Main Menu

John Wagner's "Darkies Mob"

Started by Ol^ Marbles, 04 March, 2002, 01:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ol^ Marbles

Just to let you know I'veput up a fan site for John Wagner's old 'Battle' strip "Darkies Mob". It was the acknowledged inspiration for Tooth's 'Bad Company' btw

Link: http://www.frothersunite.com/marbles/fanboy/DarkiesMob_Intro.html" target="_blank">Darkie's Mob FanSite

2000AD Online

Only ever read that shadow of its former self, 'Battle Action Farce', so 'Darkie's Mob' is new to me.

Mind you, I was expecting something completely different when I checked out the link.

red_lichtie

Brings back memories from childhood. Was part of it ever repeated in the Victor or am I just confused?

RL

Ol^ Marbles

No it was printed twice in 'Battle' tho' - due to the success of the first run I guess. The only strip they did repeat as far as I know. Anyway we want a Graphic Novel, when do we want it, soon as you can pretty please ??
Honestly, there must be a market for this pre-2000AD stuff from older readers - in 'Battle' there are some great Wagner, Pat (Charleys War)Mills strips ,Carlos (Major Easy)Ezquerra and  Cam (Fighting Mann) Kennedy art. Its a treasure trove for early 2000AD afficianados - most of the early greats cut there teeth on it (and Action)...

red_lichtie

Hmmm. Pretty sure I read it in either the Victor or maybe the Warlord. It was a story in words with no pictures as opposed to a comic strip. I can't check either as I can't remember where the annual with the story is. Buried in a box somewhere.

Charley's War. Was that the one based in WWI with the useless Captain who hid in his dugout all the time?

Ol^ Marbles

No Darkies Mob was in 'Battle' - check the URL for the fan site for all the gory details. I'd be amaxed if there was anything in 'Victor' too but let me know if u find anything !!
Yeh Charleys War was set in WW1. Absolutely brilliant strip by Pat Mills. Great art too. Reprinted ages ago in 2 GN's but out of print for a long time now.
Come on Rebellion, get these old strips back in print !!
In the meantime, I guess I'd better start a 'Charlies War' fan page...

Link: http://www.frothersunite.com/marbles/fanboy/DarkiesMob_Intro.html" target="_blank">http://www.frothersunite.com/marbles/fanboy/DarkiesMob_Intro.html

paulvonscott

Alas, rebellion don't own any of the other comics, it appeared they just bought, Dredd and 2000AD.  I did ask Jamie from titan about reprinting all those old classics from todays masters and it didn't sound that likely.

Oh well, if I win the lottery, I'll try and buy them.  We could bring Action back!  The world needs moire sharks with bloody big hooks sticking out of them.  Oh and spinball would have to come back.

red_lichtie

I'll try and take a lok sometime. Like I said. They're buried in a box somewhere and I can't remember where so don't hold your breath.

RL

Wake

Check the news item on the front page!

Wake

Marbles

Yeh I've been sworn to secrecy on this tremendous news for a few weeks now, so at last I can explode with delight in public !!!

{head promptly explodes}
Remember - dry hair is for squids

davidbishop

This news breaks just three hours after I finished reading Darkie's Mob end to end. What a cracker! Ooh, can't wait to get started on the articles.

Just finished writing TPO #14 too, the penultimate article in that series. I've just handed in my resignation (March 2000) and Rebellion are making their third attempt to buy 2000 AD. Just one TPO to go...

davidbishop

karne

"Charley's War. Was that the one based in WWI with the useless Captain who hid in his dugout all the time?"

No red_lichtie, your thinking of "Cadman Frontline Coward" which ran in "Victor" very entertaining it was too.

karne

"Charley's War. Was that the one based in WWI with the useless Captain who hid in his dugout all the time?"

No red lichtie, your thinking of "Cadman Frontline Coward" which ran in "Victor" very entertaining it was too.

Last of the V8's

Still have my Battle collection from all those years ago but to see Darkies Mob re-published is
great news.
Excited!!!!

paulvonscott

Intesting its being edited to remove the language we were allowed to read as kids but not as adults.

I can't say I'm really bothered, any sort of censorship makes me slightly twitchy though.  personally I'd just leave it.

Or we could just pretend it wasn't the Japanese (I'm assuming it was the Japenese) in it at all, and say it was those round-headed bubble-eyed torturing sadistic space-bamboo wielding krool.