Main Menu

That Twitter thread… You know the one

Started by broodblik, 21 November, 2020, 07:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

He's an auld divil, no question, and I'm sure he'd consign most of us here to the bin marked "tyranny of the voting coupon".

CalHab

It looks like he's doubling down. This is just unpleasant to watch.

TordelBack

Continued...!
Looking at Pat's Twitter today, you have a guy telling him how every other Dredd writer undermines his and Wagner's work on the strip to the point of it not being worth reading (I may be misremembering the phrasing). Now nobody is denying Pat's enormous creative contribution to what the character became, but he has written less than 60 out of what's  getting on for 3000 episodes, and about half of those were in the '70s. What's more, he was also the editor that farmed out the strip to other writers in the first place.

This baloney (to be charitable) nostalgic viewpoint presumably represents a significant part of the audience Pat needs to tap into to keep his venture going, so I can see why he courts them - but it also seems horribly counterproductive. The Dredd strip is so much larger than his original (vital) input that it does nobody any credit to be dismissing the other writers who have developed and kept it going all these years.

It'd be easier to be a fan if Pat just championed his own huge successes without being seen to put down others, but that's undoubtedly his way, and I suppose we shouldn't be surprised.

IndigoPrime

Simon Bowland suggested he be more respectful of other creators. Mills told him to "fuck off".

The Dredd comments baffled me. Mills deserves credit for a lot of the world-building with The Cursed Earth. But after that point, Dredd was Wagner and Grant's baby, and Wagner's after that. Just because people are so wedded to Wagner's Dredd they cannot see positives in anyone else's work, that shouldn't provide fuel for suggesting no-one else gets the character. Al Ewing's Dredd was very Wagner in nature. Niemand's is too.

I guess it's all noise and marketing. Despite arguing to the contrary, Spacewarp is aiming for people nostalgic for early-1980s 2000 AD and many of those people are lapsed readers who have a bee in their bonnet about the modern Prog. But that leaves few avenues for Mills unless Spacewarp is a success, he downs tools, or Tharg decides that the noise doesn't matter and he wants more Sláine (or whatever), albeit from a creator that's been slagging off other writers, 2000 AD, Rebellion, etc.

TordelBack

I do think it's marketing, the free publicity of controversy and "taking the client list with me", coupled with the familiar vitriol that makes Pat Pat and a realisation that maybe you can burn bridges if at 71 you don't see the need to cross them again.

I do unreservedly wish him well, none of us would be here without him, but I still wish he'd treat his fellow scribblers better.

M.I.K.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 November, 2020, 08:04:27 PM
Simon Bowland suggested he be more respectful of other creators. Mills told him to "fuck off".

...and wondered how Pat could form an opinion if he hadn't even read what he was slagging off, which I've noticed Mr. Mills seems to have a habit of.

The Misty reprint special from 2009 was when I first really noticed him doing that. Tore into it, going on a tirade about how it was everything that was wrong with the comic after he was no longer involved with it and then said he hadn't actually read any of it.

Colin YNWA

Oh I wish I hadn't looked. We all owe Uncle Pat a bunch. When he's on form he can still crack out a glorious story. He's still full of that magnificent Millsian energy that imbues so much of his best work that's for sure... its just... for what ever reason he seems to be enjoying his notoriety or something and comes across as thrashing out without really thinking.

He'll of course rally some folks who will blindly follow him, regardless, their side choosen. He'll raise the ire of those that disagree so much with him and the rest of us. Well I can only speak for myself but its a bit embarrassing to watch and I just want it to go away.

RaggedMan

yeah, love Pat's work, agree creators deserve more rights and compensation, but that was a bit grim
the Mcarthy exchange was hilarious though

Pat: Screw the comics establishment
Brendan: Yeah screw 'em
Pat: You and me Brendan we're the outsiders
Brendan: Yeah outsiders
Pat: Bloody Christians
Brendan: Bloody woke marxist lefty snowflakes
Pat:
Pat: yeah, well, I mean these debates are too complicated for Twitter, really aren't they? Night Brendan
Brendan: It's not complicated at all woke lefty scum ruling comics
Pat: ah, me tea's on, got to go m8

IndigoPrime

Urgh. I'd no idea BMC was a full-on Trumper. What next? Will we discover Dan Abnett punches dolphins for fun?

GordonR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 November, 2020, 10:46:00 PM
Urgh. I'd no idea BMC was a full-on Trumper. What next? Will we discover Dan Abnett punches dolphins for fun?

He's been the full KP nutter for years.

The Twitter thing with him and Pat is just unintentional comedy gold.

JayzusB.Christ

I've had a look - a useful reminder of why I try to avoid Twitter where possible. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

His twitter is like GoT, you just don't know whom are going to get it next.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

CalHab

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 23 November, 2020, 08:04:27 PM

The Simon Bowland thing was awful. Bowland's point was a reasonable one and politely put. It certainly didn't merit that response (or Dan McDaid piling on). The whole thing was just depressing. I give Pat Mills a lot of slack, but my respect for the man took a real hammering yesterday.

Super Mario

He's been bad mouting people on twitter for weeks now and showering everyone with some seriously terrible takes on seemingly anything that comes to mind.

He hillariously keeps talking about how spacewarp is targeted at a youth audience except it's a black and white self published book that he's selling exclusively to people who follow him on social media.