Main Menu

FFT - FINNNALLLLL1!!! - Strontium Dog vs Nikolai Dante

Started by Colin YNWA, 13 September, 2022, 06:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

broodblik

Thanks Colin, great tourney. Strontium Dog is worthy winner but my favourite AD strip did give it a mighty fright
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

I'll let folks into a secret.

If it had been a tie - and at one point I thought it was. I was actually going to vote for Strontium Dog as the tie breaker. Not cos I prefer it, far from it. Rather I'd vote on behalf of Bolt01 who alas isn't here to vote and seemed like a nice way to think back to that lovely man.

Almost sad it didn't happen now! Still sad we don't have him around.

abelardsnazz

Well what a marvellous thing this has been. Thank you Colin for keeping us entertained all these months.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 September, 2022, 10:10:20 AM
I'll let folks into a secret.

If it had been a tie - and at one point I thought it was. I was actually going to vote for Strontium Dog as the tie breaker. Not cos I prefer it, far from it. Rather I'd vote on behalf of Bolt01 who alas isn't here to vote and seemed like a nice way to think back to that lovely man.

Almost sad it didn't happen now! Still sad we don't have him around.

That's a lovely sentiment, Colin -- Dave would have been suitably embarrassed!

You've done an excellent job running this Tourney and you certainly deserve a reward for all your hard work! Everyone should club together and donate a prize! I've got half a pop-tart and some barely-wonky carpet off-cuts with your name on them -- just send me your address and they'll be on the way to you before the month is out!

IndigoPrime

I had a running count myself for this one, and the end was quite something. By my totting up today, there was... one vote in it (the final tally being 20:19). That wasn't what I expected coming into this, but it if nothing else shows the strength of Nikolai Dante support.

Magnetica

So after nearly a year we ended up with the result everyone* predicted at the start. Except, not really. I didn't expect Dante to make the final. The later stages yes, but not the final. Nor did I expect it to be so close. Really it could have gone either way- just one person voting the other way would have swung it.

A big thanks to Colin for running it; it seems these tourneys are one of the few active places on the Forum these days, where there is some good discussion (threads about Uncle Pat and creators' rights notwithstanding), so hopefully there will be something after the up coming mini alternative tournament.

*not everyone obviously, but you know what I mean.

The Legendary Shark

Great stuff. Thanks, Colin - after all that work you deserve an extra-long oil break.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dash Decent

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 17 September, 2022, 10:30:35 AM
Everyone should club together and donate a prize!

I've got a pair of old overalls he can have.  That'll make him the overall prize winner.

Thanks Colin and everyone.  It has been fun.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Dash Decent on 17 September, 2022, 02:40:33 PM
I've got a pair of old overalls he can have.  That'll make him the overall prize winner.

Excellent pun -- you are my hero!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 17 September, 2022, 02:12:01 PM
... so hopefully there will be something after the up coming mini alternative tournament.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 September, 2022, 02:38:11 PM

Great stuff. Thanks, Colin - after all that work you deserve an extra-long oil break.

Given my track record to date which of these do you reckon will come to pass? I'ev a list for these things don't you know!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 September, 2022, 10:51:54 AM
I had a running count myself for this one, and the end was quite something. By my totting up today, there was... one vote in it (the final tally being 20:19). That wasn't what I expected coming into this, but it if nothing else shows the strength of Nikolai Dante support.

I got the 'official' score as 20 : 18 I ended up doing a name count to be absolutely sure and there was a double vote (that I assume was unintential this thread did get loonnngggg) which threw me for a while.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 17 September, 2022, 02:49:05 PM
Excellent pun -- you are my hero!

Oh wow. Mike Carroll!  Mike - Mr Carroll - I've got all your stories!  I've got all your books!  And when you go out tomorrow, I'm going to get your washing machine and stereo!

Thank you.  Praise indeed from the man who has a character called Elemeno Pea.  Of all your various 2000AD work, the Rico trilogy/omnibus has been my favourite so far.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

cheers colin. occasionally misguided, always brilliant, only you could host these tourneys with the required pizzazz. and patience.

now that dante is unofficially the second greatest 2000ad (non dredd) strip of all time, and now that i've dug out the books to be amazed all over again, i am very greedy for some more dante readthrough pods. the last time we heard from our heroes they were heading off in the direction of some whisky distilleries. which is quite the cliffhanger ...

Blue Cactus

Thanks for running this Colin, what an effort. I'm going to miss finding out what the latest match is every morning!