Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Thor: Ragnarok is as formulaic, insubstantial and exposition heavy as we've come to expect from the Marvel movies.
It's further handicapped by a poorly developed antagonist and a rather flacid climax.
What it does have in spades is some rather effective humour and some obvious chemistry between an excellent cast who bring their A game to bare and elevate the whole enterprise into something exceptionally enjoyable, resulting in one of the better films in the franchise.
Nice use of Led Zep too!   :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Smith

Pumpkinhead Its a serviceable 80's horror.It doesn't really have an identity of its own,but its okay.
Final Destination Im not sure why does this movie work,but it works.I guess its fun to guess what household accident is going to happen.Or is that just me?  :-\
Nightmare on Elm Street 4 It was meh,but Freddy had some snappy one-liners.

Frank

Quote from: Smith on 28 October, 2017, 09:26:17 AM
Final Destination Im not sure why does this movie work,but it works.I guess its fun to guess what household accident is going to happen.

Like the first ten minutes of Casualty.

Zarjazzer

The Mummy 2017-missing just about everything that re-incarnated (oh! see what i did there!) the franchise in the early twoothies. It was okay but not exactly stellar. No real humour and a cast that seemed a bit lost. Too many distractions (Aussie flap-mouth Russell Crowe as Jekyll and Hyde, okay I suppose, he didn't seem to be acting during the Hyde parts) ,  the mummy herself was the best thing in it but, as she spent alot of time in a box or chained she was a bit of a loss. Not terrible but hardly scary and too desperate to make it as a monster franchise. Tom Cruise  and the others were alright.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Professor Bear

I thought The Mummy could have been salvaged with a more focused final act - [spoiler]smashing the stone[/spoiler] would have been the obvious point to wrap things up - but instead it just went off on a bunch of tangents and hand-waving.  The Easter eggs that established other Universal monsters were okay, but the use of Jekyl & Hyde was overplayed and never went anywhere, so it really stuck out as unnecessary.

Mattofthespurs

Thor: Ragnorak

Decent film. Very much on the light side. Enjoyed it but not as much as Winter Soldier or either of the GotG movies. A solid 7/10.

Happy to watch it again on blu ray but I won't be going back to the cinema to see it again.

Tiplodocus

FOUR CHRISTMASES.
If you add together all of the manipulative shite you get in rom-coms together with all of the manipulative shite you get in Christmas movies you still wouldn't get close to the contents of this utterly joyless manipulative turd of a movie with a nonsensical tacked on "happy" ending. I thought Reese Witherspoon was meant to be able to do comedy. And as some wag pointed out, Vince Vaughan looks like he's eaten as many turkeys as he has starred in.

Four CHRISTMASES? More like Four Shites.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Thor: Ragnarok
Utterly astonishing, visually stunning, hilarious and just completely brilliant in just about every way possible. Not only my favourite Marvel movie by miles, but everything I go to the cinema for, in 2hrs 10mins. Just about perfect, and I cannot wait to see it again. And again. It flew by, even with a full bladder.
Stan and Jack have never been better served, and bits were as close to Kirby's amazing pages as it's possible to get.
SBT

Buttonman

I enjoyed 'Get Out' - late to this party but it was well worth the watch - reminded me of 'Society' but I bet I'm not the first to say that.

Also really liked What Happened to Monday which jumped from Netfix straight into my 'W' Blog boat. Sex, violence, sci-fi and swearing - all good stuff!

I, Cosh

Quite surprised by the odd mixture of Cowboys & Aliens. It was just as ridiculous as I'd always assumed but played absolutely straight rather than with the tongue in cheek I expected. Surprising amount of grit and gore, of the type which I'm sure 10 year old boys approve. At the other end of the spectrum, take out some of the more saccharine character arcs and Craig and Ford could easily have carried this as a straight-up, no chaser Western. Odd.

