Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Remember when Stanley Johnson accused the British publib of being illiterate and that they couldn't even spell Pinnocio?

He was right.
You may quote me on that.

Greg M.

Tory win? 100% predictable. The scale of it? Maybe less so. But give Scotland indyref2, and I am quite sure that this time, finally, we'll make the right choice and be out of this joke of a union. The problem, of course, is that Johnson won't let us have it. Which will in turn inevitably increase the desire for it.

TordelBack

Phew, finally the UK is safe from anti-semitism.

This UK December election has turned out to be an historian's blessing, neatly marking the twenty-teens as the decade that western democracy shat the fucking bed. Enjoy Christmas, my turkey friends.

karlos

What an absolute nightmare we're in.

IndigoPrime

I'm still angry. Mrs IP in tears all last night. This shortly after the first time she told me she no longer feels safe and secure in the UK. She's now driving to work, where staff had Farage posters up and were being shitty to her because they knew she's a migrant – as are a third of the people who work there. She's been shopping around in Sweden, idly looking for houses.

I don't want to leave everything I know and start again. I don't want my child to lose all her friends and start again. But it almost feels inevitable now.

karlos

I truly hope that this sort of disgusting nationalistic fervour soon dies down.  I just don't know.

No-one should ever feel threatened in that way.

I can't stand what this country is now.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 13 December, 2019, 08:38:14 AM
I'm still angry. Mrs IP in tears all last night. This shortly after the first time she told me she no longer feels safe and secure in the UK. She's now driving to work, where staff had Farage posters up and were being shitty to her because they knew she's a migrant – as are a third of the people who work there. She's been shopping around in Sweden, idly looking for houses.

I don't want to leave everything I know and start again. I don't want my child to lose all her friends and start again. But it almost feels inevitable now.

Absolutely awful to read that, IndigoPrime.

Devastating to think that there are people so awful, that they think that behaviour is acceptable. Sad that the Newspapers, Politicians etc. have one their damndest to normalise and make acceptable the behaviour of vile people who add so little to our communities.

Someone said this morning that Brexit isn't a British thing, it's an English thing. I think we are headed towards an horrendous, even more uncertain and chaotic times in the UK, or at least for as long as the UK lasts.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: karlos on 13 December, 2019, 08:51:36 AM
I truly hope that this sort of disgusting nationalistic fervour soon dies down.  I just don't know.

Of course it won't. It just won the Tories a landslide — they're not putting this back in its box when it works so well for them.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rately

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 13 December, 2019, 10:11:47 AM
Quote from: karlos on 13 December, 2019, 08:51:36 AM

Of course it won't. It just won the Tories a landslide — they're not putting this back in its box when it works so well for them.

Hope you are wrong, Jim, but I think my optimism is misguided.

All we can do is try and be decent, and hope that eventually people wake up and realise that we are marching towards a very dark, dangerous time in History.

IAMTHESYSTEM

You could argue the North of England, who lost many Industries like Shipping and Coal to the first wave of Thatcherite Neo-Liberal Freemarketeers has finally got their revenge upon the globalists. Quite a way to go about it, so we'll have to understand that we'll be leaving the eurozone sooner, rather than later. Nationalism I suspect has been the winner here, both in England and Scotland. Gas-Putin must be rubbing his hands with glee at a weakened E.U. All left-leaning Parties appeared to have recieved a mauling by the electorate, but that's the way it went. Not much to be happy about Brexit looks now unstoppable.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

karlos

We gotta have hope, chaps.

What a disaster.  I'm literally sat in work whilst people argue around me.

Grim.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 13 December, 2019, 10:32:52 AM
Nationalism I suspect has been the winner here, both in England and Scotland.

You keep using "nationalism" like this in relation to the SNP, but their platform is determinedly internationalist, rather than the isolationist nationalism peddled by the likes of Johnson, Farage and Trump.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

No matter how anyone feels about their nation and the teeming hordes of swarthy letterbox-faced jihadist rape-gangs that threaten to overwhelm the queue in Lidl, it seems genuinely beyond comprehension that someone could look at Boris Johnson and think "yep, that's  the man who'll look out for me".

If - eyes fully open to his endless lies, venal shenanigans and cynical buffoonery - another nation can deliberately grant someone like that the power he craves, I don't know where it's all going to end. Like Trump, what could Johnson possibly do that would unsettle his followers?

I really truly feel for you, UK peeps - and individual stories like IP's break my heart.

The Legendary Shark

We've had our disagreements, IP, but your post genuinely brought a tear to my eye.

I feel bad for you all but please don't despair, you are stronger and more powerful than you know. I don't want to sound trite or condescending (too late?), but I put my faith in individuals - like you wonderful, amazing, humane people - and not in tribes, factions or institutions.

Peace and love, my friends, peace and love.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]