Main Menu

Phoenix comic

Started by AlexF, 14 April, 2011, 01:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 May, 2020, 07:44:36 PM
Looks like they've cut back a little on comic strip content (at least this issue), but it's still a really solid mag. Frankly, anyone that adapts The Call of Cthulhu for kids — and puts Lovecraftian horror on the cover is OK by me.

There's been interesting changes to how they are producing story of late. The one I like least is they've started to recycle interior art for the covers, which is a bit disappointing - but I guess they have to make savings. The stories are getting longer, but with bigger panels like they are now designed more for the reduced trade size.

I'm glad the current Looshkin run is back to the typical wonderfully dense format, rather than the wider more spacious tractor story a wee while ago.

I'm cool with all that if it helps them stick around, just a shame they have to (assuming they do?)

IndigoPrime

I've noticed a lot of those 'flow chart' games creeping in. They're... not great. The spreads of informative and educational stuff (Dinos! Rockets!) were much better — but probably quite expensive. But, yeah, whatever's needed to keep them going, really. (It'd be interesting to know how much they've been affected — probably less than many, given the subs-first approach of that publication.)

Funt Solo

Mini-Solo really enjoys the flow charts. I've not been paying much attention to the content - although I'm roped in often to do Gorebrah read-alouds.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

I still get to read it aloud to the boy. The girl reads it herself still. One of the great joys of parenthood. My Gorebah voice is a kinda faux Arnie Conan.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Funt Solo on 14 May, 2020, 08:14:58 PMroped in
I guess that at least means you don't have to sneak a read yourself later.

pauljholden

We just got a delivery of about four issues, all held at the post office because here (Belfast) they're prioritising parcel delivery over letters. No the fault of the Phoenix, but it sure is annoying.

Colin YNWA

Bloody hell - we now have Wednesday Phoenix - this is getting silly!

IndigoPrime

Not here! But then I'm not too fussed — and mini-G was into reading a million Beanos today instead anyway.

My favourite bit about The Phoenix of late: when mini-G was deep in reading, and she looked up and told me she was just "re-reading the one about that writer". So, yeah, the 5yo was checking out a comic strip about Tolstoy. In the issue this week, they're doing War and Peace in Corpse Talk. Don't ever change, Phoenix.

Colin YNWA

Yeah it might all be a bit middle class but its still a wonder!

Colin YNWA

GODDAMNIT!

I'm about 60 issues off getting the boy a complete set... yes, yes it is for the boy not me - and I finally broken and decided to go for a bundle I'd seen on eBay which would have completed the set but left me with a LOAD of duplicate. I finally buckled thinking I'd be able to sell the majority of the dups at a decent price and hassle aside make my money back... probably.

Contact the seller to check postage (as per the listing as it was a BIG lot) and their son - who she was selling them for, has decided to keep them now and she's withdrawn the lot.

Now given it took me about 4 days to break and decide to go for this you might thing it was almost a relief BUT now having been in touching distance of a complete set I find I'm gutted... gutted... the quest goes on...

IndigoPrime

Argh @ eBayer. We're looking at mini-IP's shelves right now and thinking "yikes" about the future of weekly Beano and Phoenix. But she reads them and re-reads them, and so that's good. She's currently grumbling about the lack of Squid Bits in the comic, mind, and Legacy (which she used to skip but now at nearly 6 has decided she likes). I barely get a look in these days, mind.

Colin YNWA

Yeah the boy misses Squid Bits and wants it back. He's still Jamie Smart obsessed, but getting really into Trailblazers, which is good as I see that as my gateway drug to Star Wars comics and then...

He's 8 now.

Colin YNWA

Anyone got the latest Phoenix?Jamie Smarts' second strip in it Flember (well I think its called Dev something or other but its based on the book Flember - anyway I'm way off track) was colours by one Darren Stephens and judging by their very vibrant tones I'm pretty damned sure its Darren from this here Board.

If so AMAZING job Darren, working with Jamie Smart must be a massive thrill!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 July, 2020, 05:18:44 PM
Anyone got the latest Phoenix?Jamie Smarts' second strip in it Flember (well I think its called Dev something or other but its based on the book Flember - anyway I'm way off track) was colours by one Darren Stephens and judging by their very vibrant tones I'm pretty damned sure its Darren from this here Board.

It is!
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Cool to have it confirmed. Well done him!