Main Menu

Morrowind

Started by The Doctor Alt 8, 24 October, 2013, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Doctor Alt 8

I have stared playing this.
Have acquired a pair of boots of lighting speed.

when I put them on... everything went dark...

So how can I use them?

jackstarr

These are the "Boots of Blinding Speed", and hence will blind you when worn!

Morrowind is a game of trade-offs - you get superspeed, but at the expense of being able to see clearly.

Luckily there's a way to get around this - you can use resist magicka to minimise the blinding effect and allow you to see much better.

These boots are also unique and collectable - there's a museum in the expansion Tribunal, and you can sell the boots to the museum for decent cash.

The Doctor Alt 8

Ack! Bloody things got me stuck in a hole & I had to go back to my last game save.

And now I have caught something that has left me with only 3 bloody health points....

Theblazeuk

Heh. Just near the starting town, you'll hear a long, descending scream. Look around for the crumpled body near you or if you are lucky, enjoy the sight of an elf plummeting from the heavens at terminal velocity. Since this is Morrowind, it goes without saying that you'll loot his corpse - where you'll find some lovely scrolls that will let you leap straight over Red Mountain.

Careful how you land though or you'll end up like the first guy.

jackstarr

From your other thread:
Posted by: The Doctor Alt 8
« on: Today at 12:41:57 PM »

Help! I think that I have caught something ( and I have been sooo careful) I only have 3 health points... Harth heal doesn't work. I have taken a cure poison potion and that didn't work either... Strength was at 0 until I took a potions to cure that... But fortitude is stuck at 0 and I can't get the panacea scroll to work... At least it doesn't work like using everything else.... Advice please  ( twitch I am a n addict )

Ok, cure poison won't work, as it looks like you've contracted a disease rather than been poisoned - so you'll need a cure disease potion (or scroll, or spell).  You can make a potion yourself if you know the ingredients (don't cheat though, it's more fun to discover these things as you go), or you can buy a spell, potion or scroll from a vendor.

Hopefully you've contracted a common disease rather than the Blight (which is part of the main quest) - do you know the name of the disease?  If unsure, look at the icons at the bottom right of your screen - you should see a red icon which denotes a negative active effect).

If you mean the Scroll of Daydene's Panacea, that should do the trick if you cast it correctly (you select it and cast it as a spell, and the scroll will vanish from your inventory.  There's always a chance a spell can fail in Morrowind (can't remember if this applies to scrolls though).  I'd suggest always keeping a couple of

jackstarr

continued...

...I'd suggest always keeping a couple of cure disease potions with you, as getting a disease mid-fight or out in the wilderness can often have fatal consequences.  I'm pretty sure the first shopkeeper you meet in Seyda Neen stresses this advice too.

The Doctor Alt 8

Yes I have some of those Panacea scrolls... Donno how to use them.....

The Doctor Alt 8

Damn it.. It WAS the Black heart blight. Ended up restarting the game play at an early saved point which cost me 2 hard earned levels. Considering how many bloody animals keep attacking me ( half of whom are labled" diseased" it wont be long before I catch it again.... >:(

stuck trying to get to and into the ruins for the puzzle box quest.... Been walking around for bloody hours...

jackstarr

Do you know how to cast a spell?  You cast a scroll in the same way - equip it as you would a spell (a scroll icon will appear in your spell box at the bottom left of the screen).  Press the cast key once equipped to cast the scroll.  Common diseases are common, and can be cured with cure common disease - blight diseases are a lot less common and can only be cured with cure blight disease (a lot rarer to find).

For the puzzle box, Hasphat gave you directions when he gave you the quest, but it doesn't get written down in your journal so you have to remember.

I'll give you a head-start:

1) From Balmora, head South out of town past the Silt Strider port.  Before leaving, make sure you have plenty of health potions, and decent armour if possible.
2) Cross the bridges East over the Odai River
3) Head North at the signpost towards Caldera
4) At the nearby signpost to Molag Marr, turn right and head uphill (North East) on the old road to cross an ancient Dwemer bridge over Foyada Mamaea.  Save as soon as you see the bridge.
5) On the bridge will be a powerful enemy - make sure you're prepared, have resist magic, and plenty of health potions.
6)The entrance to Arkngthand is on the east side of the Foyada, South of the bridge.
Turn the crank on a pipe near the door to open it

The Doctor Alt 8

I decided to do something else.... I'm only a level 8 mage and I think I need to be more powerful before I tackle that bu**er on the bridge.

