Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Wells

Well, me and the missus sat and watched Toy Story 3 last night and it was great. What a perfect ending to the franchise, Mrs Pete blubbed like a baby for the last five mins.

The scene in the incinerator when they all accepted their fates then held hands had my heart pounding! Masterful stuff!

Albion

X-Men: First Class for me too.

Professah Byah makes some good points about this in his post but hey, it's a movie based on comics and I enjoyed it.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

radiator

QuoteWell, me and the missus sat and watched Toy Story 3 last night and it was great. What a perfect ending to the franchise, Mrs Pete blubbed like a baby for the last five mins.

The scene in the incinerator when they all accepted their fates then held hands had my heart pounding! Masterful stuff!

Yep - pretty much a perfect movie imo. My girlfriend got me the Toy Story trilogy Blu Ray box set for Christmas last year - just an amazing set of films, and they all look arsom in HD.

We watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off last night - still a smash!

Buddy

Kung Fu Panda 2.

Very enjoyable.

Keef Monkey

X-Men First Class. Really good, and probably my favorite of the X-Men films (certainly much much better than the last couple).

radiator

X Men: First Class for me too. Overall really enjoyed, with a few caveats. I thought the film was a little too long, there were slight problems with pacing (too much plot crammed into the running time at the expense of character development), a dodgy cut here and there, and I thought a lot of the sfx shots were pretty cheap and naff-looking - evidence of the rushed production?

It also suffers from the usual problems of being a prequel - there's something a bit mechanical and contrived about things being 'set up' for the existing movies - reminded me of Revenge of the Sith a little in this regard. I'd agree with other comments that the film doesn't make enough use of it's period setting - was expecting it to be a lot more stylised and evocative of that era. It felt a bit half-hearted, like they didn't want to alienate the audience. They could at least have had an authentic 1960s soundtrack rather than the likes of Take That and Gnarls Barkley!

Finally, I didn't really like how, once again, Mystique is center stage - a rather marginal character in the comics from what I gather. She is a completely different character from how she is portrayed in the other films, and loses some of her 'mystique' as a result.

Still, hugely enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours. Fassbender - dodgy accent aside - is superb. His Magneto is a total badass. Rest of the cast also very good indeed - obviously the casting director is a big fan of 80s movies - not only Kevin Bacon and Oliver Platt, but Michael Ironside too! Haven't seen him in anything in years! Bonus points for that.

Here's hoping this one does well enough to warrant a sequel, and it's a completely bonkers silver-age lycra camp-fest, [spoiler]as seems to be hinted at with the glimpse of fully caped-up Magneto at the end[/spoiler]. Vaughn has said they want to do a trilogy, and have the second film kick off with [spoiler]Magneto guiding the bullet that kills JFK.[/spoiler]

Out of Prof Byah's nitpicks, the only one that is genuinely valid is the one about Xavier's moral superioty - though tbh it's not something that really occurred to me as I watched the film.

It's a fair point, and to an extent they are relying on the audiences' prior knowledge of the character to trust what he says.

As for this:

Quote"hang on now, we saw magneto kill two Nazis by crushing their tin hats when he was 8 years old and didn't know how his powers worked, but an hour later as a grown adult he doesn't know how to kill someone who is wearing a metal helmet that covers all of his head?"

[spoiler]Shaw is pretty much invincible - it was pretty clear to me that Magneto is only able to kill him very slowly - using the coin - so that Shaw is not able to absorb the attack. I doubt crushing his helmet - even if he'd had the time and opportunity - would have done the trick.[/spoiler]

mygrimmbrother

The Breakfast Club - Judd Nelson is f*@king harsh man, Molly Ringwald pouts, Estevez power-dances around the library, Anthony Michael Hall needs looking after and Ally Sheedy is just plain adorable (until the makeover). Still a classic.

