Main Menu

Fables

Started by I, Cosh, 27 May, 2007, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Floyd-the-k

I wouldn't pay money for it, but quite enjoyed the copy I got from a library last year, especially the 'Lord of the Flies'/'Animal Farm' episode. I think the charm of the premise would wear off pretty soon.

The Adventurer

I think the charm of the premise would wear off pretty soon.

It does not.

Part of the charm and cleverness of the premise is that the series can do a lot of genres and deal with a lot of themes without straying from it's core concept. It can be a political drama, an action/adventure, a war story, a murder mystery, a love story, etc... all at the same time.

It's so brilliant it makes my eyes bleed.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ukdane

I think I must be BKV-friendly then, as I'm also loving Ex Machina at the moment. I'd recommend people buy the Ex Machina trades. It too is a finite series, and is ending soon (again with great artwork).
Cheers

-Daney

Radbacker

I like almost everything Vaughn does, his characters are all so real and seem to be people I know or woiuld like to know.  They say Whedon is the master of smart dialouge but no one comes close to Vaughn in my opinion anyway, even his Marvel book Runaways is a top read.  I will admit that he does meander sometimes but two of my fav books at the moment are definatly Y and Ex Machina, i do only get trades as i believe its the best way to read his stuff.

CU Radbacker

Grant Goggans

I don't know... the whole preciousness over not revealing the name of the Adversary is what turned me off completely, and I gave up early on.  It was pointless to force a mystery into something that *every* one of the characters knew, and as such it became a game between the writer, trying to keep the secret for as long as possible, and the readers, anticipating that knowing who it was would change something or mark a turning point in the narrative.  Which is the point of a mystery, really, but all it changed was it allowed Willingham to start telling stories about the bad guy, which he could have been doing from about issue 6 with no real change in the comic's structure.  By the time it was spoiled, I'd given up on the comic and its prissy affectations and marketing.

The Adventurer

But no one (in the story) knew who the Adversary was (except for maybe Frau Totenkinder, see latest issue). So "It was pointless to force a mystery into something that *every* one of the characters knew" isn't true at all.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Ignatzmonster

Fables is my favorite also-ran. If can't find the comics I'm after but I don't want to leave the shop empty handed I pick up a Fables trade. Always enjoy it and think, I really should pick these up sooner.

Knew who the Adversary was before I arrived at that point in the story line (Not due to any brilliance on my part but because everyone on the web was spilling the facts) and did not think it "spoiled" the story. The infighting amongst the fables is more involving than the fight with the Adversary. The story of the exiles living far from home, plotting a return, while trying to maintain cohesiveness is always a great story. The Russians in Europe in the 19th cen, the Cubans in Miami, the leftist Chinese in California etc  Willingham impresses me more by tapping into that drama than the fables.