Main Menu

New Thrills for Prog 1589!

Started by 2000AD Online, 21 May, 2008, 11:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

All-new stories start in Prog 1589, on sale 4 June 2008...

JUDGE DREDD: THE EDGAR CASE
By John Wagner, Patrick Goddard and Lee Townsend

Dredd's nemesis, former head of the Public Surveillance Unit Jura Edgar, is dying from terminal cancer. But she knows where the bodies are buried ­ and sets Dredd on a trail of corruption within Justice Department...

DEFOE: BRETHREN OF THE NIGHT
By Pat Mills and Leigh Gallagher

Following the Great Fire of London, the undead rose from the ashes. It's up to zombie hunters like Titus Defoe to rid the capital of the ghoulish menace ­ and now he's been joined by the 'Dirty Dozenne' to aid him in his quest!

NIKOLAI DANTE: AMERIKA
By Robbie Morrison and Simon Fraser

Dante and Jena Makarov travel to Amerika ­ an occupied territory under the yoke of Tsar Vladimir the Conqueror ­ to help maintain the peace. But there danger lurks in many guises...

THE VORT
By G. Powell and D'Israeli

Mined for its enormous source of power, the Vort is a world of great importance to the Aggregated Planets Cultural Union. Unfortunately, the native aliens see it differently. And since technology doesn't work on the Vort, photographer Meridien Bless is about to witness conflict at its strangest...

SINISTER DEXTER: YER ASS FROM YER ELBOW
By Dan Abnett and Anthony Williams

The War of the Moses is underway, and sides are being taken all over Downlode. Sinister and Dexter are freelance hitmen, taking jobs where they need to, but they're going to be caught in a citywide gang war...

Link: Tharg's Newsround

Buttonman

That's a spicy meatball right there.

Nice balance of strips, the current load are a bit samey in their bleak dystopian outlook.

Leigh S

Looking good - three stories im actively looking forward to, and two I cant really begrudge (though I'd like to see them wrapping up sooner rather than later)

Always good to see a new name on the writing credits, though I can't shake the feeling that the mysterious "G.Powell" sounds like a pseudonym hiding a link between this and another DisRaeli tale.  Hope not, as I believe that children are our future - Teach them well and let them lead the way.Show them all the beauty they possess inside.

Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be.

Proudhuff

The good, the mad and the undead, only one I don't like: Anthology yadda yadda. so a happy huff...

DDT did a job on me

Goaty

TordelBack

Wow, I could have written that line-up as a 'most wanted stories' list, aside from the "G. Powell" mystery scripter.  

Good choice of Goddard for a major Dredd tale, he's certainly earned his place lately, and this should be an answer to the totally (unjustified, IMHO) criticism of the use of 'cartoony' art on recent Dredd tales.

Just please don't let the 'Dirty Dozenne' turn Defoe into a one-episode-per-character Meknificent 7 re-runs.

And more Williams Sin Dex, ace!

The Monarch

yes! now thats what we're talking about!

radiator

Wow, that Dredd story sounds fantastic - Edgar is my one of the best Dredd supporting characters, though it seems here her and Dredd are going to be working together as they were on 'The Chief Judges Man'.

Dark Jimbo

What's the lowdown on Edgar? My only past expierience of her was in The Chief Judge's Man, and she didn't really get to do anything of note there.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

Hmm, re: that Dante page - is that two fourths of a Fantastic Four parody?
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

She was in charge of PSU, a bit like J Edgar Hoover (hence the name) but twice as nasty
DDT did a job on me

radiator

Spoilers follow....

As Huff says, Edgar was once head of PSU and used the information at her fingertips to bribe and control every powerful figure in MC1, including former Chief Judge Volt.

Dredd came into conflict with her a few times and the two became locked in a sort of covert battle of wills which culminated in Demarco getting the boot from Justice department. This was done as 'punishment' for Dredd's interfering.

Edgar eventually came a cropper in the days following the Narcos robot war, when she was booted out of power by Hershey. She was put on trial, but managed to worm her way out of any criminal charges, she was instead demoted to the position of running a cursed earth work farm - this is the capacity we see her in in 'Revenge of the Chief Judge's Man'.

For the full story, check out the Hamlyn GNs 'Blind Justice' and 'The Scorpion Dance'.

W. R. Logan

>Wow, that Dredd story sounds fantastic

it is, read it a while a go and its Wagner proving that he's no where near taking that long walk.

Dunk!

>Wow, that Dredd story sounds fantastic

it is, read it a while a go and its Wagner proving that he's no where near taking that long walk.

Can't wait.
"Trust we"

satchmo