Main Menu

2000AD fanwork legality?

Started by judge-mental, 11 June, 2018, 06:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judge-mental

Hello all! I'm just wondering what Rebellion/2000AD's policy on fan material is. I understand the Strontium Dog fan film and Judge Minty were allowed to go ahead obviously, and the Dogbreath and Zarjaz fanzines exist, but would that be the case for fan games?

I'm playing with the idea of making a 2000AD parody dating sim game in Ren'Py, as a bit of a silly passion project to keep me occupied over the summer. Obviously not-for-profit at all, and I'd be using entirely original art, so I don't see how it would be any different from fanfiction with pictures basically. I've got some material down and some code, but I guess I'd like to be sure before I really get started on this thing.

I'm doing this because I'm a huge long-time fan of the comics, and I bet a ton of people would probably love to go on an extremely canon-noncompliant date with Anderson or Johnny lmao. It's been a huge part of my life in the last few years, and it's honestly saved my life as well, so I thought this would be a really fun way to be able to give back to the community. Just thought I'd just check first if there's something obvious I'm missing since this is probably a little less likely to be accepted than a straight adaption of the canon material, so to speak - not that I'm officially reaching out or explicitly seeking permission from them, because that would probably open up a whole inconvenient can of worms on their part.

matty_ae

Quote from: judge-mental on 11 June, 2018, 06:32:16 PM
not that I'm officially reaching out or explicitly seeking permission from them, because that would probably open up a whole inconvenient can of worms on their part.

I listened to an IP lawyer who explained two things:
1) Ignorance is no defence of copyright law
2) Neither is not making money out of it

So here's my advice. I think making an online book/game would be objected to once discovered. Particularly if it could be found by the general public. So don't proceed without permission unless you're prepared to pull it down later if requested.

Even if you're not infringing copyrights themselves, you run the risk of passing off, which is trading off their goodwill. Honestly I would write your own story. Maybe submit it to Zarjaz etc or print copies off for a few friends but if you put it online you do risk being asked to take it down.

Steve Green

Even having been involved in two with and one without permission, I wouldn't say there are consistent rules, except for the not for profit thing, being a baseline no-no.

What's OK at one point or for one type of media isn't necessarily going to be the same for another time or another type of media.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, but it's up to you.

Bolt-01

Have you contacted Rebellion and explained the project to ask for a blessing from Tharg?

Steven Denton

Definitely ask. I asked when I started to get serious about producing a fanzine and I was sent a set of guidelines. Essentially a list of don'ts, none of which were anything less than reasonable.

judge-mental

Hey guys - thanks for all your replies! I've come down a bit from my rather extended 2AM inspiration high, and now I'm sort of knuckling down and really realizing the scale of this project. Also starting to wonder who it is that would even want to see this, but then again sometimes it's enough to do things for yourself. Will keep all of this in mind as a to-do!

Thanks Denton - that info's pretty helpful in particular. Were you ever asked to change anything, or was that about it?

K2

When I began my project (novel), right off I contacted Rebellion/2000AD, very-briefly outlining what I intended on doing, where it would be shown, what it would contain relating to their copyrighted material, and made it very clear as to whether or not it would be for profit in any form.

The response I received (and that's a BIG point, they actually responded) was very gracious and helpful, yet also outlined what they would not contest, what they would, and what conditions would satisfy them as to disclaimers and so on.

Since yesterday is not today, and since my project is not your project, I'd suggest that you send them a VERY-brief email that is both concise and specific as to what you intend.  Abide by anything they ask, and be prepared for them to say "no" as well.

That said, the response to my brief correspondence pleasant and helpful.  So reciprocate by abiding by what they ask.

K2

Steven Denton

Quote from: judge-mental on 12 June, 2018, 03:21:47 PM
Hey guys - thanks for all your replies! I've come down a bit from my rather extended 2AM inspiration high, and now I'm sort of knuckling down and really realizing the scale of this project. Also starting to wonder who it is that would even want to see this, but then again sometimes it's enough to do things for yourself. Will keep all of this in mind as a to-do!

Thanks Denton - that info's pretty helpful in particular. Were you ever asked to change anything, or was that about it?

some of my ideas fell under the don'ts umbrella and had to be dropped. My entire contact was about 3 emails setting out ground rules. I would expect an arm's length approach. Rebellion, probably wisely, largely neither condone nor condemn fan projects. I suspect that approval would look like an endorsement and may even make things look a lot more official than they actually are.

K2

Quote from: Steven Denton on 12 June, 2018, 04:26:19 PM
Rebellion, probably wisely, largely neither condone nor condemn fan projects. I suspect that approval would look like an endorsement and may even make things look a lot more official than they actually are.

That was pretty much the impression of the tone of response I received.  They will not license or authorize your use of anything they own in that they're still making product.  To grant you a license means they're responsible for the content, and I imagine the project being fan-based that it would be pretty insulting to those on the payroll who earned their place for Rebellion to do so otherwise.

One of their requests to me speaks for itself.  That I place in a prominent location my disclaimer (which is essentially the first page) making strong note that my work was "unauthorized, not for profit" and then I added to insure everyone knew that I had zero relation to Reb/2000AD, added that I had not been paid to do the work.

Heck, it's just easier to post what I wrote:

The novel "Lest ye be Judged," is an original 'unauthorized, unpaid and not for profit' novel of which the author has not received compensation in any form for its production.

"2000AD, Judge Dredd, Eustace Fargo, President Gurney, Street Judges and any other part of the Judge Dredd Universe" are all copyrighted characters and themes wholly owned by Rebellion Publishing, Oxford, UK, who have not authorized, licensed or been paid for their use within this body of work.

Naturally, any images (artwork), logos, making claims of Rebellion's approval or support, etc. are all big no-no's.

K2