Main Menu

This is the News!

Started by Funt Solo, 28 March, 2022, 05:16:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

Rees-Mogg seems to have been born to provide a post-war warning about how easy it would be to descend into Nazi-ism. What a fucking horror. He'd have people off to the camps in the blink of an eye, that one.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

hang on, it was judge sssssnooty who told us that the fish in britain's newly sovereign waters are happier now.

Jim_Campbell

And Truss is gone. New leader within a week.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Within a week?  Can't see them organising it that quickly, after the shambles last time!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 20 October, 2022, 01:38:57 PM
Within a week?  Can't see them organising it that quickly, after the shambles last time!

The plan that's been circulating is that when the leadership contest gets down to the last two, whoever has the fewer votes stands aside in favour of the other, who just gets appointed leader by default.

They're not going to allow that interminable campaigning phase like last time, and they have no intention of putting it to the members.

In the words of one unnamed senior Tory a few days ago: "The membership fucked it up. They don't get another go."

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2022, 01:35:56 PM
And Truss is gone. New leader within a week.

Feck me, so she is.   Is that five Tory PMs in just over six years?  On the other hand, imagine the chaos that would might of have of happened if Ed Miliband had of been elected.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 October, 2022, 02:08:33 PM
Is that five Tory PMs in just over six years?

And three inside four months when the next one takes office. Still, at least we have a first past the post electoral system that guarantees stable, long-lasting governments, eh?

Even the Italians are laughing at us, now.

wedgeski

Is all this a harbinger of change, or will I be back in this thread in two years trying to articulate my hopelessness at another Tory election victory?

Jim_Campbell

Oh, Jesus fucking Christ. The Times is reporting that Boris fucking Johnson is "taking soundings" in the Conservative party, with a view to standing in the forthcoming leadership contest.

BORIS FUCKING JOHNSON. AGAIN.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2022, 02:25:08 PMAnd three inside four months when the next one takes office. Still, at least we have a first past the post electoral system that guarantees stable, long-lasting governments, eh?
Mm. I must say that every shred of patience I had with people who are pro-FPTP/anti-PR has now been atomised. And they're still at it, pointing at Sweden, as though what we have is still somehow better.

(For those not in the know, Sweden now has a centre-right government with the far-right offering confidence. PR enabled the far-right to get quite a lot of seats, which we're told can't happen here, evidenced by the lack of eg BNP and UKIP/Brexit Party MPs. But instead, our system forces the two biggest parties to primarily care about swing voters, which once meant tempting Middle England but now demands they concentrate on nativists, which increasingly have crossover with... BNP and UKIP thinking. So we now effectively have a far-right government, in terms of economics and anti-liberal policy, even if the party itself still claims to be centre-right. And it was elected in 43% of the vote, which gained it 56% of the seats. ARGH.)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: wedgeski on 20 October, 2022, 02:34:34 PM
Is all this a harbinger of change, or will I be back in this thread in two years trying to articulate my hopelessness at another Tory election victory?
It's hard to see how the party can climb out of the hole it's in. But I suspect people will be disappointed if they think in two years the Tories will be facing electoral oblivion and not even be the official opposition. My _guess_ is that, whoever the new leader is, the polls will start to shift to at least some degree. That said, the Tories had best hope this is one of the mildest winters on record. If not, things could very quickly get messy.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2022, 02:52:19 PM
Oh, Jesus fucking Christ. The Times is reporting that Boris fucking Johnson is "taking soundings" in the Conservative party, with a view to standing in the forthcoming leadership contest.

I think this was always his plan, but I reckon he thought he'd have two years before Truss fucked it up.
The thought of it is literally stomach-churning.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Proudhuff

Scotland has never voted for the Tories since the 50s, but we still get them, mind you Paisley's secret weapon seems to have worked...
DDT did a job on me

Funt Solo

Truss must be quite pleased to be getting into the Guinness Book of World Records, though. Every cloud...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 October, 2022, 02:52:19 PM

Oh ffs. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"