Main Menu

Red Dwarf is Coming Back

Started by karlos, 18 October, 2019, 03:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2019/10/18/red-dwarf-special-announced/

...Plus 3 new documentaries, and chance to get tix to see it being filmed.

Not sure it's the "first" feature length special, but so what?

As mixed as I've found the Dave series, I'm still stoked.

Greg M.

Well, Doug Naylor's always wanted a Red Dwarf movie - looks like he's finally going to get one. I'd probably just rather have another series, but maybe Doug can use the format to bring RD to a conclusion.

Mattofthespurs

I'd rather have nothing. Red Dwarf was of it's time and was perfectly realised without the added series or anything new.

I still cringe at the AA adverts (although I'm assuming that the new series will be better written).

It's something I enjoyed immensely during it's original run but it's had it's day and then some.

Leave it be.

Greg M.

Any notion of Red Dwarf being perfectly realised in its original incarnation fell by the wayside after series VII and especially VIII. X, XI and XII have undoubtedly been inconsistent, and powered by a degree of nostalgia, but they've also been impressively ambitious and have produced episodes, like 'The Beginning' and 'Mechocracy', that are the equal of much of the classic stuff.

MacabreMagpie

I think the most perfectly realised incarnation of Red Dwarf is the first book, 'Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers' personally! Though my favourite TV era is series 5-6. I even like a lot of the drama-comedy in 7 but understand why some don't.... unfortunately the awful series 8 was a bit of a reaction to that with the emphasis on jokes over plot.

I've enjoyed the Dave era for the most part (bar two or three bad episodes, but many very good ones) so I'm excited for it to come back and will try and get tix.

Dandontdare

I'm ambivalent but cautiously optimistic. Later series have been a lot better, but the last time they went off-format we ended up with Welcome to Earth *shudder*

MacabreMagpie

The TV broadcast was pretty terrible but I found the director's cut watchable. Plus it has some very emotionally satisfying character development, though again that obviously won't appeal to the fans who just want comedy.

Greg M.

Been reading Richard Naylor's twitter (Doug's son, RD producer) where he's been besieged by questions (most of which are 'Would you like some toast?') He's said they were offered the chance to do two back-to-back specials, but thought they'd just do one to see how it went, and that this doesn't preclude the possibility of a series XIII. He also said there were plans for Holly to be involved... but not which one.

Re: Back to Earth - agreed, seen in one go as a director's cut, I found it perfectly enjoyable. Craig is superb in it - he'd come a long way as an actor.

Dandontdare

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 18 October, 2019, 09:57:20 PMit has some very emotionally satisfying character development, though again that obviously won't appeal to the fans who just want comedy.

From a sitcom? Perish the thought.

IndigoPrime

I thought WTE was terrible, even in one go. It reminded me of the drama Red Dwarf but without the budget. I've enjoyed the Dave series. I'd sooner see another of those. Still, this is better than nothing.

Greg M.

Are we finally seeing our first real, actual, non-Danny cat since 'Waiting for God'? Praise be to Naylor - we've been waiting 32 years for this!

Dandontdare

Quote from: Greg M. on 08 February, 2020, 06:43:36 PM
Are we finally seeing our first real, actual, non-Danny cat since 'Waiting for God'? Praise be to Naylor - we've been waiting 32 years for this!

One of my favourite episodes. So much potential to be had from the cats.

MacabreMagpie

There was another cat-based episode planned years ago that (if I recall) they didn't have the budget for in the end. But it was mocked up using storyboards on a previous DVD release. Here it is for those interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6zV699kIkY

Greg M.

With, inevitably, Chris Barrie doing all the voices. Worth it for that alone.