I am getting the impression that my mage/ blade instructors are giving me quests deliberately outside my ability... Am I being paranoid or are they out to get me killed?

There seems to be a few problems with the targeting on spells. I use the crosshairs... it is clearly on the creature/ opponent I want to hit... BUT even though the spell hasn't failed... it looks like they miss...

Some creatures only take one hit now to kill... HOWEVER they don't seem to realize that they are bloody dead and bite you again for 5 seconds before they understand.. !!!!

jackstarr

Heh, yeah, Morrowind can be quite unforgiving, particularly at early levels.

When you move on to Skyrim, you'll be frustrated by Skyrim's easy difficulty, quest handholding, and constantly regenerating health and magicka...!

Combat in Morrowind is more stats-based than real-time - quite often you'll see your character appear to make contact with the enemy, but the dice roll behind the scenes will determine success rather than what you see on screen.  With spells, as long as you hear with "success whoosh" rather than the lower-pitched "failure whoosh" then the spell will be doing damage.  There are mods available which make the combat tactile and responsive rather than stats-based.

Level 8 seems reasonable to start the main quest - but it's possible you're just not ready yet.  Join the mages guild in Balmora, and do a few quests for them before moving on to the main quest.  Make sure you're prepared for any possible combat situation - take plenty of health potions and magicka potions with you- and plenty of resist potions - and be prepared to use them mid-fight.

You mention you're a mage - what race, and what are your current stats, equipment and spells?

The Doctor Alt 8

High Elf born under the Ritual sign.

I'll have to look up the rest.
I have joined the Mage guild in Balmora...

Done a few easy duties... now one wants me to either persuade or kill a mage to join the guild. (and to get to THEM I also have to cross THAT BRIDGE )

another wants me to steal a book.

The fighters guild want me to kill 4 travanti agents who I can't even FIND and probably can't kill either....
They have been stealing stuff from the ebony mine near caldera...

jackstarr

One good option - use the difficulty slider to make the combat easier - you can adjust this at any point during the game, so if you find it tricky at the start, drag the slider until you find the sweet spot for you.  You can always adjust it later on if you find things are getting too easy.

Don't be afraid of adjusting options like this - Morrowind is quite hardcore, and it's a normal course of action to mess with difficulty until you find the right balance for your character.

I think that guy is put on the bridge on purpose - if you can't defeat him, then you'll struggle with some of the other enemies coming your way on the main quest...but he is a right pain in the arkngthand.

One thing you could try is to avoid the bridge entirely, and make your way the long way around to Arkngthand.

Morrowind doesn't have any invisible walls anywhere - if you can see somewhere, you can find a way to get there.

Do you have a paper map that came with your copy of Morrowind?

If not, take a look at this map - http://mwmap.uesp.net/?centeron=Balmora - centred on Balmora - you can see the bridge and that annoying guy ("Snowy Granius") to the east of Balmora.  Maybe try navigating a different route?

Another option could be to get a few potions of levitation or an enchanted item of levitation - then just fly around - or if you feel brave, levitate over him and throw down fireballs while dodging his own missile attacks.

Theblazeuk

RE: the spells - quite a lot of them don't do instakill damage. They hit, then they cause damage over time ("1 fire damage over 10 seconds = 10 fire damage"). Which can lead to spells hitting and then them coming over and smacking you in the face.

A good way to get to grips with them is to try and craft your own spell, and just play around with the sliders. Everything has tradeoffs.

RE: The missions - yes, yes they will send you to places you will likely die. Be good at running or turning invisible. I think I beat the guy on the bridge by being a ranger/thief type with a sideline in alteration magic. I had a spell which let me jump over his head entirely (acrobatics + 50) and I dodged around firing arrows and finally smashing his face in with my sword.

Being a mage...well you're likely quite fragile unless you're building towards a Battlemage build, using heavy armour and destruction magic. Relying entirely on your mana is bad news at the beginning.

jackstarr

QuoteBe good at running or turning invisible.
Hah, yes!  That's a very good point - in Morrowind it's often advisable to avoid trouble wherever possible, and if you need to, don't be afraid to turn and run.  Many a time I turned and ran the other direction, to be chased down by the enemy - if you're close to a settlement you can run up to a guard and let the guards deal with the enemy.
I often choose a character majoring in Athletics and Acrobatics - it allows me to get to places out of harms way, and allows me to outrun an enemy - either to get away from them completely or to put enough distance between us to calculate best combat strategy based on the combat style of the enemy.