Main Menu

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Started by von Boom, 11 December, 2013, 08:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

Enjoyed it immensely. Cruise and Blunt give great performances and Bill Paxton is a treat. Blunt could easily take over from Sigourney Weaver in an Alien film.

I've read the book and I think this is the film is a credit to the source. May have to duck out to see this one again.

Radbacker

top movie, wish there were more like this one out there, Cruse really gets the Sci-fi made these days. Surprisingly funny in places and well acted throughout, third act wasn't as good as what came first[spoiler]there's some arsom scenes when he's in the time loop both action and character scenes, it just all seems to get a bit sci-fi action at the end[/spoiler].
Thoroughly recommend to fans of good sci-fi out there, something nice and original.  Oh and I think that director has finally learnt to hold a camera straight :)

CU Radbacker

Frank

Quote from: Radbacker on 07 June, 2014, 03:55:26 PM
Cruise really gets the Sci-fi made these days

Isn't the reason he and Will Smith are the only folk still making sci-fi films for geek audiences nowadays that they're too famous to get in on the Marvel/DC blockbuster action by playing superheroes? If Tom Cruise suddenly announced he was Batman, folk would (correctly) point out No you're not, you're Tom Cruise. See Ben Affleck.

Spikes

It was OK, I guess.
The story wasn't all that tbh, and the script seems to have passed through many hands before it was finished. Never a good sign, but still a fun enough diversion whilst waiting for the England match to start...

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Islamic State of Iraq and Sauchie on 07 June, 2014, 04:06:07 PM
Isn't the reason he and Will Smith are the only folk still making sci-fi films for geek audiences nowadays that they're too famous to get in on the Marvel/DC blockbuster action by playing superheroes?

It's because they're both members of the biggest Sci-Fi nerd-cult.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Hawkmumbler

One thing I did like about EoT was the not entirely daft change from Kaiji Kiriya to William Cage. At least they didn't call him something really groan inducing.

Fragminion

This was a fun movie. Of the 3 movies I have seen this year (in theaters) this grabs my #2 spot. Right after X:DOFP and knocks Godzilla to the 3rd spot.  Although the movie's only downside for me was the very end. It suffers from the Slate Grey effect and just to much shaky cam.

shaolin_monkey

Whoops, didn't realise there was a thread for it.  Saw it last night - very entertaining. Good aliens - quite spooky.  The action shots are good, and there's even a nice running joke re one of his squad.

Definitely a film to be seen on the big screen.  Unfortunately for the first time in an age I saw it in 2D, not 3D.  I was sat there the whole time thinking 'wow, I bet this would be great in 3D!'

Goaty

Saw Edge Of Tomorrow tonight, loved it! I create this illustration for the film

radiator

One of the best things about living in America - excellent second-run cinemas (a rarity in the UK in my experience).

Off to my local tonight to finally see this - 2x tickets for the princely sum of $5 (£3!), and they serve pizza and have a full bar right in the theater!

Buttonman

Yeah but does it have a sticky floor and wankers playing with their phones?

radiator

Nah, they make you pay extra for that.

radiator

It was really good. Not one for the Blu Ray collection, but solidly entertaining and a cut above the usual brainless blockbuster fare.

Proof that good leads and a sense of fun can go a long way towards getting an audience to go along with a pretty preposterous premise.

A high 3 stars, bordering on 4.

Overall it's been a pretty solid Summer for blockbusters.

radiator

Bizarrely, Warner bros. seems to be trying to retroactively change the name of the film to Live. Die. Repeat. and bury the actual title.

I know it didn't do great box office, but surely changing the title of the film post-release isn't going to help matters?

As it happens, I actually think the film would have been just as memorable had it been made on a quarter of the budget. I guess you need all of the cgi excess to lure in the average punter, but I found all the explosions and gunfire a little much for my tastes. Something a little more subdued would have been more effective IMO.

ISTR in the novel that the Mimics resemble giant dust-mites and have such a dense cellular structure that they're impervious to bullets, which is why Rita uses a specially made axe instead and the lead character eventually abandons ballistic weapons too. Would have been cool if they'd had this more in the film. As far as adaptations go though, it was actually pretty good. The novel was enjoyable but hardly a great work of literature - ISTR it had a very contrived ending where the lead characters had to fight each other? I didn't quite understand why Cage was conscripted in the movie - it seemed a bit of a stretch, and something they could have explained away very easily. There was quite a lot you just had to not think about too much to enjoy the film I guess.