Main Menu

UK edition vs. US edition

Started by Judge MANSON, 16 November, 2013, 01:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge MANSON

Hi perps.

I have bough a lot of graphic novels from Rebellion. And I have two problems, actually.

The first problem: the quality of the books.

Mostly are printed in Malta and bound in the UK. These editions are perfect: sewn booklets so the reader can easily open his/her book to read the the box texts near the bleeding cuts without the fear to crack the book.

Some of the books are printed and bound in the USA. Good printing BUT the binding process is the worst one: glued cut pages... Despite being freshly printed, some books have inside cracks, and, if you are lucky, the first and the last pages of the books are so badly glued to the main block of pages that you can see the glue AND the cover paper between the block of pages and these so "lucky" pages... My "Ten-Seconders" is with these "disagreements"...

And, some books are printed and bound in the Canada: same printing and binding processes than the USA BUT with a true better quality on the binding process. No cracks, no appearing glue and cover between the pages (see "Shimura").

I looked at the ISBN to find an answer from where the wanted book is printed, but I found no clues...

Someone has these clues so I can bough UK only editions???

The second problem is the story content.

I do not know about you but I have bough "Mega-City Undercover" volume 01 AND "Lenny Zero and the perps of Mega-City One". What a cruel deception this Lenny Zero!!!!! It reprints the stories from the Mega-City Undercover" graphic novel and the "Loco" stories that were published in the GN edition contained with the JD Meg magazine!!!!

"Undercover" is the true UK edition and "Lenny" is "only" its light US copy. I also tried to find an answer with the ISBN, but nothing!!!!

So, is it possible for the Droids working on these graphic novels to clearly state which edition is and where the books are intended to be sold????? It will greatly help the readers to now this.

I know that I can be easily upset when something is negative about the book quality, but when I buy two books with near similar contents, then, Blessed The All Mighty Tharg To Show Me The Holy Way Of Peace In My Tormented Mind...

So, Judges and perps, have you some problems like mine???
Respect the Law, Citizen! Rebel and you will pray Mercy to my gun!

IndigoPrime

A good rule of thumb is to check the UK RRP (NOT the Amazon sale price) of a book on Amazon.co.uk. If it's x.99, it's most likely a UK book. If it's some random other figure (like £9.31), it's most likely a US book.

radiator

Or, in future, just ask on this board - plenty of people here will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Judge MANSON

Thank you very well for your answers!!!

I prefer to ask, then to order the book. If I need to buy the book from the Rebellion shop, no problems. It's better to pay more and to receive the books without a scratch than to use Amazon and to pray to be lucky in the shipping lottery... and with the books' conditions too...

Thanks from Euro-Cit // South District // Sector 13 // [CLASSIFIED]

Dark Jimbo

Yeah, you'll end up doubling up on content quite a lot if you mix the UK-US books. On the whole the UK books are very complete collections of their respective stories/characters, aiming at compiling the complete runs in publication order. The US stuff tends to cherrypick the best stuff, or work by creators whose name on the cover will shift copies (so a lot of Millar/Morrisson stuff in print, even though the material is pretty sub-par).

As Radiator says, stick a cover pic or Amazon link in this thread next time you're in doubt and we'll be able to tell you.
@jamesfeistdraws

Judge MANSON

Thanks Dark Jimbo!!!

I am not against an US edition mainly based on the authors names: the 'ricans buy their books ONLY and ONLY IF it is done by his author or this one. Crazy...

I am just angry because instead to have spend my money into an US "lite" copy, I would have spend it for an other book in its true UK edition.

Hey!! Droids at Rebellion!!! If you read this: make TWO DIFFERENT spines for the books, an US one and an UK one, and keep your higher printing and binding processes done in Malta and in the UK for the UK editions. Thanks.