I would hardly ever go out of my way to watch a Spielberg film, but almost always enjoy them when I do. He must be doing something right, I suppose. Catch Me if You Can is a textbook example. The subject matter didn't interest me at all but Tom and Leo's entertaining cat and mouse act is wrapped up in such a slick package it's impossible not to be entertained.
We never really die.

Mattofthespurs

Jigsaw (6.5/10)

Despite having only seen the first two films out of this franchise I quite enjoyed this one.
It's exactly what I expected with no real scares but plenty of gore and a twisty bit at the end.

Good, Halloween fun.

Keef Monkey

Went to see Prince of Darkness in a church the other night. I've always considered it Carpenter's most underrated film, because me and Mrs Monkey both find it to be one of the scariest horrors out there. Not sure why it strikes such a nerve of terror with us, it is pretty hokey on the face of it but all that apocalyptic Brotherhood of Sleep and Satan in a canister stuff just shits us right up.

It worked great in the church, and it definitely added another level of dread to it, and the amazing soundtrack sounded great. Partially ruined by the couple behind me who talked through the entire thing, and in a sneery 'aren't horror movies stupid' sort of way. Not sure why they were there, or why they thought other people would be happy to pay £11 to listen to their hipster snark for 2hrs, but clearly it was beneath them and they needed everyone in the room to know it.

Despite that, what felt great was that there were people there who clearly hadn't seen it and you could really feel how effective the movie was in their reactions. There was one particular jump scare (you probably know it if you've seen it) where the entire room completely lost their shit (even the chatty hipster snides) and it was glorious. Plus there was a real sense of panic in the place as things escalate towards the end. And boy do I love the way the film escalates. Such a slow suspenseful build and then things get really wild and just keep on going that way. Excellent stuff.

Still great, and it feels like people often talk about the mid to late '80s as being when Carpenter's stuff started to get poor, which I can't get on with, because Starman, Big Trouble In Little China, They Live, Prince of Darkness and In The Mouth of Madness, is a pretty fantastic run of output, all of which I rate really, really highly. So really he just made a couple of duffers in the '90s so that's pretty good going.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 30 October, 2017, 01:59:37 PM
Went to see Prince of Darkness in a church the other night. I've always considered it Carpenter's most underrated film, because me and Mrs Monkey both find it to be one of the scariest horrors out there. Not sure why it strikes such a nerve of terror with us, it is pretty hokey on the face of it but all that apocalyptic Brotherhood of Sleep and Satan in a canister stuff just shits us right up.
Yeah. Even though it's just Assault on Precint 13 with zombies I've always enjoyed this one too.
We never really die.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 30 October, 2017, 01:59:37 PMNot sure why they were there, or why they thought other people would be happy to pay £11 to listen to their hipster snark for 2hrs, but clearly it was beneath them and they needed everyone in the room to know it.

From experience, I can tell you that while these people are sometimes just passers-by who spot events and only go in to sneer, most often they've got their tickets for free through promotions, well-intentioned gifts, or acquaintances in event/venue staff.  They generally bring everyone else down because the event has literally no value to them.

Magnetica

We thought let's watch a movie on Saturday night. My wife then said "how about a Tom Hanks movie?" So we searched for one on Netflix and came up with The Circle.

First thing to say is, it is actually more of an Emma Watson movie than a Tom Hanks movie. He is in it for probably less than ten minutes (and no I didn't count), where as she is on screen virtually the whole time. Fortunately she is the best thing about the movie. As for the rest of it...well we thought it wasn't great.

It's a Netflix original and is probably the least best thing I have seen that is.

There is no point spoiler tagging anything as they telegraph what the whole movie is about in the first ten minutes: keen young worker gets a job at an Internet giant and despite them portraying everything they do as for good / your benefit, they really aren't and everyone's privacy gets sacrificed in the process. And don't get me started on the "optional" work social activities.

It was all just too obvious what was going to happen. We rated it one star.

Bizarrely it was described as a sci-fi, but really all of the tech on show is around now or probably could be made with the state of technology today without much of a stretch at all.