Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 06 March, 2021, 05:13:06 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 01 March, 2021, 12:22:58 PM
Last night I made it though the first 20 minutes of the first episode of 'Another Life' on Netflix before bailing.

Quite possibly the worst Sci-fi show I have ever seen, and I've been watching this shite for 4 decades.

Why's that then?  Poor acting?  Bad dialogue?

Well, yeah - fer starters.
The rushed and asinine opening 15 minutes resulted in Starbuck and a dozen pouting Big Brother contestants being tasked with an interstellar mission to go talk to some aliens.
I tapped out before getting much further. Just. Awful.

The cinematography had a certain cheapness about it too, not something I've seen on other Netflix produced shows.

repoman

I'm watching this new Superman thing.  I'm not enjoying it much but not hating it either.  I'm watching an episode and if it does well enough, I'll go onto the next.

Positives:  well, it's Superman and I quite like Superman (aside from anything since Superman 3).

Negatives:

Supes is no Reeve/Cavill.

Lois just isn't right.  I'm not looking to bodyshame anyone but she's aggressively thin.  Her face is so thin that her eyes don't really fit on it.  It's just a bit off-putting.  She hasn't got the heart or stubborness of Margot Kidder's Lois either.

They've got two sons in high school which means that CW get to do their whole teen drama thing.

One of the sons is a whiny emo kid.  He's hard to watch.  But thankfully he's not become entirely show ruining yet.  I'm sure he will be though.

Other son is more likeable.  That helps the show a bit.

They've invented a character called Captain Luther who isn't a relation to Lex.  He's just a guy.  That part of the story is the most interesting bit though as it seems to involve an evil Superman.  They're always going to bring in an evil Superman in these things I guess.

Hasn't resorted to 'bad guy of the week' Smallville shenanigans yet.

Two episodes in (I'm up to date).  I'll give it one more and will decide then if I want to continue.  I don't see me making it to the end of the series but will try to be open-minded.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 08 March, 2021, 11:04:29 AM
Black Sails finale.

Well, I expected 'some' of that, but that was a fantastic finale. What a great show.

Brought a tear to my glass eye, it did.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Jim_Campbell

Black Sails finale.

Well, I expected 'some' of that, but that was a fantastic finale. What a great show.

So nice to get a series that not only actually ends, instead of getting unceremoniously cancelled, but which sticks the landing as well. I definitely feel a re-watch coming on, with all the appreciative comments it's been getting the last few months.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

Black Sails is a show that I can highly recommend to anyone who has not seen it.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 09 March, 2021, 02:57:07 AM
Black Sails is a show that I can highly recommend to anyone who has not seen it.

Yeah just need not stick with it. The firsat 4 or 5 episodes aren't great, but once it gets into its stride it has some incredible moments. Its not quite Twin Peaks, Sopranos, The Wire good but its damned close.

Hawkmumbler

I spent much of the last week watching IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA which I initially intended to pace myself over, but quickly found it to be like crack.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'll be sipping a delicious and subtly zesty WOLF COLA(cm).

repoman

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 March, 2021, 09:40:56 AM
I spent much of the last week watching IT'S ALWAYS SUNNY IN PHILADELPHIA which I initially intended to pace myself over, but quickly found it to be like crack.

Now if you'll excuse me, i'll be sipping a delicious and subtly zesty WOLF COLA(cm).

WOLF COLA IS PISS!

Rara Avis

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 09 March, 2021, 09:40:56 AM

Smith

Best (anti) sitcom we have right now.

wedgeski

We finally got around to the closing season of Orange is the New Black and it was so good I felt I should apologise to the program for waiting so long (over a year). Enough changes to the formula to keep it fresh, the usual astonishing performances from a massive cast, deep cuts into the stinkiest layers of US corporatism, and more than its fair share of things in my eye. Really, really great.

Dandontdare

Just completed a full Archer rewatch (love that show), at the same time as watching season 10 of Bob's Burgers, which was bit disconcerting, voice-wise. I kept excepting Bob to tell Tina to eat a bag of dicks.

Also watched Tribes of Europa - German-made post-apocalyptic humbug. All the usual tropes and character-arcs are there, but these things always feel a bit fresher and different when they're not American. Ended rather abruptly after 6 episodes, but clearly primed for a 2nd season.

Barrington Boots

After rediscovering a load of (mainly horrible) early 90s anime that I used to be into, I've just started watching Cowboy Bebop, what must be the most recommended-to-me-anime-series of all time, and it is excellent. I should have watched this sooner. Curse my reactionary spirit!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 March, 2021, 02:14:26 PM
After rediscovering a load of (mainly horrible) early 90s anime that I used to be into, I've just started watching Cowboy Bebop, what must be the most recommended-to-me-anime-series of all time, and it is excellent. I should have watched this sooner. Curse my reactionary spirit!

I must be the only person in the world who doesn't gush over Cowboy Bebop.  I didn't even finish watching the series.  Had one or two episodes to go, but just couldn't be bothered.  It wasn't bad but I really do not get what the fuss is about and I don't think I ever will.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 March, 2021, 08:38:38 PM
Black Sails finale.

So nice to get a series that not only actually ends, instead of getting unceremoniously cancelled, but which sticks the landing as well. I definitely feel a re-watch coming on, with all the appreciative comments it's been getting the last few months.

So I loved that it ended so we'll but would also pay good money to see what TREASURE ISLAND would look like from the same team and cast.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!