Main Menu

Nintendo Switch

Started by radiator, 20 October, 2016, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: radiator on 12 June, 2018, 07:44:14 PM
The presentation - and e3 in general - has been a huge let down for me regarding Switch news.

I was confident that, now the Switch has a solid install base, we'd see a huge surge of new games, ports and indie titles being announced, but I guess not?

In fact the only new thing to catch my interest so far has been the new Trials game. And that's really about it.

Sorely disappointing.

On a whole, there's been a couple of switch game announcements. I just got word that Grim Fandango is coming, as well as some really really nice releases from limited run games (THUMPER!).

Nintendo has said that their presentation was meant to represent things which will be released in the nearest future, focusing on the new Smash bros.

They could (and most likely will) do another nintendo direct soon with bigger things to show.

But yeah. E3 hasn't been that hot this year. Not for me at least. But got some nice things to look forward to. Smash bros, DAEMON X MACHINA, Sekiro and Death Stranding.

radiator

QuoteI'm fine with E3 Nintendo Direct, Daemon x Machine is right up my alley.

DxM does indeed look great.... but the announcement was pitifully vague in terms of concrete information, release date etc. Could be over a year away for all we know.

QuoteI can't help feeling what they really mean is 'the shite Switch version will arrive 8 months later'.
If this is the case we could end up with a similar sistuation to what happened with the Wii U - inferior version comes out late, no one buys it, support dries up.

I hope not - the huge install base that Switch already has - and the appetite there is for more games would suggest that it's a huge market ready to be tapped. In any case, I don't think it's realistic to expect the latest and greatest current gen games to get ported to Switch - I'm more interested in 1st and 3rd party Switch exclusives, indie games, and ports of older titles like Dark Souls, and these kind of announcements were surprisingly thin on the ground.

James Stacey

Switch already had a bigger installed user base in less than a year than the WiiU did in its entire run.

JamesC

I hope the Switch is a success as it was a real shame the Wii U died (I still think it's a great console) but I'm still not convinced the user base is broad enough to persuade developers to make AAA games for it - not just inferior ports but software designed for the system.

TordelBack

My boy has just today installed Fortnite on the Switch.  That I should live to see the last days of my house!  The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow. How did it come to this...

Pyroxian

The presentation - and e3 in general - has been a huge let down for me regarding Switch news.

I was confident that, now the Switch has a solid install base, we'd see a huge surge of new games, ports and indie titles being announced, but I guess not?

In fact the only new thing to catch my interest so far has been the new Trials game. And that's really about it.

Sorely disappointing.

My Friend Pedro looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaPBAKg3VT4

radiator

Quote from: Pyroxian on 14 June, 2018, 04:28:42 PM

Sorely disappointing.

My Friend Pedro looks awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaPBAKg3VT4

Haha - it does indeed. Slipped me by somehow. Looks almost like a 2.5d side-on Hotline Miami.

Zenith 666

Hollow knight is absolutely amazing and for £15 it's a bloody steal.cannot recommend highly enough.

TordelBack

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 June, 2018, 04:21:11 PM
My boy has just today installed Fortnite on the Switch.

Thankfully it turns out that it's not compatible with his PS4 account, so there's at least some chance he might use his legs and/or vocal chords again...

Tiplodocus

Same here. Might try it myself as running around until someone kills you looks pretty easy.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

This is already essentially my experience of battle mode in Mario Kart 8. Start. Sit in gaol. Get rescued. Sit in gaol some more. Repeat. Where's my agency, damnit!

Fantastic version of that game though - some of the tracks are mesmerisingly great, and there's enough variation and oomph to the hazards that I retain some chance of beating the kids.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

GrudgeJohnDeed

Looks like a must for shmup fans!

Apestrife

Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 26 June, 2018, 02:53:14 PM

Good that you mention it. What do you make of this? "Blazing Chrome". It's out in October.

https://youtu.be/2CCpmhVIWIU

Personally I'm very excited for this game :)

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Apestrife on 30 June, 2018, 07:58:51 AM
Quote from: GrudgeJohnDeed on 26 June, 2018, 02:53:14 PM

Good that you mention it. What do you make of this? "Blazing Chrome". It's out in October.

https://youtu.be/2CCpmhVIWIU

Personally I'm very excited for this game :)

:O wow that looks fantastic, I hadn't heard of it before. The old Contra/Probotector vibes are exactly my kind of thing, some lovely pixel art too. I actually played Oniken by these guys years ago, looks like they've upped the ante massively since then! Roll on October!