Main Menu

I made a CGI MEGA CITY, any good ?

Started by Cooper, 17 July, 2019, 08:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Amazing stuff. Well done, I love it.

This is what the first Dredd film should have looked like. Although ideally it would have had different actors, a different plot and different dialogue too. And a different director.

But I digress.  At the risk of being given an inch and expecting a mile, do you have an animated version of it, Dan?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 July, 2019, 07:08:25 PM
I love it anyway, and I'm looking forward to seeing more  They remind me of that Brendan McCarthy colour Dredd in one of the annuals - can't remember the name but there were hot girls in it and someone called Chivon.

The new Lawmaster and slimline H-Wagon are lovely too.

She-Devils, 2000AD Annual 1987.

BPP

Tbh I find the overuse of 90s cultural signifiers very jarring and breaks any notion that it's a real futurescape rather than one drawn by someone who really likes Rik Mayall. One or two Easter eggs is fine, an image of non-stop late c-20th references isn't.

On the other side the bike and Clara Pandy look turbo.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Cooper

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 17 July, 2019, 10:02:04 PM
Amazing stuff. Well done, I love it.

This is what the first Dredd film should have looked like. Although ideally it would have had different actors, a different plot and different dialogue too. And a different director.

But I digress.  At the risk of being given an inch and expecting a mile, do you have an animated version of it, Dan?

It took 24 to 48 hours to render a frame with atmospherics, which is why the levels in some of em are very dark, I had to guess the best settings and come back a day later, so sorry no animated version but I was planning on it when I get better hardware, I don't have access to a render farm either.

Cooper

Quote from: BPP on 18 July, 2019, 11:08:45 AM
Tbh I find the overuse of 90s cultural signifiers very jarring and breaks any notion that it's a real futurescape rather than one drawn by someone who really likes Rik Mayall. One or two Easter eggs is fine, an image of non-stop late c-20th references isn't.

Thanks, I had always assumed the naming convention for blocks in MC1 was after dead 20th century entertainers, if this is wrong then I can certainly change it, I made all this shortly after what for me was a awful period when it seemed that all my favorite entertainers were dying en-mass, I couldn't keep up at times.

JayzusB.Christ

It works for me.  There's a long tradition of MC1 citiblocks being named after obscure pop culture flash-in-the-pan celebrities, which is very much part of the comedy side of Dredd's world.
There is an Andrew Ridgely Block in Wagner's MC1.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Cooper

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 July, 2019, 06:44:43 PM

It works for me.  There's a long tradition of MC1 citiblocks being named after obscure pop culture flash-in-the-pan celebrities, which is very much part of the comedy side of Dredd's world.

I remember Des O Connor and I'm sure I've seen a Buster Keaton, I just looked up Rowdy Yates and realized its a fictional character played by Clint Eastwood (the Uber Dredd)

radiator

I would put a little more consideration into the colour palette - those stark, oversaturated yellow, blue and red tones seem to dominate the cityscape and are very artificial/unconvincing to the eye, and combined with the use of the comic sans font on one of the buildings the scenes unintentionally evoke the feeling of a late 90s web domain.

I also think the compositions are a bit busy - it's hard to discern where one building ends and another begins. I think more tonal variation on the buildings and a more complex lighting setup would help.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 July, 2019, 06:44:43 PM

Better yet, there's a Dean Gaffney!
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 18 July, 2019, 08:41:40 PM
Better yet, there's a Dean Gaffney!

Cruel, but funny:

Mandroid (1454), by John Wagner & Kev Walker

The Legendary Shark

Colin MacNeil named a building the Dale Winton Underhang at my suggestion. (Pointless Claim to Fame Department.)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 July, 2019, 09:33:51 PM
Colin MacNeil named a building the Dale Winton Underhang at my suggestion. (Pointless Claim to Fame Department.)

You should have said, mate!  It's good to know the disgusting Mark Millar-style homophobia was yours and not MacNeil!

Funt Solo

I often find myself utterly bamboozled with the intent of posts. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Frank

pauljholden

Quote from: Frank on 18 July, 2019, 09:53:01 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 July, 2019, 09:33:51 PM

You should have said, mate!  It's good to know the disgusting Mark Millar-style homophobia was yours and not MacNeil!

Honestly, I'm bamboozled, it seems like just a very silly Dale Wintonesque double entendre. I accept I may be missing it, but I don't see anything inherently homophobic. Be grateful if you could explain your thinking.