Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JLC on 25 February, 2017, 04:45:23 PM
Just started reading Nikolai Dante.
Awoof, most envious indeed!

Smith

Im starting Ballad of Halo Jones.Futuristic lingo is a bit confusing.

Tony Angelino

I've always thought it was just okay. A different artist and it may not have got past the first 'book'. 

I last read it in that collection that didn't have an Ian Gibson cover. That did not compute.

Mardroid

Quote from: Smith on 27 February, 2017, 07:28:59 PM

I guess it can be that way to start with, but I think it works. You can usually get what they're saying by context, etc.

Link Prime

You'll just love Crossed +100.

Smith

Quote from: Link Prime on 28 February, 2017, 11:58:12 AM

I dont think I would,actually.

Link Prime

Quote from: Smith on 28 February, 2017, 12:14:16 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 28 February, 2017, 11:58:12 AM

I dont think I would,actually.

Indeed, the Crossed material definitely wouldn't be to everyone's taste.
But this is a worthwhile read for Moore / Spurrier fans IMO.

Smith

Like I mentioned in a different thread,funny how Alans Avatar press work is probably more familiar then his 2000ad work.

Booster Gold

Just read through the first 3 issues of Black Hammer, and I've got IDW's Judge Dredd: Mega-City Zero at the top of my stack. Living in Canada I'm pretty much limited to whatever Diamond decides is worth shipping. I have, however, been diving deep into older books. Titles as recent as Grant Morrison's Batman saga, all the way back to old Whiz Comics and Captain Marvel (Shazam) stories.

Smith

This is going to be an unpopular opinion...I tried to like Halo Jones,I really did,but I just cant.Its not bad,it has plenty of ideas(you can probably see the seed of some future works here),but it feels very rough.Like the series cant decide what it wants to be.And sadly,its unfinished,so the build up of 3 books doesnt really go anywhere.

TordelBack

I've never understood how Halo Jones is 'unfinished': all the existing plots and characters are resolved, bar the odd apocryphal suggestion from the history class, every name, concept and organisation mentioned across the three series appears and contributes something. It ends where it begins, with the character gazing towards the stars, going out. If you didn't know there were additional books planned, you wouldn't miss them.

jacob g

In defense of Halo Jones (not that Halo needed one) - I recently reread Marvano's comicbook adaptation of Forever War, comic I used to love when I was younger, and TBH third book of Halo Jones changed how I see Forever War... Forever.

While both (comic)books deals with similar themes (war, human condition), Halo just works better for me. Feels more organic I guess. I'm not a person who needs to care about characters, I don't need to like them, I need to belive them, and this is where Halo Jones wins. Forever War is recognized as one of the best sci-fi comics in Europe, great adaptation of even greater book, splendid war commentary... yet all of this works better (in terms of comics as a medium) in Book Three of Halo Jones and HJ is just nice, engaging character arc.
margaritas ante porcos

Smith

Odd coincidence is that Im following Forever war now.
But yeah,the third book is the best one IMO.On the Halo herself,she is kinda bland.She just kinda goes with the flow and is tossed around by the story.She doesn't really exhibit an influence on her own life/story.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Booster Gold on 28 February, 2017, 08:37:50 PM
I have, however, been diving deep into older books. Titles as recent as Grant Morrison's Batman saga...

Some where around here we've got a whole thread about that on which I've wittered on both as they came out and on re-read about my love of that run. All the Batman you'll ever need (well aside from the Grant Breyfogle stuff)... hold on I'll see if I can find it for you...

...there you go...

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=27077.0

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 March, 2017, 07:09:38 AM
I've never understood how Halo Jones is 'unfinished': all the existing plots and characters are resolved, bar the odd apocryphal suggestion from the history class, every name, concept and organisation mentioned across the three series appears and contributes something. It ends where it begins, with the character gazing towards the stars, going out. If you didn't know there were additional books planned, you wouldn't miss them.

This totally.

When watching Neil Gaiman's review of Halo Jones in the recent thrill power video on the 40th (sorry, the title of the production skips my memory) I had similar thoughts when Mr. Gaiman laments the fact Mr. Moore did not finish the Halo Jones story. Don't get me wrong, it was a lovely review. And if Alan Moore had written or writes more (ugh, no pun intended) I'd snap it up. The future ideas of Halo Jones becoming a space pirate, etc are smashing, but I've always felt that the ending as we have it was fine and as a story it is complete.

Sequel stories, fine! They'll further the saga, but in a similar way to how the Star Wars sequels further Star Wars. If they'd stopped with A New Hope, your have still had a complete story that's fine in itself. If they'd stopped at Empire Strikes Back.. probably not so much, what with Luke's daddy issues and Han. being on ice, and all.