Main Menu

Prog 2292 - United Front

Started by broodblik, 27 July, 2022, 04:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Let's start with the cover, which is up with the Robinson/Teague combo's very finest and gives us a wonderful slant on the logo (and a literal slant on the smaller logo in the corner, to match). In fact I was disappointed to see there were no zeros on the ceiling in Patrick Goddard's rendition of the same scene : )

Story-wise 'Special Relationship' remains intriguing, I'm happy to take the thrills page-by-page and not let the convoluted timeline get in the way. Have Brit-Cit cits from the higher echelons always had a penchant for Victorian style dress?

"Being frank", eh? I wonder...

Nice that Skip Tracer, while lacking in the dialogue stakes, at least this week gave us a lovely full page Marshall/Teague panel to appreciate. It's kind of simultaneously unfortunate but welcome that Dexter is now supplying the kind of thrills we've been expecting from Brink - lashings of tension punctuated by moments of extreme violence. Jaegir once again rules the roost, though. Must go back and re-read The Path of Kali to get up to speed. Is there a second collected edition on the way?

Timothy

Has anybody got this working on the app yet?

broodblik

Quote from: Timothy on 28 July, 2022, 03:43:11 PM

Yes I did but you might like the way to fix it. So you have to uninstall the app with everything that you downloaded will be lost and then reinstall the app again.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

GoGilesGo

Quote from: norton canes on 28 July, 2022, 11:48:43 AM
Have Brit-Cit cits from the higher echelons always had a penchant for Victorian style dress?

This is how Neil Googe depicted a couple of members of the BritCit Parliament (Council of Five?) when Dredd visited during Doomsday

So maybe Victorian dress is perennially in style.

broodblik

Quote from: broodblik on 28 July, 2022, 07:29:17 PM
Quote from: Timothy on 28 July, 2022, 03:43:11 PM

Yes I did but you might like the way to fix it. So you have to uninstall the app with everything that you downloaded will be lost and then reinstall the app again.

You can also try to clear the cache of the app.

Here  is an article on how to do it: https://www.lifewire.com/clear-cache-on-ipad-5082550
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Catching up after a week away with an interesting Prog with some highs and some lows.

Rob Williams can really bug me on Dredd at times. This is a prime example. 'Look its Domino... look what I did with the toys'... the trouble is I don't really remember so the 'reveal' has minimal impact. The time jumps also feel like an affectation to far. I just hope to god he doesn't have Dredd beaten to within an inch to show how indominitable he is... still for all my whining its pretty good! Just its irritations stand out so strongly!

Skip Tracer as has been said has a mighty sacrifice which also leads to a mighty shoulder shrug. Its felt cliche. Such a shame as Paul Marshal's art was fantastic and would have elevated a moment of more impact, less drown in horrible dialogue.

Dexter takes some of the problems with those two strips and shows how it should be done. Great dialogue lifts what otherwise might be seen as movie cliche above the mire. The time jumps to reveal events are handled naturally and fluidly so you don't notice, aside from gaining understanding at a great pace. Its just fantastic stuff.

As is Brink I'm not sure why folks are running out of patience. Each episode takes us deftly a step closer to the 'truth' or at least whatever 'truth' we'll get from this particular story. The creepy exchange felt natural and pushed things forward. For me this remains a level above.

Jaegir is a nice brutal way to wrap things up with some solid, scary action. Great stuff.

So yeah after a sluggish start things in the second half of the Prog are fantastic.

Blue Cactus

Pretty solid prog with an outstanding cover. Goddard and Winter really sold me on that meal in Dredd - I could practically taste that steak and wine! This one will need a reread for me, I think Rob Williams is channeling his love for Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy where it's hard to parse exactly what's happening on the first read. I thought this was a good intriguing episode though. Like others I have no memory of Domino either and as Colin says, I REALLY hope we don't get 'Dredd being tortured to the point of collapse' again which Williams has used once or twice.

Like Domino, I don't really remember the guy who dies in Skip Tracer either. Marshall and Teague tell the story so clearly here that as others said it probably works fine without the dialogue.

Dexter is fine, I think I'm less engaged with this story than some other readers although I think I'm enjoying the overall AI ark more than some other readers so go figure!

Brink... this is I think the first episode of this series where my attention has faltered a little. They don't have many episodes left and I've kind of been waiting for something really shocking or significant to happen. I know the Mercury event is just that but as readers we already know about that. I've enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere throughout, I just hope there's a satisfying payoff - I'm sure Abnett and Culbard won't disappoint.

Jaegir is great, some very dense storytelling and it looks exceptional as always. Great colouring from Len O'Grady. Can someone remind me who the GI and Javert are please?

broodblik

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 31 July, 2022, 11:02:49 AM
.....Can someone remind me who the GI and Javert are please?

From last years The Path of Kali prog 2247-2249

Blue Cactus

Pretty solid prog with an outstanding cover. Goddard and Winter really sold me on that meal in Dredd - I could practically taste that steak and wine! This one will need a reread for me, I think Rob Williams is channeling his love for Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy where it's hard to parse exactly what's happening on the first read. I thought this was a good intriguing episode though. Like others I have no memory of Domino either and as Colin says, I REALLY hope we don't get 'Dredd being tortured to the point of collapse' again which Williams has used once or twice.

Like Domino, I don't really remember the guy who dies in Skip Tracer either. Marshall and Teague tell the story so clearly here that as others said it probably works fine without the dialogue.

Dexter is fine, I think I'm less engaged with this story than some other readers although I think I'm enjoying the overall AI ark more than some other readers so go figure!

Brink... this is I think the first episode of this series where my attention has faltered a little. They don't have many episodes left and I've kind of been waiting for something really shocking or significant to happen. I know the Mercury event is just that but as readers we already know about that. I've enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere throughout, I just hope there's a satisfying payoff - I'm sure Abnett and Culbard won't disappoint.

Jaegir is great, some very dense storytelling and it looks exceptional as always. Great colouring from Len O'Grady. Can someone remind me who the GI and Javert are please?

Damn it - that bit in bold was meant to be spoilered - kind of the opposite of bold!

Blue Cactus

Quote from: broodblik on 31 July, 2022, 01:42:32 PM
.....Can someone remind me who the GI and Javert are please?

From last years The Path of Kali prog 2247-2249

Thanks Broodblik, need to dig out the progs. Another solution would be some more regular appearances from this excellent thrill!