Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Tankie

Looking forward to tomorrow, think it will be a long night!

Professor Bear

Quote from: Prodigal2 on 07 June, 2017, 10:12:08 AM
I have just realised that my last post might read as a "republicans started it" analysis. That was not my intent.

I remember having it explained to us in high school that it was actually the French who started it by stirring the pot in Ireland to get at the British over something they did to the Spanish, but before I could learn the clearly-fascinating ins and outs, I quit history and did art instead.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Old Tankie on 06 June, 2017, 07:16:49 PM
Wow! That's an old photo, even before my time, looking at the kit I would say '69 or '70.

Forgiven my lack of knowledge, but does the black berets mean those guys are Tank Regiment?
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 June, 2017, 10:59:27 AM
I'm dreading it, and what follows.

I wonder how long it'll be before Davis and May decide that the EU's reciprocal deal for EU citizens isn't acceptable because the EU wants them to retain rights (which the Conservatives promised, but now call "ridiculous"). Three months? Two? One? And then that's it: the hardest of Brexits. Still, I'm sure throwing six million people under the bus was always part of the plan. I mean, I don't recall anyone ever saying that (including every leading Leave figure from Johnson to Farage), but someone must have, right? After all, May said we all voted with our eyes open.

Still, I suppose if the worst comes to the worst, the house we built is just a house. And someone here might get a nice bargain when I have to flog all my comics on eBay.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 07 June, 2017, 11:44:01 AM
Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 June, 2017, 10:59:27 AM
I'm dreading it, and what follows.

I wonder how long it'll be before Davis and May decide that the EU's reciprocal deal for EU citizens isn't acceptable because the EU wants them to retain rights (which the Conservatives promised, but now call "ridiculous"). Three months? Two? One? And then that's it: the hardest of Brexits. Still, I'm sure throwing six million people under the bus was always part of the plan. I mean, I don't recall anyone ever saying that (including every leading Leave figure from Johnson to Farage), but someone must have, right? After all, May said we all voted with our eyes open.

Still, I suppose if the worst comes to the worst, the house we built is just a house. And someone here might get a nice bargain when I have to flog all my comics on eBay.

Can't help feeling the same. I'm just hoping it's not too much of a massacre despite the 'positive polls' for the opposition parties. I wonder what the secret focus groups have been telling the political pollsters?
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Old Tankie

Hi Proudhuff, I can't make out the cap badge, but in 69 either in Derry or Belfast it would probably be infantry.
Tank and artillery regiments didn't start re-training until 1970.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 07 June, 2017, 11:18:59 AM
Forgiven my lack of knowledge, but does the black berets mean those guys are Tank Regiment?

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Jim, i'm gonna have to report you for that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 07 June, 2017, 11:48:04 AMCan't help feeling the same. I'm just hoping it's not too much of a massacre despite the 'positive polls' for the opposition parties. I wonder what the secret focus groups have been telling the political pollsters?
The problem with polling is quiet right-wingers. It seems Electoral Calculus has taken them into account (and also the likelihood young people won't bother to vote), hence their guess of a Tory majority that's been in the high double figures/low 100s. But even their 'low pollsters' model only just intersects with minority/hung parliament zones. Additionally, it looks like a mainstream liberal/pro-Europe party simply won't exist in England come Friday, which is a loss to British politics.

I just hope by some miracle my family won't now have to spend seven grand or so on a hugely expensive coin flip. I'm not optimistic.

Old Tankie

No, he's not a Tankie, he's too clean!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Old Tankie on 07 June, 2017, 11:55:38 AM
Hi Proudhuff, I can't make out the cap badge, but in 69 either in Derry or Belfast it would probably be infantry.
Tank and artillery regiments didn't start re-training until 1970.

cheers! A colleague at my work has mentioned being stuck in the back of a landrover and driven around, but he was artillery, will show him that pic regardless.

Jim, Is that  Robert DeNiro from the Deerhunter?
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

Dianne Abbott has stepped down after being diagnosed with a "serious, long term condition", so we can look forward to seeing plenty of "she's just faking it because she's so rubbish and shit" comments.

Modern Panther

QuoteThe problem with polling is quiet right-wingers.

I honestly believe that the "shy Tory" issue is a thing of the past, from an era when people were actually embarrassed about voting to destroy public services for their own financial benefit.  With just about every media outlet shouting about what terrible person Corbyn is, I think that there are going to be plenty of shy Labour voters, worried about expressing their opinion lest they be called terrorist sympathizers. 

Professor Bear

I also don't see what's on offer to the soft left, centrist and floating voters who supposedly switched to the Tories in 2015.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Professor Bear on 07 June, 2017, 02:37:04 PM
Dianne Abbott has stepped down after being diagnosed with a "serious, long term condition", so we can look forward to seeing plenty of "she's just faking it because she's so rubbish and shit" comments.

I think you're being pretty optimistic by not including comments on her race or appearance in those comments.