Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

The missus and I went to see Fair Game last night. Compelling fact based political thriller with some excellent performances from Sean Penn and Naomi Watts.
Well worth a watch.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Buddy

The Happening. Channel 4 last night.

Utter, utter pish.

Richmond Clements

Slumdog Millionaire- it really is very very good.

Albion

Despicable Me. Also very good
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

SmallBlueThing

The Happening, on ch4. Have seen this already, but couldnt be arsed to turn over. Terrible nonsense from the briefly mighty Mid.Night Shaggerman, featuring a blissfully panicked Marky Mark who visibly cannot believe what he's signed up for and so has no idea how to pitch his performance.
That said, i find the movie hugely enjoyable, as it's basically a seventies BBC serial writ large, and like the seventies BBC day of the triffids/ nightmare man, is now hilarious. Sadly, this one never had its moment in the sun, never was at the cutting edge of adult sf, and has always been stilted and laughable.
But i watched it all the way through and no doubt i'll watch it again some time.
SBT

Buddy

I watched The Happening all the way through... mainly because I couldn't actually believe what I was watching and just wanted to see how bad it got.

I'll not be watching it again.

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 20 March, 2011, 12:07:43 PM
I watched The Happening all the way through... mainly because I couldn't actually believe what I was watching and just wanted to see how bad it got.

That was my experience the first time too. "I'm talking to a plastic plant!", "I'm still doing it!". It's shockingly bad, no question.

However...

Quote from: Buddy (previusly Uncle Umpty) on 20 March, 2011, 12:07:43 PM

I'll not be watching it again.

Inevitably, you will. Sometime it will be on again. Time will have elapsed. Surely it can't have been quite as awful as you remember? It's M Night Shyalaman for goodness sakes- didn't I watch The Sixth Sense the other week, and wasn't that quite good? Isn't it about a myseterious "terrorist attack" that turns out to be something far more environmentally sinister? Vague images of wind rippling eerily through fields of corn will spring to mind, people walking backwards, spouting nonsense, jumping off buildings, The End of The World... "Oh, I'll just give it ten minutes", you'll think.

SBT

Professor Bear

To be fair to the Happening, the writer of Outcasts clearly thought it was worth stealing from.

Invaders From Mars - the Tobe Hooper version from 1986, which I watched based entirely upon its reputation as a horrid, horrid piece of cinema, which is pretty much a red rag to a bull as far as I'm concerned.  I thought "how bad can it be?" and for a while it was okay, if not quite managing the air of surreality needed for a film where ultimate danger exists OVER THE HILL OUTSIDE TIMMY'S WINDOW but then it just goes fucking mental and stuff just seems to happen and the invaders are revealed to be one of the baddies from the videogame Doom and some leftover Muppets from Dark Crystal - though never more than the same two Muppets onscreen at any one time.  In the latter portion of the film it actually seems like no-one even bothers to act except the General, who plays things strictly panto-level, and the relationship between the little kid and the school nurse is just bizarre, like the kid was originally written as an adult and one point it even looks like he and the nurse are going to make out.  I can't shake the notion that it was deliberately made to be awful to emulate B-movies, but that doesn't help it any as the end result is still a bad film - a straight-up fucking terrible film.

Van Dom

I watched The Happening as well last night and was very non-plussed by it. I'd hard all about it but wanted to see for myself if it was as bad as it was made out to be. It was. I dont get how anyone thought this would make for a rivetting movie experience. Thank God I didn't shell out to see this in the cinema. And yeah, I was waiting for the big, trademark Shyamalan twist at the end (who doesn't when watching one of his films, as unfortunate as that is for the poor guy) and there was nothing. It was such a limp film.

Also watched Land of the Lost which was also pretty poor, sadly. I recently stated how much I love Will Ferrel and that his presence in a movie usually guarantees I'll be happy. Not in this case. It looked fab and everything but was a very weakly scripted affair. The kids (8 and 4) thought it was hilarious though (cos of all the childish potty humour) and they love dinosaurs so they enjoyed it. For me though, it was a rare Will Ferrel movie that didnt put a smile on my face.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

The Legendary Shark

"Death Race" on 5.

What a load of rubbish! But glorious rubbish. I didn't expect to finish it, but I did. All that iron and all those guns would weigh so much that the cars would be lucky to get to 16mph and would handle like rhinos on roller skates. Still, you don't watch films like that for their engineering accuracy, do you?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Keef Monkey

I was really disappointed with Death Race, went to the cinema excited about seeing some cars smush into each other and twirl across the screen, but it was all shot super close-up with so many edits you didn't get a chance to enjoy the smushing when it did happen!

We watched Daybreakers last night. I'd seen Undead and thought the guys had potential to do a Peter Jackson and become Hollywood darlings, and someone else must have thought so too because this looks like it cost a fair bit of money. I think they did a good job, it was a more interesting take on the vampire thing than I'd seen for a long time. Just an example of a good glossy popcorn flick really, I thought on several occasions that it was a bit like what Ultraviolet would have been like if Ultraviolet hadn't been utterly abominable.

Van Dom

Death Race was alright - Death Race 2 (which is a prequel about Frankenstein) was great though. It was only a TV movie but you'd never know by looking at it. I enjoyed it a lot more than the first one (by which I mean the remake not the original Stallone one).
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Michaelvk

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 March, 2011, 01:34:32 AM
"Death Race" on 5.

What a load of rubbish! But glorious rubbish. I didn't expect to finish it, but I did. All that iron and all those guns would weigh so much that the cars would be lucky to get to 16mph and would handle like rhinos on roller skates. Still, you don't watch films like that for their engineering accuracy, do you?

"5 inches of solid steel armour.." TONGGG TONGGG TONGGG.. Priceless..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

SmallBlueThing

Kill Bill, vols 1 and 2, with my wife this afternoon. Finally managed to convince her to watch after literally years of trying- and she really enjoyed them. Her natural revulsion to anything connected to Quentin Tarantino softened somewhat by him not actually being in these at all.

I share her horror and hatred of the man, and these are the only two I can stand- please don't tell me the others are great, I've seen Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction and loathed them, and have no interest in the others. But I caught KB1 on BBC THREE one night and was really impressed, went out and bought them both for a pound each, and they've sat on the shelf ever since.

I know all the best bits are lifted from elsewhere, but I'm not that into the kinds of movies the pilfering is from, so this kind of 'glossy best of' works well for me. The swordfight in the snow at the end of Vol One is a masterpiece of set design, lighting and choreography; utterly beautiful, and the clincher when it came to me actually parting with cash for them. Nothing in Vol Two is independently quite as good, but on the whole it's the stronger film, with the eyeball snatching and Chinese training sequences particularly noteworthy.

More importantly, I can't believe I've actually watched two discs from our 'to watch' pile! If this carries on, I may have gotten around to Moon, Predator, Predator II and Candyman before Xmas!

SBT

Robin Low

Saw Despicable Me on Saturday night and rather enjoyed it.

On Sunday I watched The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp for the first time, and it's a rather good film. Not at all what I expected it to be about - only partly about war (and not really anti-war or anti-military), but more concerned with growing old, regret, change, and the passing of time.

Regards

Robin