Main Menu

Shopping in the States

Started by WoD, 14 August, 2008, 07:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoD

I'm making a trip shortly and was wondering if it is possible to pick up a bargain to get the Christmas shopping started, but I'm confused on compatibility on some things...so...

DS and PSP games - I think they are region free, anyone confirm?

Wii, 360, PS3 - all region coded I think.

MP3 players (like ipod touch) are they region coded?

Anything else to be wary of?

I've bought toys in the past for the family as they can be a bit of a bargain on occasion.

Guide me Oh Great Hive mind

worldshown

According to Wiki's PAL region guide, all Nintendo handhelds and the PS3 are region free. Most PSP games are region free but Sony leaves it up to the publisher. Most 360 games are region locked, but again Microsoft leaves it up to the publisher. All Nintendo Wii games are locked out though.

WoD

Dan Kelly

Chargers are all going to be different pins and voltages

(US iPhone 3G charger is diddy compared to our brick)

WoD

Are clothes the bargain that people used to say?  I could do with trainers...might be worth a look I guess.

Proudhuff

Clothes are a must, I never believe all i was told the first trip, sencond trip empty bages going, stuffef coming back!
DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

US DS consoles will work fine with Euro adapters. Same goes for most portable Apple kit (laptops, iPods). Clothes and trainers can be cheap, but shop around. Note also that Sterling is getting smacked hard on the exchange, so you might want to consider buying some US Dollars now. It was $2/£1 a couple of weeks back. Now Sterling's at $1.85.

the shutdown man

Regarding clothes, if you can find an outlet mall you'll find good bargains there. It's just a mall where the brand names run their own shops, but at lower prices then you get in department stores. I'm not usually a fan of brand name clothes, but I got a pair of Converse classics for $40 over there in July, so you can't go too far wrong.

Furthermore, if you happen to find a shop called Ross, give it a go. It's basically an American TK Maxx, and it's pot luck whether you'll find anything or not, but I got some great stuff in there really cheap.
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

critter

If you get near a Wal-Mart, go in. Cheaper than most places.

critter

IndigoPrime

Quote from: "critter"If you get near a Wal-Mart, go in. Cheaper than most places.
*brrrr* Wal-Mart is basically like venturing into a humongous Asda, with slightly less charm. Of the giant stores—at least in Florida—(Super) Target was the least loathsome. War-Mart was, at best, depressing.