May the Fourth be with us!!!

This is excellent news.

Indeed!!!  :) ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Rara Avis

At last! I'm not alone.

I don't understand the enduring popularity of these two characters at all.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 November, 2016, 02:12:02 PM
Mind you, it's turned into the Sin/Dex floppy these days. (I hope that changes soon. I realise the characters are popular, but I've never much cared for them.

Rara Avis

I probably missed the last few parts of this story.

Does the story conclude in the rest of what was published? 

Quote from: dweezil2 on 16 February, 2017, 03:26:12 PM
Indeed!!!  :) ;)

IndigoPrime

It doesn't conclude so much as stop, but if the book runs the content in order of publication, it ends in a good place. Frankly, Luke Kirby could – and should – have run and run.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 February, 2017, 07:55:48 PM
It doesn't conclude so much as stop, but if the book runs the content in order of publication, it ends in a good place. Frankly, Luke Kirby could – and should – have run and run.

Yeah it would have been great if that had happened. Even though John Ridgway really owned the strip I really enjoyed Steve Parkhouse's art when he took over and would happily have seen more from him.

IndigoPrime

The art switch was really jarring. Ridgway's style has that realistic edge that really suited the story. Parkhouse was much more cartoony back then – although I recall his art working really nicely when Kirby was [spoiler]surrounded by demonic horrors[/spoiler].

I wonder: why did it stop? Did the end of Kirby coincide with McKenzie leaving the Prog, or did he just get fed up writing it? I mean, he did an awful lot for the Prog at the time, but this strip stood out as being properly good.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 17 February, 2017, 07:43:10 AM
Yeah it would have been great if that had happened. Even though John Ridgway really owned the strip I really enjoyed Steve Parkhouse's art when he took over and would happily have seen more from him.
I vaguely recall from my last reread that at least one of Parkhouse's stories had gorgeous watercolour art which fitted in a lot better with the bucolic gothic vibe of the story than his Big Dave style might have.
We never really die.

Rara Avis

I'm really looking forward to reading the collected edition, it's good to know the story has a reasonable conclusion especially when it leaves the door open for either your imagination or a possible revisit.

Frank

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 February, 2017, 09:23:08 AM
... why did it stop? Did the end of Kirby coincide with McKenzie leaving the Prog?

David Bishop says he replaced McKenzie as Tharg on December 18th 1994. The last full series of Luke Kirby ran six months later, so it seems safe to assume that was an example of Bishop/McManus running something that was already in the pipeline when they assumed the Planet Of The Apes mask and overalls.

McKenzie's most recent post-mortem appearance in 2000ad was RAM Raiders (1996), which seems like the definition of the stuffwefoundatthebackofacupboardthatthepublishersmadeusputinthecomic mentioned in Thrillpower Overload.

His awful Chopper series and the Brigand Doom with the vampire accountant show up around the six month mark too, but I don't think McKenzie was ever commissioned to write for the comic after he left, whatever the reasons for that departure were.

DarkDaysBish-OP

Quote from: Frank on 17 February, 2017, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 February, 2017, 09:23:08 AM
... why did it stop? Did the end of Kirby coincide with McKenzie leaving the Prog?

David Bishop says he replaced McKenzie as Tharg on December 18th 1994. The last full series of Luke Kirby ran six months later, so it seems safe to assume that was an example of Bishop/McManus running something that was already in the pipeline when they assumed the Planet Of The Apes mask and overalls.

Nope, I said 18 December 1995 - not 1994. I was still on the Meg the. Alan and six other Egmont Fleetway staffers were made redundant in November 1994, including 2000AD;s publisher, Chris Power.

davidbishop

DarkDaysBish-OP

John Tomlinson & Steve MacManus took over at 2000AD in November 1994, if memory serves...

db

Frank

IndigoPrime

Greg M.

And now 198. I don't often go in for the special editions (Zenith was an exception) but this one's worth pushing the boat out for.