Main Menu

AUGUST ART COMP - DREDD'S DEAD, BABY, DREDD'S DEAD

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 01 August, 2016, 09:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

That's reading a hell of a lot into Pete's motivation.

It's just a bit of fun.

The Legendary Shark

I think that's a poor attitude, JD. Pete's entries always raise at least a smile and, to me, are as valid as any others. I don't think he's insulting or belittling anyone else in the slightest.

Maybe if Pete sawed his own ear off whilst dumping and drawing it would prove his worth as a serious artist...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

blackmocco

I think it's safe to say Pete's efforts are designed to humorously showcase how good everyone's efforts are in this competition. C'mon James. I think you're taking this way too harshly.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

COMMANDO FORCES

I'll be seeing Pete in a couple of weeks, so for the good of the forum, I shall give him a stern telling off.

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Bloody Hell - Jim and I fighting for the same Block? The End must be nigh! Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Seriously though, JD, it's just a fun art comp on a relatively obscure internet forum, that's all. No way is it worth getting so upset about.

Chillax, bro.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Buttonman

I'm saying nothing.

Good luck in getting that pole removed fro your ass Mr D!

Sorry, but really...

Albion

It's kind of obvious that Pete actually has huge respect for artists. He does have a blog on comic art!
I thought this competition was for fun and people of all abilities. It's a gag, and a good one.
Pete maybe controversial in some eyes but hey, a lot of artists are.
Long may he continue entering the competition.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Pete Wells

Quote from: James Dilworth on 14 August, 2016, 04:54:07 PM
If he has such little value for what other artists are doing on this forum than why does he keep posting entries like this?

That's a stupid thing to say.

I adore what other artists do, here and beyond. I've been doing a 2000AD cover art blog for over seven years now, often featuring art from the fine folks here. I started the 2000AD Messageboard advent calendar to share fan art of the people on here. I love and appreciate the effort people put in.

I have never, and will never, be disparaging of others' art. My SELF-depreciating manner is a very conscious way of saying I know MY art is naff, but I still would like to enter the compo. It is in no way a reflection of how I view others' work or the effort they put in.

Do my entries need to be of a certain standard now before I enter? How long do I need to spend on them before they are considered worthy of entry? Am I not allowed to enter just for fun now or is this somehow disrespectful to other artists?

Sigh...

Jim_Campbell

Stupidest art comp strop since the last one. Shirley this is an art comp tradition we can do without? All entries from all levels of ability have always been welcome, subject to CFM's adjudication on whether they fit the brief and/or follow the rules. 

James Dilworth

Pete.  That previous entry of yours?  Chopper?

That made me incredibly angry.  I mean really properly angry.

That comp had some truly brilliant entries, of all skill levels, and they had to sit alongside your toilet graffiti.

I kept my mouth shut.  Mostly because I just couldn't be bothered getting into an endless argument with people on the internet.

CFM called you out on it and hey, guess what?  People on the forum turned on him.  So much so that he quit the comp.

And here we are, once again, with another "this ain't shit" style post.

How often on this forum has an artist spoken at length about what this line of work takes out of you.  The long hours, the psychological cost, the constant doubts and the rare moments of joy.  People on this forum, myself included, are literally dedicating their lives to this pursuit.

I don't expect everyone to like what I do.  I certainly don't expect anyone to kiss my ass.  But for goodness sake can you just show the slightest bit of respect for the effort it takes?

And now for a quick critique of your entry. 

No.  It isn't good enough.  DO BETTER!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: James Dilworth on 14 August, 2016, 06:16:00 PM
And now for a quick critique of your entry. 

No. Just NO. People don't get critiqued on the art comp thread. You're coming across as a sanctimonious, elitist prick. Stop it.

Kerrin

The art comp has always been open to ALL levels of artistic endeavour and has a rich history of superb artistry and equally non-artistic but humorous entries. Good natured but robust piss taking also has a strong tradition not only in the art comp but the forum at large.

I think you really need to get some perspective with your approach to a forum based art competition that is supposed to be fun James  Dilworth. To say that you are personally affronted to see Pete's entry alongside your own is not only contrary to the values of the forum but also displays a rather unattractive arrogance on your part.

The Legendary Shark

Dilworth, my entry only took me about an hour and I did it sitting in sweat pants and a shirt with egg stains on it. I'm pretty sure I farted a couple of times while I was "drawing" it, too. There's no way it's going to win, which I knew before I even started doing it.

Would you like me to withdraw my entry?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Andy Lambert

I will be very gutted and extremely pissed off if the forum art competition is ended because of this sort of thing, but I can see it heading that way... :(