Main Menu

Non 2000ad artwork that you own ....

Started by Fatboydale, 20 January, 2013, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Picked up a few pages of 'Hell's Highway' from Action comic recently, dating back to the year of my birth, 1976. Here's the most action-packed (pun not intended) - art is by the late Mike White, probably best known round these parts for his work on Mean Arena, Disaster 1990 and Abelard Snazz. What's particularly fascinating about this one (to me, anyway) is that it was presumably drawn pre-ban, but published a couple of months afterwards, meaning there's some very clear censorship in the art and dialogue. The chap at the bottom left is clearly intended to be dead, but the spray of blood from his chest has been whited-out, and dialogue changed to show he's only been 'winged'. Likewise, all the people flattened by the bank vault door have clearly been splattered, but no, they're only 'unconscious'. Gritty art nonetheless.

hippynumber1

It looks like there's been massive dialogue change. Interesting stuff...

Graff Vynda K

Very cool and interesting. I love all that textural stuff; comics as narratives that are never fully complete. Beautiful artwork too.

maryanddavid

Really nice Greg, very interesting to see the censorship on the page. Sid Bicknell and Nick Landau took over as Editors and had to tone it down.
Just curious, is it definitely Mike White?

Greg M.

I think so, David, though I wouldn't say he's an artist I'm very knowledgeable about - I could be wrong. I have three other pages (from the first couple of episodes of the series, pre-ban) and the art all seems pretty similar to me. It was my understanding that White drew it until January 1977 when Jim Eldridge took over - this page is from December '76. If anyone else drew it, it's not documented over on The Sevenpenny Nightmare.

Colin YNWA

Wow I love that aspect of original art the little, or well in this case considerable, insights you get into the creative process.

Another thing for me about that one if you'd have asked me who'd done it prior to saying I'd have plugged got Jose Ortiz. In certain panels I'd have sworn blind it was by him. I often get stuff like this and people either don't agree, or see comparisons with some one else, but here to my eyes (and a lot of it is around the eyes as it goes) its very Ortiz.

Greg M.

I can totally see what you're saying, Colin - the top left and bottom left panels in particular have an Ortiz vibe for sure. I've some bigger scans on my CAF site of three of the panels (including the 'winged him' one) if anyone wants a closer look. Plus scans of other pages of the same episode are here, down at the bottom:  http://www.sevenpennynightmare.co.uk/?p=1120

maryanddavid

Its from the 3rd issue post ban, Mike white had left 'Hell's Highway' to draw Kids Rule pre ban, according to Martin Bakers book. It still looks like Mike Whites earlier art on 'Hell's Highway' but those panels that are mentioned look slightly different.
Really great page.

Greg M.

Wow! Cheers for that info, David! This page has turned out to hold a lot more mystery than I realised.

Fatboydale

Great page , and without any info , i would have Jose Ortiz was the artist ??

Greg M.

The more I look at scans of the rest of the story, the more convinced I am that you guys are right and I've unexpectedly scored an Ortiz! Is there any way to find out for certain?

maryanddavid

I'd have a go at giving David Roach a look on FB he is pretty sharp on IDing artists, and he is a huge Ortiz fan.

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Greg M.

Quote from: maryanddavid on 06 September, 2013, 08:21:58 PM
I'd have a go at giving David Roach a look on FB he is pretty sharp on IDing artists, and he is a huge Ortiz fan.

Thanks for the suggestion, David!

Bubba Zebill

...I'm may be wrong but I see a little more similarity to Mike White.

But check this out...lovely bit of drawing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqMi6X_fpAs
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105