Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Sparky, there isn't anything on that camera that shouldn't be there, is there?  Remember?  That's gone, right? You erased it?

In my own unpleasant experience it's the fecking mess and sense of vulnerability that's as bad as the material loss, so I probably shouldn't be making light.

House of Usher

Haven't been burgled since 1983, thank goodness. Fingers crossed our house looks pretty unasailable, being terraced with no rear access. The thing that annoys me most about burglary is the low profitability of the crime in relation to the damage and cost to the victims. Pretty desperate and despicable.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

I caught someone trying to break in here one night a couple of years ago .I couldnt see exactly who it was but i heard noise and investigated.The perpatrator fled the scene before i had a chance to accost him which was a shame as i was prepared to restrain and subdue him and inform the plod or just physically eject him off the premises as i take offence at someone trying to invade my space.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

vzzbux

The scumbag drug dealer who pinched the lead of my porch roof and who I chased off trying to break into my work van, seems to have disappeared from the area. I haven't noticed him skulking around for about a month now, he has either been banged up by plod or been made to disappear by one of the many people who he has pissed off.
Either way is sort of okay.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

House of Usher

I'm watching Red Dawn on Virgin +1. Incredible that it's taken me so long to catch up with this film. It's not because I've never wanted to see it. I'm enjoying it so much I already want to see it again.
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 September, 2009, 11:21:49 PM
I'm watching Red Dawn on Virgin +1. Incredible that it's taken me so long to catch up with this film. It's not because I've never wanted to see it. I'm enjoying it so much I already want to see it again.

You will soon, what with the planned remake in the pipeline!

House of Usher

The right-wing political propaganda drip-fed throughout the film was hilarious, especially the anti gun control message and how laboriously they spelled out that forcing people to register their guns would just make it easy for the Commies to round up all the gun owners.
STRIKE !!!

House of Usher

I have now been paid everything I was owed this summer. :)

The down side is I'm returning to work £2,000 overdrawn. And I don't get paid for 6 weeks.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 06 September, 2009, 11:19:33 AM
The right-wing political propaganda drip-fed throughout the film was hilarious, especially the anti gun control message and how laboriously they spelled out that forcing people to register their guns would just make it easy for the Commies to round up all the gun owners.

I watched Red Dawn on youtube the other night and it was attrocious simply because it was badly directed and cheaply done and horribly dated.It was laughable and ludicrous in places especially the action scenes.

I like the politics of it or the idea of an armed militia being able to defeat an invading superpower .

House of Usher

Quote from: PeterWolf on 10 September, 2009, 06:47:28 PM
I watched Red Dawn on youtube the other night and it was attrocious simply because it was badly directed and cheaply done and horribly dated.

And yet, it wasn't actually as cheap-looking as I had prepared myself for in all the years of anticipation!

It was laughable and ludicrous in places especially the action scenes.

Indeed. Like when the invaders are shooting everyone at the school on sight and the protagonists escape by... running past them! There's even a scene where an enemy soldier appears to be blocking their way one moment, and through the magic of the continuity glitch, he's not there when the edit cuts back.

I like the politics of it or the idea of an armed militia being able to defeat an invading superpower.

Yes, you've got to admire the film-makers' brass neck. The untrained rebels in Red Dawn are even mightier than Bill Savage's crew. Properly trained soldiers and even special forces are no match for fugitive high school kids. The ludricousness of it is Red Dawn's Unique Selling Point.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 10 September, 2009, 07:54:58 PM
I watched Red Dawn on youtube the other night and it was attrocious simply because it was badly directed and cheaply done and horribly dated.

And yet, it wasn't actually as cheap-looking as I had prepared myself for in all the years of anticipation!

It was laughable and ludicrous in places especially the action scenes.

Indeed. Like when the invaders are shooting everyone at the school on sight and the protagonists escape by... running past them! There's even a scene where an enemy soldier appears to be blocking their way one moment, and through the magic of the continuity glitch, he's not there when the edit cuts back.

I like the politics of it or the idea of an armed militia being able to defeat an invading superpower.

Yes, you've got to admire the film-makers' brass neck. The untrained rebels in Red Dawn are even mightier than Bill Savage's crew. Properly trained soldiers and even special forces are no match for fugitive high school kids. The ludricousness of it is Red Dawn's Unique Selling Point.

That aspect of it is ludicrous because it just focusses on the kids but in a real world scenario a well trained militia in a place the size of the US that has plenty of cover would eventually grind down an invading military force as it would be an inevitable conclusion.Look at Iraq and Afghanistan as recent examples.

This seems to be the point that the filmaker was trying to get across yet in my opinion the filmaker made the whole scenario look ridiculous because it just focussed on the kids and very little else.

What about the subtitled dialogue then ?   ;D

I just cant tell wether the director of the film was taking it seriously or not but its a poorly made propaganda piece that was ignoring the fact that the USSR was going into a decline at that point in time anyway.Still it probably helped the Reagan administration win another term of office.

It was adapted from a screenplay called Ten Soldiers which had a Lord of The Flies type theme.

Paul faplad Finch

Red Dawn saw me accused of plagiarism in year 7 of school. Yes, I was 11 and I was being accused of plagiarism. I didn't even know what the word meant. I'd written a story called, wait for it, The Schoolboy Squad for English class in which my classmates and I went into hiding and fought a guerilla war against a joint German/Japanese invasion which saw troops parachuting into our school. I even had one of the maths teachers (of Korean descent) being a spy for the invaders.

My teacher made it abundantly clear that a) it was completely unnacceptable to copy the plots of films and b)that I shuldn't be watching that kind of film anyway.

I promptly went home and asked my Uncle, fount of all obscure film knowledge and he gave me a copy. I loved it. (Again, I was 11) That video promptly did the rounds of my entire class. That teacher never did believe taht I'd not seen the movie first.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Roger Godpleton

My mum put my sister's end of school yearbook thingy between Will Eisner and Jaime Hernandez on the communal bookshelves.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Roger Godpleton

1. Now that the entire original line-up of the Sugababes has been replaced my generation finally has its own equivalent to The Fall.

2. I saw a discarded bicycle that had been thrown on a roof.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Tiplodocus

One of my mates was married to MARK E SMITH.*

oooh the stories she can tell.

* No, before you ask, it wasn't Brixie.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!