Main Menu

Re: Tharg's 2020 in Review - Best 2000 AD strips (non-Dredd) - RESULTS!

Started by norton canes, 08 January, 2021, 11:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

The results are in, and The Out has shaken it all about...

1   2   3   
The Out136253
Fiends of the Eastern Front44222
Brink23214
Feral and Foe13312
Deadworld (Visions of Deadworld)2119
Full Tilt Boogie2119
Proteus Vex1149
The Diaboliks237
Hook-Jaw226
Stickleback124
Hershey113
Sinister Dexter11
Survival Geeks11

2020 Best 2000 AD strip (non-Dredd): The Out

Yes, Brink's run of victories finally comes to a halt, but the top end of the table is dominated by Dan Abnett stories, with only Fiends of the Eastern Front managing to prevent him sweeping the podium. Fittingly, in a year that saw most of us confined to our homes for long periods, his tale of galactic exploration and discovery, tempered with observations on the very nature of our existence, resonated with us most. Perhaps its main strength was its sheer unpredictability and for that reason, the second chapter is eagerly awaited and will undoubtedly be a strong contender in next year's poll.

Fiends clinches the runners-up spot with a stunning chapter that also went in some unexpected directions, delivering thrills every step of the way. And remarkably, even though 2020 only saw a handful of instalments at the end of a chapter, Brink still managed to pip several other strips to third place.

13 strips were given points but I'm sure that of the 28 up for votes, all of them would have received something if the voting had been for a top 5. It's been the hardest of years, but once again Tharg has sent the thrill-o-meter off the scale, truly serving up a delicious smorgasbord of stories for all tastes.

Thanks for voting, everyone. Here's to 2021 - may it bring us old favourites and thills as yet undreamt.

Link Prime

Missed out on the vote, but happy to see my top 3 were precisely replicated.

Shocked that Full Tilt Boogie made it so high - I could barely follow (or, admittedly, care) what was happening panel to panel, never-mind week to week.
Stinker of the year if not for Hershey that will not be named.

broodblik

I am not surprised by The Out. You just needed to follow the comments and praise on the forum to see why this was rated numero uno. What is quite amazing is that for a first series how well it did. Dan Abnett is riding the wave with 3 thrills out of the top 4. Still a good top 3
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Fantastic stuff Norton Canes - thanks for running this.

Yep we are a Dabnett love palace at the moment - but he deserves ever bit of praise he gets. The big question for me is if we get a year with a full run of Brink AND The Out which thrill would win out? That Brink only had like 5 episodes (or so) and did that well is a massive testament to it.

The other thing which I find so pleasing is the number of new thrills that have done so well. Its one of the prime signs of a very healthy Prog for me.

broodblik

We had 6 new thrills and 2 of them are in the top 4. The prog for me is in a very good spot currently.

Thx norton for running this
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Petition to change the comic's name to "2000 D.A.".

Fascinating, cheers Norton! 6 out of the Top Ten are new strips last year, allowing FTB and Hook-Jaw (both new to the regular prog) and Diaboliks (a spinoff but tonally its own thing) some leeway.

I'm not sure how much of a democratic mandate this forum holds these days, if ever, but that certainly seems like a healthy situation to me.

I quite deliberately didn't vote for Brink because I'd already voted for the majority of the story last year, but it'd probably have just pipped The Out for me otherwise.

Someone better see to it that the Abnett cloning programme is ramped up, but it's still positive to see Edginton, Carroll, Worley, deCampi, Williams, Rennie, Beeby and Kek-W all represented in the voting. That's a good spread of talent.

IndigoPrime

Really glad to see The Out at the top of that list, for a number of reasons. It gets another female lead into the Prog; it's different; although there's action, it's not based on machismo. Fiends was a worthy runner-up, too, with an ending that in hindsight was so obvious but that basically escaped everyone who was reading it. Lovely art as well.

Andrew_J

I agree heartily with the above; its fantastic to see so many new strips in the top ten. Its a huge credit the creators and editorial for continually pushing the envelope, when it would be so easy to return to proven storylines.
I'm delighted to see The Out come out on top this year. It was a genuine treat each week; the complete package of story, ideas, visuals, and dialogue.