Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

Currently back on Fruit Ninja on iPhone - engaged in a high score battle with my girlfriend on Arcade Mode.

I'm currently winning with 807...

Professor Bear

Saints Row 3, which finally catches up with San Andreas a mere 8 years and one generation of consoles later.
Fantastic game.  Fixes a lot of what I disliked about GTA4 and goes for enjoyment over realism.  "Jumping a military humvee packed with strippers over a bridge into a city district overrun by zombies as the theme from Karate Kid plays on the stereo" has now overtaken "setting myself alight in a schoolyard" as the way I want to go out.

Battle: Los Angeles, which I finished in about thirty minutes.  An ugly, sluggish COD clone based on the film of the same name, available for download for four quid, which I suppose is reasonable for what you get.

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, which started fun with a few spectacular splosion bits, but then seemed to consist of missions that dragged on forever with combat that feels a bit arbitrary.  Throws cheevos at you if you're into that kind of thing, mind.

Richmond Clements

Jetpack on the iphone. Brutally simple and very addictive.

radiator

Do you mean Jetpack Joyride?

There's a game called Jetpack on the App store but it looks like a knock-off of the former, which is better and free.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 04 January, 2012, 03:24:22 PM
Do you mean Jetpack Joyride?

There's a game called Jetpack on the App store but it looks like a knock-off of the former, which is better and free.

Aye, that's the one!

Keef Monkey

Finished Dead Rising 2 last night, which I actually sat down to it quite excited having very fond memories of the first game. It was fun for a couple of hours but became a slog when I realized it was exactly the same game, and that I'd ignored a lot of the original's flaws just because I was chuffed to be beating up hundreds of zombies on my nice new 360 at the time.

I still felt compelled to see it through to the end, but was groaning quite often at the ropey boss fights and clunky systems. Any game that makes fighting zombies seem like a chore and an inconvenience in the way of your 50th fetch quest is just criminal, because everyone knows zombies are arsom. Plus it's odd that the series focuses so much on bosses because they really don't have a clue how to do them right. A good boss fight is almost like a puzzle to be overcome, in DR they just throw you in a room with a guy more powerful than you with unavoidable attacks and hope you've gone into it with enough orange juice to make it through the fight. They'll need to make some pretty big changes if I'm going to bother with DR3.

Durendal

I picked up Dark Souls today. I heard it's pretty tuff to play and it certainly is seeing as I get a disc read error.
God damn pre-owned junk

Satanist

I'm playing Dark Souls just now and it's a strange one. The graphics are great, story is non-existent, combats basic and the enemies are dirty fucking bastards! I've played for about 10 hours and still seem to be farting about right near where I started and yet I cannae wait to get stuck back in.

I think it's the knowledge that I CAN beat that knight dude if I just take my time and he MIGHT drop something good at the end of it. The whole risk vs. reward thing it has going on is very enticing while making the whole experience extremely tense.

To sum up I am loving it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just bought Alien Breed and Alien Breed: Tower Assault from GOG for $5.99, whatever that is in Real Money. All ready to play on a modern PC. Downloading it now!

Wonder if the dark bits are as bloody hard as I remember on the Amiga.
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

I misread that and thought you'd got the 'new' Alien Breed stuff, which is actually pretty fun for what it is. So many great memories of those classic Amiga ones though, brilliant!

radiator

Drop7, an addictive little iOS puzzler. It's sort of like a cross between tetris and sudoku. As far as I can tell there's not a huge amount of difference between the free and paid versions so it's well worth a look.

The only problem is that I can only get so far before it just spams you with 1s, the equivalent of those bastard zigzag blocks from tetris, and then it's game over.

Also Muffin Knight, again on ios. Fun platformer, reminds me a little of the original (pre-NES era) single screen arcade Super Mario Bros.

chris_askham

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 06 January, 2012, 09:08:16 PM
Finished Dead Rising 2 last night, which I actually sat down to it quite excited having very fond memories of the first game. It was fun for a couple of hours but became a slog when I realized it was exactly the same game, and that I'd ignored a lot of the original's flaws just because I was chuffed to be beating up hundreds of zombies on my nice new 360 at the time.

I still felt compelled to see it through to the end, but was groaning quite often at the ropey boss fights and clunky systems. Any game that makes fighting zombies seem like a chore and an inconvenience in the way of your 50th fetch quest is just criminal, because everyone knows zombies are arsom. Plus it's odd that the series focuses so much on bosses because they really don't have a clue how to do them right. A good boss fight is almost like a puzzle to be overcome, in DR they just throw you in a room with a guy more powerful than you with unavoidable attacks and hope you've gone into it with enough orange juice to make it through the fight. They'll need to make some pretty big changes if I'm going to bother with DR3.

Completely agree with you Keef. Everything that was wrong with the first DR is still wrong with DR2. I'm stuck on the last battle with TK, and just can't kill the cunt. Think I'm going to have to just give up on it, but I feel extremely pissed off that I'm not going to be able to complete it. And I refuse to restart the game again just so I can level up a bit more and get an extra couple of health boxes. Pile of shit.

Professor Bear

Quote from: chris_askham on 13 January, 2012, 12:02:42 PMAnd I refuse to restart the game again just so I can level up a bit more and get an extra couple of health boxes. Pile of shit.

While I agree there's a shitload wrong with DR2, the leveling-up problem (which makes DR unplayable until your character hits at least level 15) has been addressed with the Free Play option, which is just you running around the entire playing area killing zombies as you see fit without any of the timed missions to distract you, then you can load your character into the regular game once you've leveled him up sufficiently.  I recommend Free Playing and then hitting that area in front of the hotel with a little path cut down the middle of the island out front (the one that has a maintenance room right next to the door where you can save your game in the middle of the path) and grabbing the grass trimmer and knives nearby and combining them on the workbench, then load a new area by entering a building nearby, then come back through the door - to where the trimmer and knives have respawned - while killing all around you with the knife/trimmer combo for 400xp per kill.  If you can have a magazine in your inventory that extends the lifespan of knife weapons you can repeat this process (killing loads of zombies in one area using good weapons and then leaving and re-entering the area so those weapons respawn) in other places and jump levels really easily.  Just have a look about for somewhere you can rack up a good headcount.

Keef Monkey

For what it's worth Chris, I beat TK by running up and hitting him with a 2x4 or similar weapon, then doing the roll dodge before he could hit me. It took a while and was very dull, and you still have to run down the bit at the side to grab more health/weapons at least once (without stopping long or fire shoots out the floor at you).

You're right at the end so you might want to see it through just for closure, but I wouldn't blame you for walking away, that fight is just shoddy.

SquashedFly

Dead Rising was a game I really should of hated.

It takes a shitload of grinding to even be able to progress storywise but twatting zombies with a 2x4 never got old. So it never felt like a "grind". Once you get past a certain level it's brilliant but it is one you have to stick with, and for that reason It's not for everyone. DR2 was alright but it didn't grab me in quite the same way. Still enjoyable though.

As for the last game played, Half-Life 2 for me.

It's been a good year and a bit since I last had a bash. After my 360 broke The Orange Box was one thing I was gutted I couldn't play. My sister has a new 360 now and I had a whirl of Half-Life 2, and I was reminded why I still think of it as one of, if not definitely my favourite game of all time. Some of the sequences in haven't been bested in terms of excitement and fulfillment. The attempts to escape the Combine from the beginning, Ravenholm. Just brilliant. Definitely still the best pacing I've experienced in a game.