Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Looks like the Slaine volume that follows The Horned God is indeed called Volume Four, it's listed on the Hachette site now.
Let the grumbling begin!

IndigoPrime

37/38 and payment listed on may account 18 Jan. Attempt at delivery on Friday.

Arkady

Quote from: Tomwe on 04 February, 2019, 10:42:32 AM
Looks like the Slaine volume that follows The Horned God is indeed called Volume Four, it's listed on the Hachette site now.
Let the grumbling begin!

Man, that's stupid.

sintec

Quote from: Tomwe on 04 February, 2019, 10:42:32 AM
Let the grumbling begin!

Ugh - that's so idiotic.  At least it's not on the spine where it'd be a really obvious glaring horror.

Tomwe

Was wondering whether they should have had numbers and subheadings. But then Horned God would have been called Vol4 and I suspect Hachette didn't want to start a series with yet another number on the front.

sintec

Ace Vol 2 is superb. By far the best of the 80s era comedy strips we've had in the collection so far imo.  Is that the last we're going to see of Bellardinelli in the collection?
If it is then that's a shame as his art is absolutely gorgeous in this.

Dante was also excellent, although maybe not quite as jaw dropping as the previous volume. Looking forwards to seeing where this is going next though, oh and more of that fabulous John Burns art.

Fungus

Glad to hear this view on Ace vol. 2. I got the idea from somewhere that it drops off as it continues. Really looking forward to getting reacquainted with Ace and thd rest - and that mind-boggling detailed art - after all these years.

IndigoPrime

It's been a while since I read the strip, but Ace Trucking always benefitted from the art. However, the scripts were pretty strong, too (more so than, say, Robo-Hunter for me), mostly due to being outright bonkers. However, after what's covered in this second volume, it goes downhill at speed, and becomes rather tiresome until the admittedly superb ending in one of the annuals (which has gorgeous painted art). Stopping where it does in this collection is a smart move, to my mind, even if you do miss out on that lush slice of Bellardinelli.

sintec

For me the scripts in this volume were top quality, better than some of the material in Vol 1. Evil Blood is a great villain and the rest of the crew also really shine in these stories. I'm very glad they took the editorial decision not to print the revival stuff as it's great to see it off on a high (although it's a massive shame to loose the painted Bellardinelli art).

This is head and shoulders above any of the Robo-hunter we've had so far.  Imo those have been the weakest volumes of the collection so far, they've really not aged well at all.

Tjm86

Quote from: sintec on 07 February, 2019, 06:57:30 PM
.... head and shoulders above any of the Robo-hunter we've had so far.  Imo those have been the weakest volumes of the collection so far, they've really not aged well at all.

TBH I always struggled with Robo-Hunter after Verdus.  A great idea that just somehow never seemed to fully work.  The less said about Millar's run the better ....  Slade's love affair with his Robo-meter?

Arkady

Anyone else's copy of the latest Dante pretty blurry in the first 3rd of the book?

I thought the war part of the story felt rushed, as is somewhat explained in the essay. The following stories... just didn't feel very good to me. A drop-off in quality compared to the previous volts.

Arkady

moogie101

Quote from: Arkady on 08 February, 2019, 07:38:51 AM
Anyone else's copy of the latest Dante pretty blurry in the first 3rd of the book?

I thought the war part of the story felt rushed, as is somewhat explained in the essay. The following stories... just didn't feel very good to me. A drop-off in quality compared to the previous volts.

My book isn't blurry at all.

Whilst clearly rushed I still enjoyed the end of the war, certainly a lot more than the  stories that followed it which were like the lighter stories in Book One that I wasn't a fan of.

abelardsnazz

Collected Robo Hunter volume 3 from my local Thrill-merchant this morning. To my surprise there was a copy of The Horned God attached. An enclosed note says there was a small misprint on the spine which this copy corrects. This happened before with one of the Nemesis volumes, didn't it? I'm not sure if I would have noticed or been too bothered if I had, but there it is.

IndigoPrime

Another Sláine book. Hachette didn't think it too many.

(I wonder if they'll reissue the books with the messed-up end papers. I know they asked people to respond to them about that, and therefore may avoid reissuing on the basis that hardly anyone bothered.)