Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Brilliantly, it was his idea. Very important that the dial works, and the house has resounded this morning to the sound of 'Bok! Bok! Bok!'. Youngest went as a death eater. I half heatrtedly suggested fink, but he wasnt having it...

SBT

TordelBack

Any guesses as to when you will receive the 'your son's dial is stuck on 4 1/2, please come and collect him' call?   :D

Gonk

Another 3 weeks and it's the start of spring. ;)
coming at a cinema near you soon

Spikes

I have a day off from work tomorrow, and ill use some of that free time to pick up a little something off E-Bay which is waiting for me at the post office. Nice.

TordelBack

The missus found a small cache of Peroni on sale and brought it home to me!  The very first sip and I was back in the blessedly cool basement of the Mergellina hostel in Naples in 1997, where they sold a cold half-litre bottle and a plate of spaghetti pomadoro for 1,500 lira (which wasn't much even then, about a pound I think).  I could hear the incessant honking of the horns and feel the throbbing of my feet, and savour the exhausted satisfaction of a day tramping about the slopes of Vesuvius. Taste and memory (and beer), you can't beat it.

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2012, 01:11:27 PM
The missus found a small cache of Peroni on sale and brought it home to me!  The very first sip and I was back in the blessedly cool basement of the Mergellina hostel in Naples in 1997, where they sold a cold half-litre bottle and a plate of spaghetti pomadoro for 1,500 lira (which wasn't much even then, about a pound I think).  I could hear the incessant honking of the horns and feel the throbbing of my feet, and savour the exhausted satisfaction of a day tramping about the slopes of Vesuvius. Taste and memory (and beer), you can't beat it.

I'd have avoided Vesuvius and gone straight to the bar. Sometimes I feel so terribly sorry for people who aren't Scottish.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

I trust the white-hot wit of your race keeps you warm during your endless winter, which as I understand it is broken only by annual feeding time for the midges.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2012, 01:11:27 PM

This almost brought a lump to my throat, beautiful!

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 March, 2012, 04:13:13 PM
I trust the white-hot wit of your race keeps you warm during your endless winter, which as I understand it is broken only by annual feeding time for the midges.

Your mum.  :D

Gonk

::) That and whisky. WTF is a "small cache of Peroni" when it's at home?  :lol:

TordelBack

Italian beer.  It's nothing special taste-wise, but it is quite distinctive and as I've only ever drunk it in Italy before it has pleasant nostalgic associations.  See also:  Mythos and Greece. 

They were flogging a dozen bottles of it for €10, which my wife happily identified as a bargain, and thus the first alcohol we've bought this year. 

Boring story, but you did ask.

COMMANDO FORCES

I went with Sam up to PC World this afternoon and was in the queue to buy something when the following happened.

There were about seven bods in the queue and three bods on the tills. One till bod finished his sale and then buggered off. Okay, no probs, I'm next in line so I can live with that. Before I managed to get to the next till when that was available, some fucker had pushed in but Sam had distracted me, so he was already mid sale, bollocks!

When the sale was finished the till bod just wandered off and he had to walk past me. I said to him that there was a massive queue here and now there is only one person on the tills. He just said'she'll serve you!' and pissed off.

Once I got to the till, I immediately asked for the store manager and while my item was being put through I waited for him to come to see me.

We had a little talk about his ignorant sales bod, the economy, mystery shoppers and internet sales over shop sales. He said he would have words with his assistant in a minute. I replied that I want to witness his reprimand, otherwise I have a feeling nothing would happen. Lets just say I really enjoyed watching the little shit squirm when he was called back to the tills.

I'm an equal hater of bad service in both the private and public sector.

Gonk

Hey CF, I'm glad you won that one, but be careful about complaining too much as you might find yourself turning into Victor Meldrew.

I've only ever been in PC World the once and that was enough to put me off.

COMMANDO FORCES

If you don't complain about crap service then nothing will ever get done! Remember I let the first assistant walk away and a person push in front before my dander was up  >:D

By the way, when I was in Barcelona I noticed that PC World is called PC City  :o