glorious art. One of Concrete's 'powers' is the ability to see with incredible accuracy regardless of light and distance. This could be said to use Concrete's ability to see detail in beauty in the world as a sobering force to counter his grim harsh external shell. It reflects some of the environment tones the strip has... but lets be honest its surely there to showcase and show off how fuckin' glorious Paul Chadwick's art is! Just stunning.

I've recently read Matt Wagner's Grendel and adored that. This is just as good, if not better. Simply the best comics. Can't wait until next month(ish) when I'll read the final three volumes.

TordelBack

Heh, knew you'd like 'em!  And for all the right reasons too.

Colin YNWA

Yeah it was a safe bet.

Meant to say as well reading it in these collections really works as well. Okay so at times there's moments of frustration that you know the art would just sing if presented in a larger format but that aside it really adds to the experience. Typically each volume contains longer story in chronological order surrounded by vignettes from whenever in the tale and it really works. It makes it read as a series of memoires, a strong central narrative which spins off into associated memories and reflections.

The art, while it fluctuates, mainly in the inking remains largely consistent as to not affect the reading.

Spikes

Great stuff Colin. Glad you had a blast reading these!

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 June, 2014, 10:09:19 PM
Can't wait until next month(ish) when I'll read the final three volumes.

I've not got these new-ish collections, but assuming you're reading them in order, then you have some mighty Concrete goodness yet to read - 'Killer Smile', 'Strange Amour', and my personal favourite 'Think Like a Mountain'.

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 June, 2014, 10:09:19 PM
AND Necroposting is on... cos that's what a two year reading list does to ya.

Yes, reading lists can become never ending at times (Which reminds me, I must crack on, as well!), but if you need to gorge out on Chadwick some more, then his non-Concrete comic's - 'The World Below' is pretty good. Shame it only lasted two series - http://www.weisshahn.de/concrete/world2.htm

Colin YNWA

'Killer Smile' was the 'led' in volume 4 and was quite chilling in that mundane earthed way Paul Chadwick has mastered in Concrete.

QuoteYes, reading lists can become never ending at times (Which reminds me, I must crack on, as well!), but if you need to gorge out on Chadwick some more, then his non-Concrete comic's - 'The World Below' is pretty good. Shame it only lasted two series - http://www.weisshahn.de/concrete/world2.htm

Thanks for the heads up on that - will defo check it out. Thanks for getting me onto Concrete. It might not have been you who started this thread but it was certainly your contribution that put me in mind of digging out what I had, which led me to buying the rest.