Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Skizz vs. ABC Warriors Rd 5 Heat 12

Started by Colin YNWA, 09 August, 2022, 07:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Round 5 was always going to be a quickie and in two weeks we are done. I'm thinking maybe next round we'll go to one a day to give us more time to luxuriate (or for me to prep whatever's next if I'm honest, not had to think about that for some time!) Anyway not much else to say except a week of more bastard hard choices!

The highs are high, for some the lows are low. Which is better across the piece? Will A Moore be down to just one thrill after this tie?

Form book (note none of the remaining thrill appeared in Round 1 - all getting byes; so the form book starts at Round 2)

Skizz: Intestinauts; Fall of Deadworld; Storm Warning
ABC Warriors: Dead Men Walking; Robusters; Leviathan

Skizz - more info

VS

ABC Warriors - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Friday 12th August and the winner gets a place in Round 6 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

NapalmKev

Skizz my arse...*

A.B.C Warriors!

Cheers

*This is not an invitation!
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Magnetica

ABC Warriors for me. At it's best it was as good as anything published in the Prog. When not, at least it has some nice pictures.

Only the first series of Skizz really holds up for me, and even then it's not as good as other stuff Alan Moore did for Tharg.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

abelardsnazz

Aaron A Aardvark

I liked Skizz Book One but the Warriors have had some great characters over the years.

ABC Warriors

Barrington Boots

You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

Trooper McFad

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

sintec

Skizz is great but ABC Warriors is the clear winner here

AlexF

Hang on a sec, I don't know that this is quite so straightforward.
Yes, the ABC Warriors are, for the most part, 5 or 6 all time great characters and character designs. And, for a while, the promise of a new series was mega-exciting, even if they didn't always live up to that promise. Indeed, I don't know that any one ABC cycle has been totally 100% thrilling, except maybe the bits where they're in Nemesis the Warlock, which don't count here.
The Mek-nificent Seven has a couple of duff sequences (looking at you, "LJ Silver"), the Black Hole has some dodgy plotting and pacing, and the rest are, at best, divisive (personally I love Khronikles of Khaos, much of Shadow Warriors, and the odd bit of Volgan Wars - but plenty of folks don't).

Skizz by contrast had one totally perfect and unimpeachably great series, complete with 4 or 5 well-rounded, superbly designed and utterly memorable main characters. Then a really rather neat if less clever sequel, and then a very poor final series - but only as poor as the most indulgent parts of latter-day ABC Warriors (Tubal Cain can eff right off).

So yeah, all the love in the world for aspects of ABCs, but I think to honour that one burst of perfection, I'm voting Skizz.

(Mind, if Colin ever dares turn his hand to a character tourney, there are about 10 characters from this team up who'd all qualify as qaurter-finals contenders at the very least)

IndigoPrime

ABC Warriors is so often style over substance. It's a story on repeat – copy and paste ad infinitum. It doesn't care about its own reality's logic, sometimes even in the same strip. I suppose Mills would counter that none of that matters, so long as the kids like it. But I'm voting for me, not anyone else, and I didn't even really care for the early ABC Warriors stuff that much on a re-read.

Skizz isn't exactly a top-tier thrill for me either, even in its original incarnation, although it is very, very good. The dreadful Skizz III is best ignored, although the second series has its moments.

Again, for me, it's down to what I'd like to re-read. If I ever split my UC, I doubt I'd keep any of the ABC Warriors books, except maybe the parts that retain the Black Hole arc. But I know I'll re-read Skizz at some point.

Southstreeter

ABC - definitely style over substance, but here the style justifies its victory over a nice little one off (I know there were 2 sequels, but I can't remember anything about them).