Main Menu

Vegetarian meal help needed! (with drawbacks)

Started by shaolin_monkey, 07 January, 2016, 03:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

I have been tasked with creating a straightforward vegetarian meal for two, but for a person with some quite severe food allergies.

I need a recipe that DOES NOT contain the following:

Eggs
Mushroom
Peppers
Tomato
Celery

Can anyone suggest anything please? 

I need to be able to gather the ingredients and get it cooked between 6.30pm and 8pm, so time is short!!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 January, 2016, 03:50:40 PM
Can anyone suggest anything please? 

Vegetarian rather than vegan?

Halloumi is your friend.

Leave the tomatoes and chilli pepper out of this:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1167647/halloumi-with-chickpea-salsa-and-couscous

I'd suggest griddling some long, thin slices of courgette to add in as well.

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

A fine suggestion from Jim.  Some asparagus tips griddle in lemon juice and olive oil also hit the spot.

And never forget hummous as they ideal starter - if you have time, make your own to look especially posh. Lightly toasted pitta or crunchy carrots to dip into it.

(This made me realise how many of my fave recipes are tomato based).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

Thanks both - much appreciated!!

I also found this, which seems to suit the bill, particularly bearing in mind her food intolerances:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3084674/pea-and-new-potato-curry

It takes some time to make, but is hot and very tasty looking!

Any other thoughts?  To be honest, if I'm going to cook for her with any regularity, I need as many suggestions as possible! 

Professor Bear

Are these real food allergies, or is your friend just being awkward like most vegetarians?

If BBQ sauce or garlic butter is safe (or if you can use any kind of butter/soy/olive spread with some seasoning added), you can grill ears of corn by glazing them, wrapping them in some foil and turning occasionally until they're tender.
Or slice a cauliflower into "steaks", then sear them for a few minutes in vegetable or sesame oil, then bake them in an oven until they tenderise (about 15 minutes-ish).  Serve with an appropriate steak sauce.

shaolin_monkey

The egg and mushroom is just a strong dislike. The rest is real unfortunately - her lips and throat swell badly, and she gets blisters on her tongue.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Theblazeuk

A vegetarian who doesn't like mushrooms or eggs would be my worst nightmare to cater for (Vegans are not allowed to be fussy about vegetables, they pushed it when they took out eggs & cheese).

However - you cannot go wrong with halloumi.

Short pasta with gently fried courgette + goats cheese and a squeeze of lemon is also great. I'd give you a recipe but frankly you could work it out from that description... (hint you add the goats cheese at the end).

You can also take peppers out of any chilli recipe and just use beans (or quorn if that's acceptable), usually pretty lovely. Just check that the spices won't cause any issues if there's a pepper allergy paprika might be out of the question.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 07 January, 2016, 11:24:35 PM
I suggest ditching the fusspot.

She has too many tremendous qualities just to be put off by this, but thanks for the suggestion all the same.  ;)

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 January, 2016, 10:25:56 AM
A vegetarian who doesn't like mushrooms or eggs would be my worst nightmare to cater for (Vegans are not allowed to be fussy about vegetables, they pushed it when they took out eggs & cheese).

However - you cannot go wrong with halloumi.

Short pasta with gently fried courgette + goats cheese and a squeeze of lemon is also great. I'd give you a recipe but frankly you could work it out from that description... (hint you add the goats cheese at the end).

You can also take peppers out of any chilli recipe and just use beans (or quorn if that's acceptable), usually pretty lovely. Just check that the spices won't cause any issues if there's a pepper allergy paprika might be out of the question.

Cheers blaze!  I think perhaps I just need a bit more imagination and inventiveness really.  Halloumi is a good idea - she has used it a lot in her own recipes, so I know she likes the stuff. 

Finding a replacement for tomatoes and peppers has been the biggest issue.  Plus, most vegetarian soups have bloody celery in it!  Nightmare.

I, Cosh

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 January, 2016, 12:22:04 PM
Finding a replacement for tomatoes and peppers has been the biggest issue.  Plus, most vegetarian soups have bloody celery in it!  Nightmare.
Stilton and Broccoli soup was a Christmas stable round my parents' house.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Bear may well be a full on troll at times but his suggestion  of sliced and roast cauliflower is a goody. Some posh bird cook book (My New Roots, I think) does a really nice version.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

"Troll"?  How very dare you, sir!  My inexplicable yet vaguely-Freudian hostility towards vegetarians is real.

Theblazeuk

Don't thank me. I forgot that 'Chilli' has chopped tomatoes as its main ingredient, no matter how veggy/pepper free you make it!

You can however make a great Thai curry with just coconut milk, red thai paste and whatever vegetables you care to throw in there. Yet to find anything that doesn't go well.

Pyroxian

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 January, 2016, 02:11:00 PM
You can however make a great Thai curry with just coconut milk, red thai paste and whatever vegetables you care to throw in there. Yet to find anything that doesn't go well.

Thai paste can have chilli / peppers in it. You could probably make it from scratch though, leaving out those. I've done that with curry powder / paste before as my Mum's allergic to peppers.

Hawkmumbler

Hhhmmm...baco....

Nah, can't do it. :P Some gorgeous sounding grub here chaps, and I second the Tips cauliflower. Can't go wrong with a bit of cauliflower.