Main Menu

Zarjaz Issue 0 Out Now! (HYPE)

Started by peepsbutlerdroid, 19 June, 2005, 03:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peepsbutlerdroid

For anyone who didn't catch it at Bristol this year the preview issue of the new Zarjaz fanzine is available now. It features four all-new strips and is yours for the paltry sum of ?2.00 (including p&p). For payment details please e-mail zarjazcomic@yahoo.co.uk
Also we are still looking for writers and artists so please get in touch at the above address if you are interested.

Link: Zarjaz Blog

Bolt-01

That link fixed (hopefully)

Link: http://www.zarjaz.blogspot.com" target="_blank">Zarjaz Blog proper!

Bolt-01

Anyway, Zarjaz 0 is a fine mini-comic, and deserves to be picked up.

Roll on issue 1, or should that be 5?

Bolt-01

Bolt-01

Actually My only gripe about it worth mentioning is the running order of the strips. You should have run the Hershey strip second, that would have allowed you to run the Uranium City Judge strip over the place where the centrespread would have gotten the best use.

Bolt-01

paulvonscott

It's a slight issue, and intended to revive the comic, hence the issue #0, but has some nice strips in, and seems to be of a very high quality.

Byron Virgo

Some great artists working on that too - I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if these were 'big' names of the future.

peepsbutlerdroid

Bolt-01,
Aaah, you got me. I was weighing the technical merits of having the spread on the 'staple pages' against the fact that I felt having Hershy straight after Anderson unbalanced the collection. (Three judge strips in a row and then Kreelman at the end). I thought I could get away with not having the spread in the centre but in hindsight I probably made the wrong decision. I hope it didn't impair anyones enjoyment of the excellent Uranium City - Judge Hunter strip.

Bolt-01

Nah, it's a good strip and the spread came out quite well. I can see your reasons for what you did, and the balance of the book was well judged.

Centrespreads can be a pain to get right though.

Bolt-01

Dudley

Second Uranium Judge City script is nearly completed - hope Shane01 can do just as excellent a job with the art on that one!

House of Usher

I can see Bolt's point about the centre spread and the text that disappears into the fold, but I did enjoy the impact of the Kreelman strip where it was.

I can't help thinking there must be a punchier title out there than 'Uranium City Judge'.
STRIKE !!!

Dudley

Go on then -

Lead character - Judge-Hunter Jose Quaalude

Setting - Icy wastes of the extreme North, around Uranium City.

Dynamic - regular EMP bursts across the Arctic render technology pretty useless.  
"Judge-Hunters"  - recruited from the local Inuit population and mostly using hunting skills thousands of years old, are the only face of the law in the areas beyond Uranium City limits.

Next story's going to take the lead character into Uranium City itself.  I'll use a really good title idea as I wasn't happy with Uranium city Judge but couldn't think of anything better.

Tiplodocus

How about something like:
THIRTY SEVEN WORDS FOR SNOW
or whatever the number is meant to be.

You should definitely avoid all of the following:
COLD JUSTICE
FIRE AND ICE
FREEZE, IN THE NAME OF THE LAW.

Well, maybe not the last one.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dudley

Ah, but I fall quite strongly into the "anti" camp when it comes to the Whorf-Sapir hypothesis, and all the recent evidence if that the Inuit have about the same number of words for snow as English does (indeed, according to the article linked below, they seem to have less).

I'm ashamed to admit that I had already considered FROZEN JUSTICE and JUSTICE SERVED COLD.  Luckily I realised that they were rubbish.

Link: http://www.princeton.edu/~browning/snow.html" target="_blank">Not that many words for snow

Tiplodocus

I was aware that it was a pub fact. I thought you could play on the fact that it's a myth about them having loads of different words for snow - sort of thing tourists and people who don't understand the region always ask.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!