Main Menu

The Black Dog Thread

Started by Grugz, 02 January, 2016, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

Thanks, Proudhuff.

Just as a quick update. I asked the two blokes who spoke with the new guy yesterday, to relay their impressions - based on the conversation which they had with him - of what was going on to the old landlord, who, as I mentioned earlier, had assured us that all would be well, that as part of the agreement between him and the  new guy, we would be kept in situ and nothing would change with regard to our current situation. But if what they were told by the new bloke is anything to go by - and which would seem to be in direct contradiction to what the former landlord said - then the future looks far from rosy.

One of them hemmed and hawed and thought that it would make no difference at this stage. (And he might well be correct, but fer Christ's sake at least make the effort, if only for the sake of clarity!) He suggested that I mention it myself to the old landlord, but as I replied, there's no point in me trying to relate a conversation which I heard second-hand. I wasn't bloody well there at the time and he is obviously in a better position to explain what went on, the words used and the nuances that he took from the conversation.

The other bloke wanted to wait until we receive an official letter from the new guy, which apparently is due sometime next week, and will clarify what his future intentions are, and our position will be. I just straight out told them both, that it was up to them so, as to what they wanted to do and that I would be having absolutely no further involvement in the matter. I texted the former landlord and suggested that he speak directly to them (and for the same reason as I suggested they speak directly to him).

I am beyond the point of frustration now, as it seems impossible to get any sort of clarity from ANYONE as to what-exactly-the-hell-is-going-on!

I led the charge when it came to trying to tackle the anti-social behaviour which previously took place here. I have done what I can with regard to this current problem. As far as I'm concerned now, the only person I'm going to be thinking of as regards this house and all pertaining to it, is MYSELF alone.

Cheers again and all the best to yourself, Proudhuff and the rest of you kind, decent folk here.

sheridan

Quote from: paddykafka on 14 October, 2022, 11:48:43 AM
I will certainly look into getting legal advice from the likes of Threshold etc. But things being what they are, the future is looking, to say the least of it, unpleasant and uncertain. Forgive me if I've rambled on a bit. I haven't slept at all since yesterday, and two bouts of internal bleeding - which I suffered as a direct physiological reaction, within thirty minutes of getting the bad news - have left me a bit all-at-sea.

Thanks again to you all for your kindness and support. It is much appreciated.

There is absolutely nothing to forgive - this is entirely the purpose of this thread.  Thanks for sharing.

Rara Avis

Quote from: paddykafka on 14 October, 2022, 04:21:54 PM
As far as I'm concerned now, the only person I'm going to be thinking of as regards this house and all pertaining to it, is MYSELF alone.

This is absolutely the best course of action. Self care isn't selfish and if the other tenants haven't been helpful in the past don't put yourself out for them.

If you're on good terms with your previous landlord then maybe ask if there's a written agreement about tenants remaining in situ post sale or if anything regarding your tenancies were discussed / agreed. It might be worth a shot.

Please keep us posted and be assured that listening to your troubles are no burden.

paddykafka

Cheers once again Rara (and also to yourself, Sheridan).

According to my now former landlord (FL) - when he broke the news to me on Wednesday - safeguards with regard to us tenants, would indeed be included, as part of the sale agreement between himself and his successor. At my request, he said that he would provide me next week, with a copy of the sale contract / agreement to allay my concerns.

But as I said earlier, what I am hearing from the two tenants who spoke to the new guy, would appear to contradict what the old landlord told me. And the fact that the new landlord seemed reluctant to confirm what the FL told me - and instead talked of Fire Safety legislation as justification to carry out renovations, how he was only required to give us six months notice, how he could get new tenants in and at higher rents etc - when they brought the issue up with him, has left me in some doubt as to our collective future.

I mean, he could simply have said to us: "Ah yeah. You will be fine. No need to worry. You'll all be kept here as before. Nothing is going to change regarding your situation. The rent will stay as it was."

That he made no effort at all to assuage our concerns has given me pause for thought. It may well be that he agreed to the FL's request with regard to our welfare, but thinks that he has found a loophole through Fire Safety legislation to get around the provisions in said contract. (Effectively pulling the wool over the FL's eyes.)

Or, worst case scenario, the FL was just telling us tenants what we would like to hear. I would like to think - given the up-to-now excellent relationship and experience I had with him over the last thirteen years- that this is not the case, and that he genuinely has done all that he can with regard to our welfare.

I'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, over the next week or so, we will get to see exactly what the future holds for us all. Thanks again and, for sure, I'll keep ye all up to date when I get further news and confirmation of our situation.

Cheers and all the best - Paddy

Rara Avis

It certainly sounds like he is using the fire safety regulations to boot you out and get new tenants in at jacked up prices. The contract between him and your former landlord could be crucial to you - I really hope he provides it. Considering the building has been rented for the past 13 years I assume it's already up to code and might only need moderate work to modernise it.

Here are the regulations for rented properties in Ireland : https://ipoa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/Housing-Standards-2019.pdf

From the landlords association : https://ipoa.ie/fire-safety-in-rentals/

paddykafka

Thanks for that info, Rara. Much appreciated.

The link below, gives some idea, as to the insurmountable difficulty facing renters like myself, who are dependent upon state support - to whatever degree - when it comes to affording the insane rents, now being charged by landlords in this country.

https://www.thejournal.ie/hap-properties-report-5894975-Oct2022/

Hawkmumbler

Been thinking I might go back to therapy, for a little while.

Its not about any one thing, not really. I'm not feeling particularly down right now and indeed have felt at my most stable for quite some years.

Its more a...general sense that something is wrong. And I'm uncertain how I could begin to put it into words. Its as if something clicked in my head recently on a subconscious level, a moment where you see yourself through the looking glass, or have an out of body experience in a moment of deep contemplation.
And you realize something is broken.
But you've been carrying this broken piece around for so long you don't even know what it is, or how it ended up that way, or what it was like before it was broken.
It's not fatigue or depression or anything of that sort, but a generally underlying sense of disquiet.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

my father died today, too young, out of nowhere.
he was a brilliant and beautiful man. he died too young. he was my rock. he was my best friend. he was my carer (i am moderately disabled). he was made of love.
everything, everything, everything, sucks.

JohnW

Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Trooper McFad

Sorry to hear that sad sad news my sincerest condolences. Words are not enough at this moment please take care and I hope you have others around you at this time. 🙁
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

thank you both.
nothing really matters, not in the end, except love.
we are all so very fragile.
hold those you love so very close. today. not tomorrow. let them know.

JohnW

Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Rara Avis

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 23 October, 2022, 05:18:21 PM
Been thinking I might go back to therapy, for a little while.

Its not about any one thing, not really. I'm not feeling particularly down right now and indeed have felt at my most stable for quite some years.

You absolutely should. I read a quote from someone recently about how things don't change from day to day but today can be very different from where you were a year or two ago. Therapy is just for crisis it's also a safe space to think about things and say them out loud.

My condolences to Wolfie Smith. Having lost my own father I can empathise but I'm utterly at a loss at what to say except I'm sorry that this has happened to you.

The Legendary Shark

My heartfelt sympathies, Wolfie. Dads are great. Losing them sucks bad. I laughed a lot with My Dad, that's what I remember most.

You're a smart guy, Hawkie - I'm sure you'll figure out a way forward.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Oh fuck. I'm so sorry, Wolfie.  I can't think of anything to say that won't sound trite and clichéd but I'm really really sorry and I hope you'll be OK.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"