Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

If we had proportional representation, Lib Dems may well have had a fighting chance – or some other new pro-EU party. As it is, with FPTP, we're basically fucked.

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 June, 2018, 08:24:17 PMBut I still can't understand why those voters aren't being courted in the same way the Tories courted the Kippers, racists, xenophobes, fogies and Little Englanders.

The UK couldn't support a one-issue party (even UKIP had only one MP, and he was a defection), so in practice that 48% wouldn't be a single body of voters in the same way the Kippers, fogies, and Little Englanders are.  Remain is riven with splits, with the hardcore often making it quite clear they no interest in actually building a cohesive political alliance - unless calling everyone else a racist and/or an ignoramus is the way one goes about doing that, in which case I have apparently been building the strongest political party in the UK on my blog since 2010, one drunken 3AM post at a time.

TordelBack

I suppose that's the source of my incredulity: if ever there was to be a single issue that should support a party - or coalition - in the short term at least, it's this. A real tangible imminent disaster, that almost half the people already oppose. But as Bear says, instead there's no hint of cohesion, or any will to create same. I can't believe that FPTP could stand up to a coherent anti-Brexit platform, if such a thing existed. Tragic.

JOE SOAP

It's a bit like hoping for the Greens to win on their core platform.

IndigoPrime

Quite. The only way a no-Brexit party could possibly do OK is if it had a shit-ton of cash behind it, forged an alliance with the Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and PC, and even then it'd be as a combined kingmaker with a very obvious red line. But that would never happen, because the Lib Dems and SNP won't work together, 1983's election showcases how much of a shit-show FPTP is to new parties and alliances, and Labour won't actually do the right thing. (Really, if Labour – or rather Jeremy fucking Corbyn – would support the single market, that's it. Brexit is over. But he wants his prize, despite it being against the majority of Labour voters, Labour members, the general public, and an increasing number of unions.)

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 05 June, 2018, 05:34:09 AMinstead there's no hint of cohesion, or any will to create same.

Tories apparently don't understand social media - and yet they've clearly created the FBPE hashtag.

Tjm86

They might not understand social media but they are masters at anti-social media.

Professor Bear

Why fight an enemy that outnumbers you when you can get them to turn on each other?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 June, 2018, 02:09:50 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 05 June, 2018, 05:34:09 AMinstead there's no hint of cohesion, or any will to create same.

Tories apparently don't understand social media - and yet they've clearly created the FBPE hashtag.

except they didn't ... https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/brexit/2018/02/what-does-fbpe-mean-and-could-it-stop-brexit-history-hashtag

IndigoPrime

Depends on the circumstances. With Brexit, that appears to be Corbyn's cunning plan. The tiny snag: in the meantime the UK will be totally fucked and he will inherit the ashes – if he's fortunate. (Chances are, he'll instead lose a ton of Labour votes through allowing this to happen.)

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 05 June, 2018, 07:24:44 AM

It's a bit like hoping for the Greens to win on their core platform.

Hah, well put! (Even speaking as a lifelong Green voter).

Although you might imagine thar even their stock might rise if 48% had voted against abandoning all environmental   measures, and lost to 52% who were promised that global warming would only increase the value of their seaside properties...

Professor Bear

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 June, 2018, 04:49:28 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 05 June, 2018, 02:09:50 PM

except they didn't ...

Yeah I was sort of joking there, DDD, I do not think that the actual Tories created the FBPE hashtag, if only because Tories are hilariously useless at social media.  I meant that FBPErs currently have a singular dedication to attacking the British left and dividing Remainers along several factional lines, and thus serves the Tories' agenda.
/McBainThatIsTheJoke.jpeg

Dandontdare

of course, I was joking too because...ummm..er

Look, I've been trying to feed facts to morons on Breitbart this afternoon (quiet day at work). I think the culture-shock of flitting from there to here all day caused some psychic dissonance or something.

Dandontdare

or the Breitbart version*;

jokes are supposed to be funny, libturd. Why do hate freedom, you butthurt snowflake?

(*the mild version to avoid getting banned, even in irony - seriously, it's scary down there dude)

IndigoPrime

I think if I had any lingering doubt about Corbyn, it died today. The man is an idiot and a liability and his leadership in years to come will be seen if anything as a worse decision than Cameron or May's.