Michaelvk

Saw X-men first class and Hangover II over the weekend. X-men was cracking and did a pretty good job of redeeming the franchise after the abhor-rations that were the second two.. Hangover II wasn't as good as the first one, no surprise there, but there is an extremely, extreeeemely wrong moment about halfway through.. Toe curlingly wrong..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

SuperSurfer

Few days ago I watched the Big Lebowski on a flight back from New York. I tried watching it on the flight from the UK but nodded off so I watched it from the beginning on the way back. I didn't know a thing about that film – I think one of you guys recommended it. Fantastic. Totally nuts of course. It cracked me up many times. Surprised to read it had mixed reviews when it was released.

Zarjazzer

Rambo 4 and Soldier I flipped between them and realised they were in fact the same movie. Utter tosh yet I guffawed  anyway at the more and more inventive and horrible deaths of the "baddies" versus the psycho/supersoldier "goodie" saving da community.

At least Soldier had a nuke in it aka Aliens. The lead "actors" (I use the term loosely) Sly Stallone and Kurt Russell were completely interchangeable. One was at least pretending to a sociopath. But I just couldn't ya which.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Hoagy

Misery again. What a movie. Little did I know about Spinal Tap man, Rob Reiner producing and directing it. I still think the search in the snow by the ancient sleuths in that film was ripped by the Coens in Fargo.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Professor Bear

Quote from: radiator on 06 June, 2011, 11:36:12 AM
Out of Prof Byah's nitpicks, the only one that is genuinely valid is the one about Xavier's moral superioty.

That's not really a nitpick as much as it is a failing of the script to realise that the film is essentially the story of an old-money white protestant conservative telling a jewish death camp survivor to get over it.

A nitpick would be pointing out that the film establishes very firmly within it's own internal logic that falling from a couple of dozen feet will kill you dead (in the attack on CIA headquarters) - then later three characters fall several hundred feet through the air onto solid ground with no ill effects.

radiator

QuoteThat's not really a nitpick as much as it is a failing of the script to realise that the film is essentially the story of an old-money white protestant conservative telling a jewish death camp survivor to get over it.

You can make pretty much any film's story sound dodgy if you spin it a certain way. What's that one about Batman? 'Millionaire playboy gets his kicks by assaulting the disadvantaged and the mentally ill'...

QuoteA nitpick would be pointing out that the film establishes very firmly within it's own internal logic that falling from a couple of dozen feet will kill you dead (in the attack on CIA headquarters) - then later three characters fall several hundred feet through the air onto solid ground with no ill effects.

But the scene with the [spoiler]attack on the CIA compound demonstrates that Azazel can survive a fall if he teleports in time... Unless you're referring to Angel, Havok and Banshee, in which case the fall isn't hundreds of feet from what I recall - and they land on sand rather than concrete.[/spoiler]

Michaelvk

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 06 June, 2011, 01:01:02 PM
Few days ago I watched the Big Lebowski on a flight back from New York. I tried watching it on the flight from the UK but nodded off so I watched it from the beginning on the way back. I didn't know a thing about that film – I think one of you guys recommended it. Fantastic. Totally nuts of course. It cracked me up many times. Surprised to read it had mixed reviews when it was released.

I watched it for the first time a week ago.. Couldn't understand what the fuss was all about..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Zarjazzer on 06 June, 2011, 01:10:02 PM
Rambo 4 and Soldier I flipped between them and realised they were in fact the same movie. Utter tosh yet I guffawed  anyway at the more and more inventive and horrible deaths of the "baddies" versus the psycho/supersoldier "goodie" saving da community.

At least Soldier had a nuke in it aka Aliens. The lead "actors" (I use the term loosely) Sly Stallone and Kurt Russell were completely interchangeable. One was at least pretending to a sociopath. But I just couldn't ya which.

Caught bits of Soldier last night, there were a couple of references that sounded familiar (the Tannhauser Gate being one) so I gave it a wiki, and learned it was apparently written and intended as a spin-off from Blade Runner. The soldiers are essentially supposed to be the replicants, keeping the peace on the off world colonies. Didn't watch the whole thing so don't know if that angle was done away with, but it looked like fun in a cheddar sort of way.