Main Menu

Wot I Ate On My Holidays

Started by Buttonman, 03 October, 2012, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

Quote from: Devons Daddy on 26 October, 2015, 06:22:28 AM
I was in Korea, WORK thing, they took for me dinner, and served me with
LIVE OCTOPUS with a raw egg yolk. :-\ an exotic and respectful traditional dish.

IT WAVED AT ME!!!!! :o

they take the octupi? (SP) bang its head and slice it up, the legs are not yet aware its dead, they crawl sliver and generally resemble Klingon Gak.

:sick:

I prefer my cephalopod(is that the right word?) dead and stir fired
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

auxlen

best tomato soup I ever had was back in the old east Berlin. so good!

Buttonman

And we're back! Some ill health to the mother in law meant we had to cancel a trip to Fuerteventura but when life serves you lemons head to the Lake District.

This was a 4 night break so there isn't too much to endure.

We started out at the Furness Railway Hotel in Barrow in Furness. This is part of a Wetherspoons and turned out to be a great pick. The room was great and only £49 a night. That didn't include breakfast but that was available cheaply in the pub.

To set the tone we had our first day lunch in the pub and I had these tasty tandoori skewers. Nice juicy meat and plenty of it. Couple of dips too. Well worth the six quid or so that it cost.

And that's not a Guiness that I'm enjoying - it's a nice hoppy pint of Doom Ale.

Hawkmumbler

Doom ale? You mean Doombar? If so thats a bloody lovely pint, goes down a treat with spicey food as well, and that looks like a nice set for under a tenner.

Oh, and LONG MAY THE FOODY THREAD LIVE!!!

Buttonman

I do mean Doombar! I usually make a point of having one of the guest ales rather than the fizzy and flavourless lagers of Miller, Carling, Fosters etc.

The hotel was room only so we ate breakfast both mornings in the bar. This was no hardship as we both ate well for under a tenner in total.

Here's me with the fresh fruit (apple, banana and blueberries) with thick Greek yoghurt and honey and a tasty roll and bacon. You also get unlimited help yourself refills of the filter coffee. I should get a job for Wetherspoons public relations office!

Something Fishy

Doombar is probably my favourite of our local Cornish ales.  That or Tribute.  Lovely.

Buttonman

Sorry, I moved that first terrible photo into a folder forgetting that it would break the link. Here we go again : 

For our first Barrow in Furness evening meal we wandered along the street to a nice hotel and bar called 'The Duke of Edinburgh' strangely there were no racist statements of cultural faux pas. We arrived at 9pm only to be told the kitchen was about to close - and this is on a Friday night! The manager said he'd get the chef to stay on and I had visions of us entering that Fawlty Towers episode or at least digesting a lot of chef's spit.

To keep it simple we both had the steak and had it cooked medium. This was a good choice - the meat was lovely with no gristle or waste. The thick chips were nice as was the plate filling green stuff. The wife had a blue cheese sauce and although I nicked some of it I preferred the meaty flavour alone.

Dandontdare

Blue cheese on a steak is an abomination. Now a nice creamy peppercorn sauce on the other hand ... mmmmmmm

von Boom

Butter! Butter goes on steak!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: von Boom on 07 April, 2016, 02:35:36 PM
Butter! Butter goes on steak!
What?! NO?!!!

Peppercorn sauce all the way!

Mattofthespurs

Nothing goes on steak. And it should be rare. Otherwise you are all heathens!

von Boom

A good steak needs to be rare enough that a skilled veterinarian could still revive it.

Buttonman

Medium; pink, no blood is my usual instruction.

For some reason we seem to be back in the Wotherspoons again. To be fair we did trek the streets of Barrow looking for a place doing the Sky Sports Centre on the Saturday afternoon but they were all showing the horse racing. Once place that looked promising "don't do food" and why would you?

Here is a nice Tex-Mex burger with a side of salsa. It was OK. For those worrying about my heart I ate only one of all those onion rings. The beer this time was a Brew Dog Dead Pony IPA - very nice and part of the £5.99 burger and a beer deal.

Zarjazzer

the greatest thread in the galaxy returns like something that's decided to turn up again. Whiny food critics should study this. Doombar's lovely...
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Buttonman

Still in Barrow in Furness we had our second evening meal in a Thai restaurant that the wife found on Tripadvisor. It was called Thai at Review and is the number one ranked place out of 101 in Barrow.

It was a bit strange and we walked by it twice before spotting the unmarked door when someone came out. It's actually a beauty parlour that becomes a restaurant at night. It only seats about 20 people but we got in no problem - I am a minor celebrity after all.

The kitchen is in the midst of the tables and is just like one you would have in a flat. A Thai lady cooks all the food to order and despite that the service was brisk. They don't have a drinks licence and we had to drink £1.60 bottle of water instead. Oh the humanity!

The menu was quite brief but most of the major dishes were covered - here's me having some chicken and coconut milk soup :

I enjoyed this but the 'homemade' appeal was taken to the extreme with large lumps of chicken, tomato and mushroom all floating about in the milky juice. The wife ordered some tiger prawn tempura but got chicken instead. We didn't complain and it was fine anyway, albeit a bit un-uniform is shape.

For my main I went with the classic - Thai green curry :

This looks a lot like my starter but it was a different spice and texture. It had a nice back of the throat burn and a lovely creamy and spicy flavour.

Quite an unusual place but well worth the efort and only about £40 for us in total.