Main Menu

Who is buying the Titan books?

Started by DavidXBrunt, 15 April, 2002, 04:52:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Well that clinches it. The cheaper price of a paperback makes it a lot more appealing. Thanks Jamie.

Aaron Smurf Murphy

When it comes to Titans releases i've bought
D.R and Quinch after seeing the first few chapters
in the Megazine and found it a very worthwhile purchase. I've only been a fan of 2000ad since october (they had free copies of 1261 at the galleries of justice during the Dredd exhibition) and look forward to Titans re-releases.

I have to admit thought,what the HELL is going on with Zenith lads? It's been delayed since, what, november?

Finnigan

opaque

Well in regards to Zenith I've got a Titan Books New Title Information sheet in front of me for Zenith: Phase 2 (2000ad Presents 9) with a publication date of 22 March 2002.
And under selling points it says:
Out of print since 1990, comic fans have been clamouring for the return of Zenith. Phase II will be followed by Phase III and the never-before collectoed colour Phase IV.'

But then on Helter Skelter it does say 'An all news Dredd story by the creator of Preacher, the first for ten years. This is the one fans have been waiting for.'

DavidXBrunt

Interestingly when I wandered along to look to see if they had released a 'Zenith' collection in March the May release 'Skizz' was out instead.

Wood

"I have to admit thought,what the HELL is going on with Zenith lads? It's been delayed since, what, november? "

Is this to do with the Peter Carroll thing?

The one Zenith book I have is an old copy of Titan book 3 (read 2nd half of Phase 2) and in the intro it mentions that they were threatened with legal action because right at the end of phase 2, Morrison nicked a whole spell or something from one of Carroll's Chaos magic workbooks. Nice one, Grant.

paulvonscott

I thought all that had been sorted out with the magic.  If not, just stick another stupid mumbo jumbo spell in there.  I'll make one up.  

Magic is a refuge for those who need something to tell them the world isn't such a messy complicated place and they have some control over it, oh and there is some sort of point to it all.  Why can't they just watch Eastenders like all the other muppets?

Of course that wasn't the only thing borrowed.  Zenith was also the first Cthulhu Mythos strip in 2000AD, not these modern necronaut upstarts.

Wood

My, Paul. You're in an eldritch mood this morning.

And possibly squamous and rugose as well, I souldn't wonder...

paulvonscott

I am indeed...

I have no problem with wand waving wizards as the rule (I know a few pagan practitioners myself) but it just boils my goat when some would be harry potter gets all worked up over one of his spells being used in fiction and prevents me reading my comics, which is my right, before the eyes of God!  Gasp... Gasp... Where are my firelighters?!

Firstly, can you copyright esoteric magic, secondly, wouldn't it be better to actually use your powers than the law courts to settle disputes, thirdly, if it wasn't all tosh wouldn't all the readers of zenith be toads or something now?

It annoys me that certain black magicians have ripped off the entirely fictional worlds (climb into my mirror and I'll show you the real world)of H.P.Lovecraft in order to shift some paperback books.  But I'm not going to pay some lawyers, veritable servants of the devil, to fulfil my dark whims am I?

Anyway... my physician, Dr Herbert West, has prescribed my weekly copy of 2000AD and 1 can of Dandelion and Burdock to ease my pain which he says is due to a small infestation of ye liveliest of horrors.  After which I shall be reading a Future Shock (wot has been sent to me, oh yeh, oh yeh) under strict medicial supervision.

Oh and yes, that is me on the other site.

But this isn't.

Cheers

Paul

JamieB

Its nothing to do with the Peter Carroll thing. Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to discuss it any further than that; but, as soon as the problems holding the book back are sorted out, we'll issue Phase 1 - and then get to work on the subsequent Phases, probably on a fairly accelerated schedule (maybe one every 2 months).

Please don't ask me any more about Zenith, cos that's really all I'm allowed to say at this time.

*J*

Wood

OK. Sorry to put you in a difficult position, Jamie.

You're doing a great job, mate.

PVS: you worry me. You really do.

paulvonscott

It's my family I feel sorry for.

No, I knew it was nothing to do with that bloke, I just fancied a ramble.  Extreme rambling!  If I thought it was, I'd never have mentioned it.  I would have said it was more likely to be -comment deleted-, but it isn't worth discussing really.

Well, whenever whatever problem is solved, I would have thought Zenith would become a big seller.   Especially as it's a pretty good read.  I thought book 2 was a bit weak and I've never read book four.

I still think a lot good be done with Zenith.  It's the only strip we've had for a long time (since Skizz) that was set in modern britain.  We need more strips like this I reckon.

DavidXBrunt

Yeah, more Here and Now would be good in the mag. 'Freaks' started out in the present day as well. But more would be nice.

sigu

I'm all for modern Britain strips. I think a few terror tales and future shocks have been set in the present (although the future shocks must have been set in next week, I suppose)

SiG

davidbishop

I bought Skizz last weekend. A useful research tool as I'm interviewing Jim Baikie this weekend for the Thrill-Power Overload articles...

I'll be buying Missionary Man, as it'll finally publish Frank Quitely's gorgeous, delicate watercolour painted artwork on good paper! The strips have been reprinted before, but just on bog roll - most distressing.

It's a shame this isn't quite enough Frank Quitely  Shimura/Inaba material to fill a book - 24 pages of Shimura (plus a cover), an Inaba one-off (9 pages) and two Inaba covers. 35 pages - just doesn't quite stretch far enough, alas...

davidbishop

JamieB