Main Menu

Aces Weekly from David Lloyd

Started by Emperor, 06 August, 2012, 03:56:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghastly McNasty

I subscribed to Aces Weekly because I wanted to read System Shock by Wessel & Ford. My following comments are in no way related to their story. In fact the quality of ALL stories inside is pretty damn high.

I don't like the setup. For starters the website is a bit crap, it doesn't feel modern to me, but that's a minor aside from the perspective of a web site builder.

My main grudge is that the whole reading process feels far too disjointed. Each story is split in to weekly installments which are far too small to get your teeth into. At the moment their are 6 stories running. Each story has 3 'Aces Weekly' sized pages, some of which have very few panels on indeed. The stories are so painfully and slowly drip fed it just doesn't work for me.

The second issue that you have to 'browse' out of each weekly installment, click a link, read a bit more, come out again, click a link, read a bit more. It's clunky. It needs to be a better reading experience. Therefore, I'm out.

Anyone else share my woes?

Professor Bear

18 pages of comics content a week doesn't sound like very much.  Are "Aces Weekly sized pages" the same as webbies (landscape format), by any chance?  Would that would mean 9 pages of UK/Eurocomic format strips?

Ghastly McNasty

Yes, they are landscape. Not sure about the comparison with other formats.

Also, no slide function on iPad for page turns. It's little things like this that make a big difference.

Bolt-01

Necroposting here, but it's worth it.

Over on ACES weekly the second serial for British superspy Velicity Jones has begun.

Written by Lee Robson and drawn by Bryan Coyle this is a cracking little spy adventure and IMO one of the strongest strips to run in ACES for a while.

Bit of blurb:
Set in the 1960s, "The Godcutter Affair", follows the events of "The Devil's Breath" (as seen in Volume 29). The international arms dealer Mael Riqueti has taken possession of the mythical weapon known as The Godcutter and is set to ascend to the head of the secret society known as The Brotherhood of The Blade – an organisation that counts some of the most powerful people on the planet amongst its ranks. Whoever possesses The Godcutter rules the world...

With the clock ticking, it falls to Britain's greatest secret agent, Velicity Jones, to stop Riqueti from plunging the world into chaos. However, the Brotherhood has acolytes in intelligence agencies across the world, and they know all about Velicity's mission...

Worth pointing out that I lettered it, but don't let that put you off.

ACES weekly is still only £6.99 which works out to a whole pound a week for the seven week run.

Dandontdare

Is this still a digital-only motion comic?

Bolt-01

Yeah, the basic set up is the same as it's always been and tbh a lot of the gripes that Ghastly has at the top of the page still stand.

I really like the concept and what it tries to be- but there are niggles with the delivery that nark...

Dandontdare

Shame - the content sounds good but I don't like digital much at the best of times, and wouldn't touch a motion-comic with a barge-pole. Either print a comic or make a cartoon, dudes!

Bolt-01

Ah, DDD- it's not often they get anything with actual motion in it. The closest I recall  was a strip where the pages acted like layers- so they were largely unchanged but they could have a stomm load of dialogue from a couple of talking heads before revealing an action panel.

But with all that- if digital isn't your thing- then this won't be the product to turn you.

Bolt-01

little necro-post here to let folk know that ACES weekly has a new serial starting this week...

If you head over to ACES Weekly at the moment they have just launched vol 41 (really, has it been that many?) which contains the first week of the third adventure for Britich spy Vwlicity Jones by writer Lee Robson and artist Bryan Coyle  (both of whom are old friends of FQP)

This is Velicity's third outing for ACES, she was also in The Devil's Breath, available in Aces Weekly issue 29 and The Godcutter Affair, available in issue 37.

You can read the first episode of The Silent Forest exclusively in Aces Weekly volume 41, which launched on August 26th, and each subsequent episode will arrive on the screen of your choosing every following Monday for the next seven weeks. A subscription to Aces Weekly will cost you £6.99 - or £1 a week, if you prefer! Back issues are available.