Main Menu

Doctor Who - Series 10 (Spoilers)

Started by Taryn Tailz, 16 April, 2017, 01:57:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

That episode was poopy twee guff.

shaolin_monkey

Well, that episode was a bit of a combo breaker. What a shame.

JamesC

Whenever there's a plot revolving around a planet wide invasion it always turns out to be a rubbish story.
Dr Who is much better when he's saving a small outpost or a space station or something.

IndigoPrime

I tend to agree, although the set-up for this one was good. But, yeah, that last episode was, as my wife put it, "meh". Disappointing, given the highs this series has hit so far.

edgeworthy

Quote from: JamesC on 04 June, 2017, 03:13:21 PM
Whenever there's a plot revolving around a planet wide invasion it always turns out to be a rubbish story.
Dr Who is much better when he's saving a small outpost or a space station or something.

Yes, planetary invasions require explosions. Insane monologues, someone going Ha!Ha!Ha!
(And preferably Daleks randomly gunning down bystanders ... that's what Daleks are for!)

Steve Green

I don't know, the catty exchanges between the Daleks and Cybermen a few series back made me laugh.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Steve Green on 04 June, 2017, 07:34:08 PM
I don't know, the catty exchanges between the Daleks and Cybermen a few series back made me laugh.

Cyberman: Our technologies are compatible, though your design is less elegant.

Dalek Thay: Daleks have no concept of elegance!

Cyberman: This is obvious.

Cyber Leader: Daleks, be warned. You have declared war upon the Cybermen.

Dalek Sec: This is not war - this is pest control!

Cyber Leader: We have five million Cybermen. How many are you?

Dalek Sec: Four.

Cyber Leader: You would destroy the Cybermen with four Daleks?

Dalek Sec: We would destroy the Cybermen with one Dalek! You superior in only one respect.

Cyber Leader: What is that?

Dalek Sec: You are better at dying.

:D

Tiplodocus

Love and pixie dust resolves lots of things in Doctor Who these days. I've grown to accept that. So if you are going to do it, do it well and I think that one did. Especially with the revelation that the Doctor was somewhat instrumental in it (even though he didn't know at the time).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Goaty

This episode was okay, but it very familiar as Vampires control the world in Series 4 of Being Human.

Even the creator of Being Human; Toby Whithouse is the writer of this episode. And he will take over Doctor Who next series.

Steve Green

Chris Chibnall is the new showrunner.

Goaty

Taryn Tailz

Yep, it's Chris Chibnall who shall be replacing Moffat.

Link Prime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 04 June, 2017, 02:29:05 PM
Well, that episode was a bit of a combo breaker. What a shame.

The one before it broke the combo for me.
Really didn't enjoy this Evil Monk tale, despite the left field set-up episode.

Monk 1; Finally we have control of the Earth.
Monk 2; Yessss...
Monk 1; Now we must ensure the populace never question the fact that we have "always" been here.
Monk 2; Hey- why don't we call our Gestapo type law enforcement 'The Thought Police'?
Monk 1; <Facepalm>

CrazyFoxMachine

I fell asleep about quarter of an hour into the episode and woke up at the end and I thought "OH I'VE MISSED SOMETHING" so I went back and watched it but alas

I had missed nothing. The Bill, Nardole & Doc dynamic is still great but this whole Monk thing has been a real dull suspensionless plot-holey trudge.

Huey2

If you're going to tackle issues - and the production team had said that's what they were doing - like totalitarian regimes, then I think you've got a responsibility to be honest about them.

Life under the monks didn't seem too bad. Sure, you'd get carted off if you said they hadn't always been around but apart from that all that they asked was that you wore standard issue clothing. Having queued up today behind somebody at the supermarket whose arsecrack was on display I'd welcome the monks.

It also seemed pretty easy to get around in this supposed totalitarian regime.

Fairy dust fixes too much in Doctor Who at the moment but the frustration is that when the right writer comes along they are able to solve any problems logically and with no cop out. 3 weeks earlier we had Oxygen where the Doctor was trapped by a horde of space zombies with his companion apparently dead. All of this were solved satisfactorily and cleverly with no fall back on deus ex machina.