Main Menu

Meg 236: Can't Get You Out of My Head

Started by Trout, 22 August, 2005, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

For me, Millarishness(other than the examples above)is Dredd agreeing to some kind of indiscriminate slaughter against mostly innocent people for vaguely explained purposes - see "War Games", where Dredd is happy to be drugged up and kill a bunch of citizens in order to test a new "aggro" drug for reasons that dont really make sense.  Millar Dredd doesnt seem to be able to distinguish between criminal and innocent - his attitude seems to be that since theyre likely to commit a crime at some point, treat them all as criminals and, if possible, mete out a savage beating just in case.

Of course, it's also indestructable villains felled with a good uppercut, but thankfully, not here.

Here we have the Judges setting a bunch of Dune Sharks on mutants in order to make some propoganda - In the Millar version of this story, there wouldn't have been any miscalculation, and Dredd would have been upset at having to save the muties.  

In the Wagner version, they probably wouldn't have told Dredd in advance, and he'd have gone and ripped the PR Division a new hole upon finding out he'd been played.

At least, that's how I'd imagine it, given the version of each writers Dredd thats formed in my head over the years.

Funt Solo

Byron's "some sort of fight on a conveyer belt" answered it quite nicely, although I wasn't sure if he was being metaphorical or literal (or both).  Either way, it tickled me.

Thanks for the longer explanation, as well - I really wasn't being arsey, it's just that I've never re-read any Millar Dredd.  In fact, I pretend that it didn't happen.  So, I'm a bit rusty on Millar's tics (beyond his total ignorance of basic continuity such as the size and geography of MC-1).

We could say this recent outting was Millar-lite, or Spurrier-off.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

'In the Wagner version, they probably wouldn't have told Dredd in advance, and he'd have gone and ripped the PR Division a new hole upon finding out he'd been played.'

Can I vote for this one in my Meg? Its the one that fits the version of Dredd-in-my head

Huff the Justified
DDT did a job on me