Main Menu

Batman : Arkham Asylum

Started by bluemeanie, 29 June, 2009, 11:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

The good news - PC demo is out. I've downloaded, installed... and its waiting for when I get home tonight

the bad news.... yesterday they announced the PC version of this is going back ANOTHER MONTH!!   >:(

http://play.tm/news/26032/batman-arkham-asylum-delayed-on-pc/

Yeah, I know long term it means I get a better game to replay over and over again. Short term though I am one pissed off welsh bloke. This was a day of release game for me, now I'm gonna miss the initial buzz when it comes out and everyone is talking about how good it (hopefully) is.

Pete Wells

Played through this (very) short demo a couple of times now and I have to say, it's lovely! As we've all seen from the promotional stuff, the graphics are wonderful and the atmosphere is great.

It starts off a little generic beat 'em up, really reminding me of the Watchmen game, especially as the settings were fairly similar. However, the second part of the demo is like a delicious game of cat and mouse with you picking off terrified crims at will, in a variety of spectacular ways (inverse takedown is my particular fave.)

Really looking forward to the full game now!

Professor Bear

Decent enough demo, but still too many buttons in use.  I suggest the following:

Dr Feeley Good

Just finished the demo on Ps3,really enjoyed it....really looking forward to it ! By the way has anyone seen any reviews of the forthcoming Wolfenstien game.

Roger Godpleton

Liked the demo a lot, although it does feel a bit too "automated". It's definitely not a lazy procession of QTEs but it could get into a rinse repeat formula. Reckon the boss fights could make or break the game.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

bluemeanie

Played it on the pc....

I had very high expectations, they've been met. Absolutely loved it.

radiator

Thought it was quite good. A bit repetitive maybe, and I'm finding the steroidal, Macfarlane-esque art direction really quite ugly and unappealing - I'd much rather they'd have gone for something fresher and more expressive - like the wonderful 90's cartoon series. The combat feels very 'Zach Snyder' which could wear thin pretty quick.

Still a lot better than usual licensed fare, though.

Odd that this game has been made, but there's still no Dark Knight game.

GordonR

The Dark Knight game got canned, for reasons never known.  Its existence wasn't even confirmed until Gary Oldman mentioned that he had recorded dialogue for it.

radiator

Oh yeah, something to do with the demise(?) of Pandemic(?) wasn't it?

Goaty

Oh that demo was good...

the combat system looks bit like Prince of Persia Sands of Time

glad they used the grabber from Batman cartoon...

and sorry but how hot is Harley Quinn in it!

Pete Wells

I take it most people got that Riddler trophy in the orangey vent right at the start of the demo and the one in the Zzazz bit. I noticed a couple of orangey vents suspended in the ceilings, anyone know of we can break into those?

Something Fishy

Great demo, will be getting this one.

bluemeanie

Yeah, I got the Riddler trophies. Have you all checked out the Joker audio tapes on his stats page as well?

Couple of cool things I noticed:

1 - the cape move. Middle mouse click on the pc.Uses the tip of his cape to blind enemies. Very cool.

2 - When the Joker is doing the speech on the monitor at the start I threw a batarang at it. Shattered the screen but it still kept playing, although fragmented. Thats a nice graphical touch and shows the levels of detail they are putting in.

3 - Upsideown takedown of bad guy. Swing across room. Wait till other thugs underneath. Cut rope with batarang. 2 for 1.

4 - Ramping up the fear. When you are in the last big room taking out the guys there, mess around with the last one for a while. He totally loses his shit and starts firing randomly and panicking. The whole intimidation thing was a large factor in my love for the Batman Begins game. They've taken it to another level here.

And if you think Harley was hot... have you seen Ivy??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyk99LlWOig

TordelBack

Gawd. I wouldn't eat the zucchinis in that greenhouse.

Noisybast

Bah! Can't download it, 'cos my XBox gold account just expired.
I even tried to cash in the 48-hour gold trial that came with Fable 2, but it says the code is invalid.

Mumblegrumblesassenfrassenrassen...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!