Main Menu

Prog 2300: On the Day of Judgement...

Started by Leigh S, 20 September, 2022, 05:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

broodblik

These what if stories have a lot more leniency regarding to canon and do not need to follow the previously laid-out path. So the authors/artists can also have some fun.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Art

QuoteWhat I want to know is why does Dredd seem to have glowy zombie eyes, when his eyes are meant to be bionic and therefore should look how they normally* look?

Zom-borg eyes. It's science.

Richard

I enjoyed it, especially the comedy stories in the prog. The Meg was very bleak! Still enjoyed that too.

The Corinthian

This isn't the first time Johnny's had to deal with Zombie Wulf (who sadly is not coloured as green as der cucumber). You'd think he'd be getting deja vu.

Funt Solo

Quote from: judgeurko on 21 September, 2022, 04:31:09 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 September, 2022, 11:21:54 AM
Quote from: judgeurko on 21 September, 2022, 11:12:43 AM
Seems strange to do a zombie thing in 2022. maybe about 15 years ago this would have been new & novel? Seems old fashioned & tired.

Try 30 years ago - because I think a lot of people are missing the point. It's a bit of silliness to mark Judgement Day's anniversary, that's all. And Judgement Day was all about zombies, so it would be hard to do that without 'em!
Why do we need a 30th anniversary of one of the worst epics ever?

From what I remember of the meeting that we were all at, the reasoning was something like "what would really fuck off that urko guy that's really looking forward to the Dredd television series we're secretly making?" And the answer, by a unanimous vote, was "a 30th anniversary of everyone's favorite least favorite pseudo-epic". Of course.

And that's why all of the creators got together and made a humungous effort to create a one-off zombie crossover event between the weekly and the Megazine. Just to fuck you off. And look - it worked! I imagine you are very pleased and thankful, now that you realize it was all done for your benefit.

Shine on!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 September, 2022, 12:54:37 PM

The last panel of Outlaw is Alpha and the survivors launching the coffins of their fallen friends out into space.

Thanks Jim.

You'd think I would have remembered that since I re-read Outlaw only six months ago.

oshii

That was hugely enjoyable.

And a proper 2000AD finish where the entire world being destroyed and everyone dying is officially a happy ending.

Richard

broodblik

Now what is the more interesting thing about this event, who is the real villain? It can not be Sabbat since he was removed from the equation. Can it be [spoiler]Dredd[/spoiler]? and actually we also have to say no since he was also a victim of circumstances. As we all know the Zombie-thing is not very original but what makes this even better for me is that  we do not have a "real"  villain like in the classic sense.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

norton canes

Let me expound on my rather coarse endorsement (encoarsement?)

The Niemand droid opens up in imperious style with a spectacular opening salvo perfectly setting the apocalyptic tone, with Henry Flint's artwork as breath-taking as ever. That awesome final frame was reminiscent of the droids' first work together for Tharg, prog 2061's Starlord shocker 'Watch the Stars!'. In fact the only consistent let-down throughout the prog was the failure of some art droids to similarly bring out the grisly side of their zombie protagonists.

Peerless, top-of-their-game work from all droids concerned on the Rogue Trooper, Survival Geeks, Sin/Dex and Ampney Crucis segments. Particular congratulations have to go to Ian Edginton for this, and the rest of his flawless period dialogue:

"We seem to be on something of a sticky wicket!"
"The stickiest, sir!"

Yes, it might have been better had that makeshift spear been seen emerging in a spume of blood from Rogue's chest in the climactic scene.

It's probably fair to say that Meant Team and Robo-Hunter offered fewer opportunities for gruesome fun but still, sterling efforts from the droids concerned.

A slightly sombre and restrained (by the rest of the prog's standards) Strontium Dog interlude was nevertheless impressive (Staz Johnson comfortably proving himself Henry Flint's equal in his depiction of Johnny Alpha), before the Niemand droid's return for an absolute tour de force of a conclusion. "Zombie maniac with stone axe destroying Pat-Wagons", indeed.

Not going to claim that crossover zombie events are the most original thing ever but the 30th anniversary of Judgement Day deserves recognition and I can't think of a better way it could have been provided.

Richard

The real villain is that dipshit Sov judge who ruined everything for everyone.

IndigoPrime

Although Dredd did helpfully silence the other dissenting voice, rather than saying: "Interesting point, only person in the room with a strong grasp of inter-dimensional mechanics. Do please tell us more about why the Sov plan is a bucket of stomm."

Richard