Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly

Thanks for sharing that DDD, awesome stuff  :thumbsup:

TordelBack

Here's a question: has the meaning of 'objective' changed recently?  Over and over I get told, generally rudely,  that people's unpleasant opinions about films, comics, music, and by extension their creators' deficiencies,  are not just valid but objectively true.

Is it really possible to assert objectivity about art and entertainment, the value of which is surely in the eye of the consumer, and thus subjective? I understand the notion of valid criticism,  certainly you can make observations about technical issues or structural shortcomings from a position of expertise, but can you really claim objectivity about the value of art?

Funt Solo

That's a tricky one without a concrete example. There may be some aspect of a piece of art that one could apply an objective truth to (such as breaking the fourth wall, or drawing outside the panel boundaries), but whether you find it enjoyable or not could not be an objective truth because, as you say, there's another word for that - and it's subjective.

Citizen Kane was technically innovative at the time of its release: we can point to the objective truth of that in its use of deep focus and wipes. Whether you enjoy watching it is another matter.

Perhaps people are abusing "objective" in the same way that "literally" is often used these days to mean "metaphorically". Whenever that happens my head literally explodes, which is subjectively impossible. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tiplodocus

So when Prof Bear says a film is "objectively good" or "objectively bad" I normally assume he is being funny with the use of the term. But now I'm not so sure...

Nah, he's having a laugh.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 May, 2020, 04:53:56 PM
Isolation and the internet has led me to start listening to a favourite of my parents', Steeleye Span.

That's me digging out the vinyl and putting on Old Masters then :)

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 May, 2020, 10:30:20 AM
So when Prof Bear says a film is "objectively good" or "objectively bad" I normally assume he is being funny with the use of the term. But now I'm not so sure...

The Prof is obviously - objectively, even - the exception to all such considerations.  His observations have the status of FACT.  No-one could suffer through the kinds of media he consumes without his critical faculties being honed and purified in the white-hot flame of truth.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 22 May, 2020, 11:55:20 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 May, 2020, 04:53:56 PM
Isolation and the internet has led me to start listening to a favourite of my parents', Steeleye Span.

That's me digging out the vinyl and putting on Old Masters then :)

My brother and I used to have a right old laugh about the lameness of lyrics like 'all around my hat, I will wear a bright blue ribbon'.  Now I find myself getting chills to the mix of ethereal folk and snarling rock guitar in gems like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NrHkf7rB34

Also the one lyric that seems to unite all mutations of Black Jack Davy / Gypsy Davy / Raggle Taggle Gypsy / 7 Gypsies is the one about the runaway lady having boots made of 'Spanish leather'. They don't even share a tune or a title, but the origin of her footwear seems to be important.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

You know what we don't see enough of? Science fiction Folk music.

More Imagined Village

Woolly

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 May, 2020, 12:31:46 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 22 May, 2020, 10:30:20 AM

The Prof is obviously - objectively, even - the exception to all such considerations.  His observations have the status of FACT.  No-one could suffer through the kinds of media he consumes without his critical faculties being honed and purified in the white-hot flame of truth.

Does this mean I have to reappraise Batman & Robin?

JayzusB.Christ

After a gap of five years, I'm finally watching the second series of Gotham.  Five years ago, I wasn't too happy to see the [spoiler]Joker (if it is him) given a backstory[/spoiler], but now that sacred cow has been slain by [spoiler]Joaquin Phoenix[/spoiler], I have to say that Gotham guy is perfect for the role.  If they must keep making Batman films, I can think of worse people to be part of the franchise.  [spoiler]Jared Leto,[/spoiler] for example.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 May, 2020, 10:26:16 PM
After a gap of five years, I'm finally watching the second series of Gotham.  Five years ago, I wasn't too happy to see the [spoiler]Joker (if it is him) given a backstory[/spoiler], but now that sacred cow has been slain by [spoiler]Joaquin Phoenix[/spoiler], I have to say that Gotham guy is perfect for the role.  If they must keep making Batman films, I can think of worse people to be part of the franchise.  [spoiler]Jared Leto,[/spoiler] for example.

[spoiler]Oh. It's not him.[/spoiler]  :-[

von Boom

After weeks of isolation, I finally got some hair clippers and gave myself a haircut. What do you think of the results?

von Boom

Just because you're wearing a facemask it is not an excuse not to brush your teeth.  ::)

von Boom

JayzusB.Christ

I wonder if it's time the Trailers section of this board was put to rest.  Last time anyone posted there, Obama was still president.