Main Menu

Goodbye Carlos

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 01 October, 2018, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flesario

How very very sad. It feels like his work has been part of my life, growing up with Dredd. All thoughts with those close to him and thank you Carlos.

CalHab

Very sad news. He was truly one of the greats. Condolences to his family and friends.

Steve Green

Still in a bit of a daze to be honest.

I'd chatted with Carlos over facebook and in real life at cons a good few times over the past five years, what with advice about the fan film, commissions and helping out with Planet Replicas.

He was always generous and encouraging - Just recently I'd made up a retro helmet which Dan had printed out to send over to him, but had been put on hold with his surgery.

Carlos, you were an inspiration, a foundation of my comics appreciation, and a lovely man to boot.

We're all going to miss you a sneck of a lot.

wedgeski

Quote from: Goaty on 01 October, 2018, 08:51:34 PM
:'(
Goaty, that's a wonderful piece. I was handling it just fine until you posted that! :(

TordelBack

Quote from: wedgeski on 02 October, 2018, 09:16:41 AM
Quote from: Goaty on 01 October, 2018, 08:51:34 PM
:'(
Goaty, that's a wonderful piece. I was handling it just fine until you posted that! :(

Yep,  just brilliant.  Great to see your clever art here again mate,  even under these sad circumstances.

geronimo

Colm

What a brilliant storyteller and character creator. So much great art but Necropolis remains my favourite - especially that chase though the undercity. Thanks for everything, Carlos.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I have no idea where to start when talking about Carlos Ezquerra, an artist who has been a part of my life since I was too small to even understand that people drew for a living. In fact, when 2000AD came along and declared their creators to be "droids", at that age I probably thought that they were. In the same way that Tharg will always be the fictional "face" of the comic, Carlos- along with Pat and John- will always be what I think of when anyone mentions it. And thanks to his work, they do mention it- even forty-two years on from the start- and mention it a lot.
Last night I sat and read through The Apocalypse War, my absolute favourite of all his works, and cried the a way a man of nearly fifty probably shouldn't outside of the loss of a member of the family.
To imagine the comic without future strips by Carlos Ezquerra is, at the moment, impossible. I sincerely hope there are a few Dredds and Stronts in the pipeline, ready to print. But if so, when that last one comes, I will cry again, I know.
Would it be too much to hope that 2000AD have enough unpublished drawings by him hanging around in drawers, that the comic could periodically print Star Scans, so he never really has to go. And when they run out, reprint old covers as back pages. Make the little Dredd head on the Nerve Centre page always an Ezquerra, in perpetuity.
Comics have lost the most significant artist I've ever known in my lifetime, and a gutsy hero of the highest degree. My condolences to his family, friends, colleagues and every Squaxx in the world.

SBT

Keef Monkey

So sad. Impossible to overstate how important his art was in shaping my love of comics. He drew the first Dredd I ever read and among all the legendary and fantastic artists who have been in the prog he was always the definitive Dredd artist to me. When I picture Dredd it's his Dredd, those distinctive outlines and all. Same goes for Strontium Dog and anything else he touched.

I still love the prog and have never put it down, but it's hard to get as excited and lost in things (anything, not just 2000AD) as I did in my youth. Despite that, reading a new Carlos strip was always every bit as exciting as when I was reading as a kid and always took me right back to that thrill in a very real way. It hurts to know that powerful connection to that childhood feeling is gone.

Cheers for all the thrillpower Carlos, you absolute legend.

Tiplodocus

Terrible news. A genuine legend ofthe comics industry gone. Condolences to his family and friends.

Poor Alan Grant; two long time collaborators gone in the space of a week.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 October, 2018, 04:04:39 PM
Terrible news. A genuine legend ofthe comics industry gone. Condolences to his family and friends.

Poor Alan Grant; two long time collaborators gone in the space of a week.

Who was the other?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Oh ok, thanks Eamonn. Have to admit I'm not too well up on American creators but I know he was a very respected artist and I'm sorry to hear it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rara Avis

Oh no, what terrible news. I just heard. Just very sad ..

Echidna

So, so sad to see him go. But man, what a legacy to leave behind.