Main Menu

Got Wii?

Started by The Amstor Computer, 09 December, 2006, 01:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Excellent!   Now you can bond by playing with your Wii!  I must say, this is the most fun I've ever had with a console I didn't owned.  Actually scratch that, I used to enjoy slagging a friend's Oric.  Snigger.

dweezil2

So what's the deal here? And yes, I am being thick. Do I need a wireless router or a LAN adapter to go online with the Wii?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Banners

:: So what's the deal here? And yes, I am being thick. Do I need a wireless router or a LAN adapter to go online with the Wii?

If you have a wireless router, it should detect it and connect fine. I don't rememeber what happened precisely, but it should prompt you for your access point as it goes through the initial setup process. Once connected, the Wii will download the latest firmware updates.

When online you can exchange Miis and messages to buddies, and download VC games. News, weather the Opera browser and - thankfully - online games are due in early 2007.

If your wireless router isn't working, you may have to get a USB/LAN adaptor, which isn't available yet...

M@

Link: http://wiiportal.nintendo-europe.com/11.html" target="_blank">Wii LAN Adpator (Bottom of Page)

Satanist

Hi All,
Mines wrapped up until xmas and I hardly touched it (didnt want to ruin the fun) so have a wee question.

When you get a retro game does it download onto memory (internal or card) or do you have to be connected webwise to play it?

I ask cos I dont have access in the house but was gonna use web at mates and get some if its possible. Solomons Key & Gunstar Heroes look tempting.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Banners

:: When you get a retro game does it download onto memory (internal or card) or do you have to be connected webwise to play it?

As I understand it, VC games can be downloaded onto your internal 512Mb memory or an SD card but each download is locked-in to the machine its downloaded on. So, you can't take VC games on a card to your mate's house, nor vice versa.

So, in your situation without net access, you'd have to take your Wii to your buddy's house and use that, rather than use his Wii.

M@

TordelBack

"...you'd have to take your Wii to your buddy's house and use that, rather than use his Wii. "

Oh stop, please, my sides hurt!  

dweezil2

Thanks for the info mbanners! Looks like I'll have to buy a wireless router or wait until the Lan adapters out next year. Bummer.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Satanist

Yeah cheers for that info. I was gonna take mine round anyway as mate wont get one till he's had a go on it.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Devons Daddy

the WII is amazing fun.
but we are waiting till likely september
(my birthday) next year for our upgrade.
weigh up the three systems.
make a choice from there.

we are big gamers my son and i. must admit the wii is wonderful fun, but the graphics are good enough for current gen. but next to the ps3 and xbox360. then its a whole differnt call.

but game play wise. its mental.the trauma centre 2nd opionon and the mario cart. will be the system winners i am sure.
next christmas will be the big test of this.i think the WII may well be the dark horse.

its a good price though isnt it.
and even cheaper out here, no VAT in malaysia. which makes is 17% cheaper. thats a fat chunk of change.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

pauljholden

I've got mine. Man, that boxing game hurts.

Any idea how to play other people online?

- pj

Banners

:: Any idea how to play other people online?

You can't play other people online yet - but you can exchange Miis and messages once you've have swapped codes. Amstor's is up there ^^^ and mine is 7630 5030 6777 8609.

Online games will come in early 2007, no doubt followed by the online-enabled Wii Sports 2...(!)

M@

pauljholden

How do you :
a) find out your code
and
b) key other peoples codes in to get messages, etc?

- pj

Bico

I really do like the design of the console itself.  It's just a white brick, like an external hard-drive for a pc or something.  The 360's contours bug me - like you REALLY need organic curves on a videogame console, as if it'll ever be anything other than a big-boy-toy.  And the PS2 was originally chunky but had odd angles sticking out, then the slimline one was just too flimsy.  Original Xbox's half-ton brick was some sort of monster used for the foundations of expensive techno-housing of the future, and the Gamecube was a box with a handle on the back - for reasons unknown.
I like the Wii design - it's made so you can slot it between the video/dvd player/tv and forget all about it.  I do wonder about the disc loading system, though - like an ATM or something.

The Amstor Computer

PJ --

If you go into the messageboard - accessible from the Channels menu by clicking on the envelope at the bottom-right corner of your screen - you'll see an address-book icon on the lower-left side of the board.

Click on that & your address book will appear. The first page will show your console's number. To add someone else, click on register & enter their number & a nickname. Their name will remain greyed-out until they enter your code. Once you've both entered your codes you can then exchange messages, send each other Miis and - once the games start hitting in early 2007 - playing online.

It's relatively simple, but it does require you to either a) know the person you want to match up with or b) find a matchmaking site/message board online where you can swap codes.

The Amstor Computer

Bear --

Yeah, I think the design is another nod toward the wider, non-gaming audience. It's a nice, clean design that's unobtrusive in the way that a DVD player, set-top box or wireless router is.

Can't get over what a great idea the channels are, though. I've seen people who wouldn't usually touch a controller pick up the remote to have a play with the photo channel & Mii channel. It's a great way to get them used to handling a game controller & get them one step closer to playing themselves - which is exactly where basic titles like Wii Sports and Wii Play come in. The whole system is built around that progression from fiddling with non-game content, to playing basic games (even the photo channel has minigames built in!) and then onto the VC or full Wii games.